Goat Rocks attempt & Tahklak Lake

My newer to backpacking friend and I tried to hit up the Goat Rocks Wilderness last weekend. It was the only area in the mountains that seemed to be free of a potential thunderstorm. Little did we know the weather laughed at us and was good pretty much everywhere... Anyways I chose the Nanny Ridge route as it was pretty far south (for snow melt and sunshine purposes) plus if it weren't to workout the mileage is pretty minimal and easy. The snow report said there was still snow there but after my past backpacking ventures this year I stopped believing it as it seemed to grossly over estimate the amount of snow present. IT GOT THE GOAT ROCKS CORRECT. After 5000ft there is considerable amounts of snow on the north slopes where the trail ascends. It was 70*, something the weather also said wouldn't happen and everything was melting like crazy. It was basically raining from the trees. We lost the trail under the 3-5 foot deep build ups of snow but it was wet and icy and compact enough to walk on and not posthole. We made it toward the top, dropped our packs for the final off trail push only to be disappointed that the south side, which gets the most sun, is still covered in an unholy amount of really wet snow. Both my friend and I being from Michigan snow camping isn't exactly what we consider "fun" as we are just tired of seeing it in our life and want nothing more to do with it. We descended and went to Tahklak to camp for the night.

When we got back to the TH the clouds broke up and it seems that the Howard Lake approach is pretty snow free. At that point though my friend was pretty physically shot and just wanted to rest.

Luckily I got 2 weeks off coming up, 1 solo trip and many day hikes and the following week I got a trip organized with Joey C. (MyOwnFrontier) and his friend Aaron. Hopefully the weather is good...

I didn't take too many pics on the hike because it was cloudy, wet and you couldn't see anything remarkable.

XKq6NDf.jpg

After we got back the blue skies erupted everywhere revealing the less snow packed route. (We would ascend on mountain left and continue left.)
paAv3R0.jpg

Tahklak Lake, my favorite front country CG
wzaEM76.jpg

fkG50Kt.jpg

Behind the camera a half moon ruined the stargazing a bit.
4DgSoqh.jpg

Not to leave you all hanging on what they look like (the Goat rocks). Here is from my trip last year in July to the goat rocks and what they look like.
uzEPdOQ.jpg

wWHLVIi.jpg

Enq6fUx.jpg

Sorry it wasn't an ideal trip. It does look beautiful though!
Good thing you have your upcoming time off to look forward to!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
jason.scientist part human part goat Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
misSOULa Montana's Pintler Wilderness: Goat Flat and Mount Tiny Backpacking 6
Ben Sawtooths, Baron Creek and Goat Creek, July 2014 Backpacking 22
Duke Goat Lake, Sawtooth Range Backpacking 3
Duke Goat Lake Idaho Backpacking 15
Janice Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan's Upper Peninsula Backpacking 6
Titans Fun shaped Rocks Photography 26
balzaccom Stacking Rocks General Discussion 1
Stephanie B Behind the Rocks, Ken's Lake Faux Falls, U-Turn Canyon, Seven Mile Canyon, and Dark Angel Hiking & Camping 4
Vegan.Hiker Hopewell Rocks, Cape d'Or, Canada Everything Else 12
J Dayhikes GSENM, Cap Reef, Behind the Rocks: Deer Cr, Tanks, Sheets Gulch, Moab Rim Apr. 4 to 8, 2018 Hiking & Camping 0
Ugly It's just a bunch of Rocks... Hiking & Camping 13
Kullaberg63 Indecision Peak, Red Rocks, NV Hiking & Camping 0
Curt Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore On The Water 17
Nick Escalante On The Rocks On The Water 42
Ben Gooding City of Rocks, Coyote Creek Hiking & Camping 10
Opi Pictured Rocks 2013 Hiking & Camping 10
Ross The Needles, Behind the Rocks and Goblin Valley area Hiking & Camping 5
Ross Poison Spider Mesa views of Behind the Rocks Trip Planning 3
Ross Invite Halls Creek Narrows.....(& perhaps Needles/Behind The Rocks) Meet Up (Members Only) 12
DownUnderNoel The Pilbara: Red dust, trees, rocks and holes in the ground Everything Else 12
Seldom Seen Anderson Church Rocks Hiking & Camping 7
BrettCottrell Seneca Rocks, West Virginia Hiking & Camping 7
Jammer Behind the Rocks Backpacking 10
slc_dan Hamburger Rocks via The Post -Capitol Reef- Backpacking 14
gnwatts Clik Elite rocks! General Discussion 0
Alison Desert Rocks- Moab 2012 General Discussion 0
kwc A futile attempt at The Long Trail Vermont Backpacking 4
Kullaberg63 Hillers Attempt Hiking & Camping 2
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Okanogan National Forest : Copper Glance Lake & failed attempt at No Dice Lake Backpacking 2
misSOULa Into the Winds: Titcomb Basin and Gannett Peak Attempt Backpacking 6
scatman Ensign Peak to Grandview Peak Attempt Hiking & Camping 10
Perry My First Attempt at Astrophotography Photography 5
Jackson A Winter Attempt of Provo Peak Backpacking 9
Miya A First Attempt at Snowshoeing - Now I am Hooked Winter Sports 12
fossana Zinke's last ditch attempt to suppress Dept of the Interior FoIA requests (public comment open) General Discussion 2
K TR 5-6 An Attempt to find a beautiful pink-ish Sunset in SEKI Backpacking 5
scatman Lookout Peak Attempt - April 22, 2017 Hiking & Camping 6
WasatchWill Summit Park to Provo Attempt Backpacking 3
Udink Early Uintas Attempt Backpacking 8
Tyler First Time lapse attempt with my GoPro Photography 0