Goblins Lair

wanderinfinn

Adrenaline Junkie
A good friend of mine had some friends in town from Cali, and wanted to show them what Utah had to offer. Since they had no real canyoneering experience, we decided to take them on something short but fun. Goblins Lair in Goblin Valley was decided up, with a trip to ride dirt bikes in Hanksville afterwards. We drove down to Goblin and I went to check on the new permit system they had. i spoke with the ranger, who informed me that he had no idea on how to even fill out the permit, as we were the first group to request one. We double checked the directions, then headed across the valley to the white mound on the other side. I thought the directions were pretty vague, so I brought along my GPS. They read something like " Walk to the white mound. Turn left. Follow the drainage which flows out of the park." So it turns out that you don't have too many options once you turn left.
1s.jpg
We snaked our way through the sandstone and probably 20 minutes after starting out, we arrived at the only rappel on the route. There is a sandstone horn on which a sling was already in place. I backed it up with one of my own, just in case.
2s.jpg
The three amigos went first, after which I removed the sling and rapped down myself.
3s.jpg
I paused on-rope to switch to the fisheye lens.
4s.jpg

5s.jpg

6s.jpg

7s.jpg

I had read somewhere that for an extra challenge, try to follow the water route out of the Lair (formerly called the Chamber of the Basilisk). It was a small tunnel, which we did try to follow, but ended up narrowing down to approximately 4" tall.
9s.jpg
So we scrambled out over the boulder field, hiked around the sandstone formation, and took the wash back towards the truck. The directions said to follow the wash to the road, but we decided to hike a different way and ended up back in the valley itself.
8s.jpg

10s.jpg

11s.jpg

12s.jpg
We posed for some pictures and then headed out to Hanksville for some riding.

13s.jpg
Late evening shot of our campsite.

14s.jpg
The dirt is gray in the daylight, but the firelight casts a red glow.

15s.jpg
One more night image.

16s.jpg
These ladies rip!

17s.jpg
Adina catching some air.

18s.jpg
More airtime.

19s.jpg

Featured image for slideshow:
slide.jpg

We double checked the directions, then headed across the valley to the white mound on the other side. I thought the directions were pretty vague, so I brought along my GPS. They read something like " Walk to the white mound. Turn left. Follow the drainage which flows out of the park." So it turns out that you don't have too many options once you turn left.

Just turn left at the entrada boulder:twothumbs:

Looks like an awesome trip! Hiking and biking - can't get much better than that! Great photos and TR

WOW. About 4-5 years ago I was exploring deep into Goblin with my wife, son and nephews and came upon this DEEP shaft that scared the crap out of us. Was this the lair?

The picture looks familiar, but its kind of hard to tell. There is a sandstone horn about 10' back from the drop. The drop is 90' if I remember correctly. We brought along a 200' rope, which was plenty long.

Back