Glacier Nat'l Park - "The Collector"

chandlerwest

I probably have alluded to this previously but I am proudly declaring it today. I am a "Collector" of Glacier National Park trail miles. Circumstances, desire and life events have blessed me with the opportunity to visit Glacier over a 39 years period. I solely day hike so accumulating miles could be considered limited. The need to out and back damn nearly everything accumulates over the decades. (For what it is worth I guesstimate my total miles hiked in GNP to be 1,603 miles. Give or take.) There are 734 miles of trail in GNP. After this August week I stand at 370 miles. More than half way which isn't bad for a day hiker. I have two lists. Hikes that I have not completed but logistically could, and hikes that I have not done since the mid 1980's that I could gladly do again. I believe that 400 miles is well within my grasp. But........the easy access trails are pretty much completed.

This week was going to be a high altitude week. My friend Kurt has only been to Glacier in August a couple times since 1985 so he was wanting to get elevation and, smoke from the annual fire seasons, has discouraged me from much altitude recently. We entered the week optimistic about our desire. But Kurt recently had some medical stuff come up and neither of us knew how that would play out. So....we were also guarded and flexible. Turns out that flexibility was required and personally this turned into the biggest mileage week, ever, for me. (68.4 miles)

Not sure how the week would progress we tackled the crux of the trip on Day 1. Swiftcurrent Lookout. A 16.6 mile day with approximately 3,600 feet of gain and decent in the middle. Plus there is a 1.5-2 hour commute to, then from, the trail head. Quite a day.

This is my first photo taken during the week. Another thousand or so to go. It is psychologically impossible for me Not to shoot pictures! Reflection in Red Rock Lake. Swiftcurrent Lookout is at the top of the pyramid on the right.
IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2243.jpg

Bullhead Lake.
IMG_2255.jpg

Kurt queried as to how the trail gets up there. One step at a time!
IMG_2257.jpg

Falls coming down from snow fields and Swiftcurrent Glacier above.
IMG_2279.jpg

The string of lakes progressively show themselves as we climb.
IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2283.jpg

Nodding Onions
IMG_2291.jpg

Blanket Flowers
IMG_2296.jpg

Flax backed by Buckwheat
IMG_2298.jpg

There is no trail to get to the Windmaker Lake on the left. We wonder how it might be to bush whack there. Another day?......nah.
IMG_2307.jpg

Kurt, with his Hunter Eyes, had spotted these Mountain Goats from a great distance and height away. Not sure if they came down to us or we got up to them.
IMG_2309.jpg

We spotted this Moose far below us.
IMG_2314.jpg

Yellow Columbine
IMG_2321.jpg

I have spent so much time with Glacier wildflowers I should know what they all are. But I have blind spots. This is a Aster/Daisy/Fleabane....ha It's purple!
IMG_2323.jpg

Beardtongue
IMG_2331.jpg

The first view to the other side at Swiftcurrent Pass. Heaven's Peak
IMG_2333.jpg

The Lookout up yonder
IMG_2336.jpg

Cushion Buckwheat
IMG_2350.jpg

First views to the north.
IMG_2351.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

Back towards Logan Pass
IMG_2354.jpg

It's closer but looks farther away. I tried to teach Kurt the chandlerwest mantra of "Maintain Discipline." Taking short steps. Not concerned about covering distance. Just slowly moving forward. Of course I am helped by stopping to take pictures often.
IMG_2355.jpg

Mountain Aven/Dryas
IMG_2356.jpg

Longfellow Peak
IMG_2364.jpg

Alpine Chickweed
IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2371.jpg

I never get tired of seeing evidence of shallow seas/lapping water at 8,000 feet.
IMG_2375.jpg

We made it!!!
IMG_2376.jpg

North up toward Stoney Indian
IMG_2377.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

Mt. Wilbur
IMG_2379.jpg

From top to bottom. Duck Lake on the Blackfoot Reservation in the hazy distance. Lake Sherbourne (a reservoir). Swiftcurrent Lake and Many Glacier Hotel. Fishercap Lake. Red Rock Lake. Two unnamed lakes. Bullhead Lake. Windmaker Lake.
IMG_2396.jpg

I forgot that I had software to stitch photos together but I found a couple that worked. That is Granite Park Chalet on the far right. Swiftcurrent Glacier, left center.
IMG_2399a Swiftcurrent Lookout-2.jpg

Mt. Gould with the rounded Gem Glacier tucked on the ridge below and Swiftcurrent Glacier
IMG_2400.jpg

IMG_2406b Swiftcurrent-2.jpg

Time to make our way down.
IMG_2420.jpg

Curved Beaked Lousewort
IMG_2432.jpg

Taking photos I would fall way behind Kurt. At one point I saw where he was and had to laugh. "It takes two to get this far apart. Me taking pictures and him not waiting for me."
IMG_2438.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

IMG_2447.jpg

In 1983 I rode a horse up this trail. I can remember Spider trying to scrape me off on these walls.
IMG_2452.jpg

Wonderful shadows
IMG_2463.jpg

Most beautiful Indian Paintbrush
IMG_2465.jpg

IMG_2469.jpg

Bog Orchid
IMG_2473.jpg

Back at Bullhead Lake
IMG_2479.jpg

Pipsissewa. This little flower became the star of my week. So tiny and close to the ground and I saw it often.
IMG_2489.jpg

Day 2 - We were both feeling the previous day so we got a later roll out of the cabin. Decided to do a 10.9 mile day. Otokomi Lake. A trail that I last did in 1986. The hike went through the 2015 Reynold's Creek fire burn area. There was much discussion about the Wonder of fire burns. How it opens up the views. How you can see the terrain. How you can see the forest coming back.

Above St. Mary Lake.
IMG_2501.jpg

I told Kurt "this one is for @scatman ". So I had to describe Hugh and his Yellowstone travails. I believe that Yellowstone has grounds for a lawsuit for copyright infringement by Glacier Nat'l Park. Yellowstone owns the rights to blow downs.
IMG_2507.jpg

in 2018 Jeff and I attempted to climb Otokomi Mtn. This is a 2018 shot of the gorgeous burnt forest that we had to use to gain access
IMG_2512 8556.jpg

In June and earlier this morning I could tell that the standing stags were substantially less than in previous years. When I saw what happened to the access route I was open mouth, dumbfounded. It is a blown down rats nest. It looks like a bad comb over.
IMG_2513.jpg

Our first looks of the head wall where the lake is located.
IMG_2519.jpg

We were following Rose Creek. Numerous waterfalls and cascades
IMG_2523.jpg

Bergamot
IMG_2529.jpg

IMG_2541.jpg

IMG_2551.jpg

Kurt began to ask me specific questions about the trail. I felt bad that my best response seemed to be "I don't know......it was 1986." He was definitely grasping for something. Please note the Beargrass. The taller stems along the trail. The Beargrass must have been brilliant a couple weeks prior.
IMG_2557.jpg

I could tell the Kurt was struggling behind me. He finally hollered and asked more question about the remaining trail and took off his boots. His right heel was a raw sore. Any blister was long busted. We plugged along for a while and eventually stopped stared at each other. He said that he was thinking about telling me to continue on and turning back. I told him that I was wondering if he was waiting for me to tell him to turn around and go back. Not knowing precisely what was ahead, but knowing that it was at least 4 miles down to the truck, he tapped out. With sadness I trudged on. Turning around occasionally hoping to see him continuing slowly behind me. Turned out it was another 25 minutes to the lake.
IMG_2569.jpg

He had asked me if there was a view of the lake or is it one you don't see until you get to it. I surmised that there was no view. Which was the case.
IMG_2572.jpg

Otokomi Lake. All I remembered of this hike was the lake. Blue with red cliffs around it. Making it, kind of, unique in my mind.
IMG_2577.jpg

IMG_2578.jpg

IMG_2584.jpg

Making my way back out.
IMG_2615.jpg

IMG_2620.jpg

First view of St. Mary Lake
IMG_2649.jpg

IMG_2654.jpg

Day 3 - We were hoping that Kurt would possibly be able to hike later on in the week. He said that he would help me with the logistics on trails that I had not yet hiked. I dropped my car at the Fish Creek Picnic Area and he drove me to the head of Lake McDonald. I was going to hike the North Shore of Lake McDonald. 10.4 miles. It traverses burn area for 100% of its length. Not exactly a trail on anybodies to do list. Just the right thing for me!!!!!
IMG_2661.jpg

I had 2-3 miles of dirt road to walk before the official trail head. It was a glorious morning. I even found a couple blackberry bushes!!!!!
IMG_2675.jpg

I remember watching video of people driving through a tunnel of flames as they escaped the Howe Ridge Fire in 2018. This very road!
IMG_2679.jpg

Looking across to McDonald Lodge
IMG_2681.jpg

I was seeing dramatic shots everywhere.
IMG_2685.jpg

Mt. Stanton
IMG_2687.jpg

IMG_2697.jpg

Goldenrod - Once I got to the trail I had no idea what type of shape it would be in. It isn't well traveled and would it be downfall after downfall? It was pretty sweet. Definitely lightly used but fairly maintained.
IMG_2698.jpg

IMG_2708.jpg

IMG_2713.jpg

Oxeyed Daisy
IMG_2717.jpg

Orange Hawkweed
IMG_2727.jpg

Prickly Lettuce
IMG_2730.jpg

Constantly looking behind me to see how the view changed
IMG_2753.jpg

Trying to capture the suppleness of the lake
IMG_2759.jpg

An interesting thing was seeing the various levels of fire burn. A handful of fires have come through over the century.
IMG_2761.jpg

IMG_2762.jpg

There is a back country campsite out here. Seems odd because the Going To The Sun road and it multitudes are a mile across the lake. Plus the site doesn't seem like it would work into a multi day backpack. But it had the best damn beach I would ever hope for. I could see myself packing into this spot for a night.
IMG_2773.jpg

IMG_2775.jpg

IMG_2776.jpg

IMG_2780.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

Just beyond the camp the trail was swallowed up by tall brush.
IMG_2795.jpg

IMG_2798.jpg

IMG_2803.jpg

IMG_2813.jpg

IMG_2819.jpg

The Little Matterhorn finally popping out.
IMG_2824.jpg

I came upon a forest that had active regrowth
IMG_2843.jpg

IMG_2848.jpg

IMG_2860.jpg

IMG_2861.jpg

As I reached the Fish Creek Campground the fire suppression policy slaps you in the face. The forest immediately became thick and dark as they attempt to protect populated areas.
IMG_2866.jpg

Day 4 - A twofer

I said to Kurt. "Tell me if this sound okay. We both drive towards Two Medicine (the east side). I park my car at Milepost 193.7. Hop in your truck and you drop me off at the trail head at the Two Med entrance station. I hike the Dry Fork Connector and come around to Two Medicine Lake were you can fish. You then drive me to Marias Pass and drop me off. I then hike the Autumn Creek Trail back to my car?"

The Dry Fork Connector trail is 2.5 miles of trail that nobody has a need to hike. The "main" trail starts at the lake. I am sure this Connector had a purpose decades ago. It has been actively on my "to do" list for quite some time. With Kurt fishing I felt it would be easy to tick off my list. BUT I tend to want to do it in June. Not waste an August hiking day for it. Well.....June as an issue. How high is Dry Fork Creek running? There is a seasonal bridge that may or may not be installed, yada, yada, yada. This past June, creeks were running high and my memory of that crossing lead me to think that it would be a horrible ford. I checked this hike off on this day!!!!!!!

The early morning light seemed quite special.IMG_2871.jpg

And purple flowers seemed to be especially perky.
IMG_2876.jpg

I was simply enjoying this good for nothing Dry Fork Connector Trail!!! Orange Agoseris
IMG_2884.jpg

Lupine
IMG_2887.jpg

IMG_2889.jpg

Rising Wolf Mountain started to come into view. I have considered this the most massive of mountains. Then I noticed the water cascading down it.
IMG_2892.jpg

Then I realized. This cascade and waterfall is ONLY visible from this trail!!!!! The value of this useless trail immediately went up hundred fold. The Pitamakan Pass trail skirts below it but you cannot see it through the forest and the terrain.
IMG_2893.jpg

IMG_2896.jpg

Dry Fork Creek. As you can see this drainage could get wide during high water season. It makes me want to do the Dry Fork Connector in June just to see water rushing through here.
IMG_2913.jpg

Orange Agoseris. I love this flower as it is such a loner. You rarely see a 2nd one in the vicinity
IMG_2930.jpg

Pray Lake (just below Two Medicine Lake)
IMG_2937.jpg

Kurt catching tonight's dinner. He had to gauze and duct tape his heel to get it into his waders.
IMG_2942.jpg

It was off to Marias Pass and the 6.2 miles of what I call Autumn Creek West. Autumn Creek Trail is a bit of a burden to day hike. But with Kurt's help this year and last I have knocked out 2 of the 3 sections.

In 2015 Jeff and I went on a hike with the Hike734 guy and he introduced us to this berry. Fluffy plant.....tiny sweet berries. He named them Kinnickinnick and I have come to think he was mistaken about that. I see a lot of Kinnickinnick and none of it was that berry. I have not knowingly seen these berries since 2015. This afternoon I found myself in a forest floor full of the ripe berries. I believe they are Grouse Whortleberries. All this puff has berries.
IMG_2950.jpg

IMG_2954.jpg

There is supposedly a lake just in from Marias Pass. Turns out that it is a meadow lake that it a bit seasonal....it seems.
IMG_2961.jpg

Elk Mountain
IMG_2964.jpg

Harebells
IMG_2968.jpg

Summit Mountain
IMG_2969.jpg

Pipsissewa. You all have seen me freak out about finding Calypso Orchids in June. I was the same about seeing these during this week.
IMG_2973.jpg

I think these are younger one but I could be wrong.
IMG_2975.jpg

After a mile I finally reach the Autumn Trail proper. The trail started out being a decent trail.....through the woods.
IMG_2979.jpg

Harebell
IMG_2982.jpg

IMG_2995.jpg

Eventually it starts to open up into small meadows with views of Elk Mountain and the surrounding range.
IMG_3002.jpg

IMG_3005-2.jpg

I was confused constantly because Elk Mountain kept being hidden by this mass in the foreground. So it was a lot of "is That Elk Mtn?"
IMG_3010.jpg

Okay......the trail became Quite overgrown. Brush devouring the trail. I am amazed at how use to (comfortable is not the proper word) this condition I have become over the last two August. The old me would laugh at the idea of hiking the trails that I have recently hiked. I was walking and I went "I'm not on a trail!" I froze. Retraced my steps until I felt that I was on the trail and looked around. I saw the next shot and wondered.......I put my hand in and parted the branches and ......"there's the trail!!!!!
IMG_3014.jpg

IMG_3017.jpg

Quite the trail
IMG_3031.jpg

IMG_3039.jpg

Looking back towards Summit Mountain
IMG_3040.jpg

I went into this one hollow and found myself in Thimbleberries and brush that had been matted down. Something or someone had fallen and wallowed around. Right on my trail. To be honest it was scary. I felt like I was standing in a nest. I didn't get a good shot of the spot because I wanted to get out of there!
IMG_3042.jpg

Coralroot Orchid seed pods
IMG_3052.jpg

Pipsissewa
IMG_3053.jpg

I heard a train and prayed that i was near the tracks. That it just wasn't the sound traveling uphill to me.
IMG_3055.jpg

Day 5 - Kurt had given up hope of getting back on the trail. He expressed a desire to be fishing at Two Med at sunrise so that gave me the chance to do something crazy that I have wanted to do for years. To put up, or shut up about this hike. It is an 18.5 mile loop. One that I am certain that only a person who looks at a map for possible day hikes would even considered possible. Jeff has laughed at me for thinking of doing it. It is 18.5 miles of lightly traveled and rarely maintained trails. Probably 100% in the forest. "Why?" In retrospect.......it really looks cool on a map when you fill it in! This hike is as close to a back country experience as a day hiker can reach. It was wonderful.

I hit the trail at first light. I told Kurt I probably will be off the trail in 12 hours.
IMG_3060.jpg

The first mile I have done a couple times as it is the access route to Scalplock Lookout.
IMG_3061.jpg

I had debated whether to do it clockwise or counter clockwise. I decided counter, as the steep section will be steep-er but shorter. It is great when a plan works out. I think I would have cried if I had done it clockwise. I am going to the Fielding Jct. then coming back from Park Creek. The Fielding section is 4.3 miles
IMG_3065.jpg

Ole Creek Drainage. I was pleasantly surprised at the views I had in this drainage. This side of the drainage was quite steep pitched so the trail skirted across high above the creek for the most part. So it wasn't 100% in the forest!! I was so excited to be there that I swear I didn't see a forest but I saw each individual tree.
IMG_3067.jpg

IMG_3069.jpg

The trail was definitely lightly traveled. Had to pay attention as you dodged a bush encroaching the trail as there was a bad drop off to the right.
IMG_3070.jpg

I saw the hind end of a black bear as it sprinted up a slope out of site. May have been 50 feet away. I had buckets of thimbleerries as......it is a lightly traveled trail

Elk Mountain and Ole Creek
IMG_3073.jpg

IMG_3077.jpg

IMG_3078.jpg

I was surprised by the rock walls.
IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3087.jpg

Yep that is the trail going.....through the woods.
IMG_3089.jpg

IMG_3098.jpg

IMG_3113.jpg

Crossing the creek that drains the section that I am going to be climbing up.
IMG_3121.jpg

IMG_3122.jpg

For the first time during the week I came into some wonderful huckleberry country. Again.....lightly traveled so they were all mine......and the bears.
IMG_3124.jpg

The Fielding Trail just shouts wilderness. It doesn't really go anywhere but it connects all of the drainage's. This junction was funny. The Ole Trail continued on but a huge tree had uprooted at the spot and the trail going forward was not obvious. The Fielding Trail headed up slope and was overgrown. But at this sign was a 6 foot circle of bare trodden ground. It had the appearance of back packers walking in circle assessing the situation. Groups sitting and eating snacks discussing their next steps. I had started at the Walton Range Station.
IMG_3125.jpg

It turned out that the Fielding Trail up to the pass was the best conditioned trail of the day. It was steeper so I was taking it easy and the trail was .......a trail. Not some feint surface underneath the overgrowth. I was loving the small streams that I had to cross coming in from the right.
IMG_3126.jpg

To be honest I was a bit giddy.
IMG_3129.jpg

IMG_3134.jpg

IMG_3135.jpg

I saw the butt of another black bear (closer than the previous encounter) as it sprinted up the hill. This time it stopped and looked back at me and I was able to get a couple shots. Before I considered getting out my zoom lens I believe I heard a huff and I...... thank you'd and moved on.
IMG_3144.jpg

IMG_3155.jpg

All morning I was running into spider webs. Nobody must hike these trails...ha. One, I could feel and hear the web ripping away from its base and I spent the next hour trying to get untangled from it. Going up hill I was going slow enough that I came across at least 4 webs like this one. I would look to see if I could skirt them somehow but I think every time I ended up folding up their work
IMG_3158.jpg

I eventually got to the top and it was a nice pleasant slope Definitely was next level overgrown though. I decided to continue my slow pace and I even found myself singing. I was doing the Ole/Fielding/Park Loop and it was all down hill from here. How cool is that?" (I know....this photo doesn't read as "next level overgrown".)
IMG_3160.jpg

I started to run into downed trees. Not down fall. Downed trees. This began a continuous stream of "do I go over.....do I go under....do I go around....do I walk across hoping I don't break through and break a leg."
IMG_3163.jpg

There....that is "next level" -ish
IMG_3164.jpg

This forest looked like it could spontaneously combust.
IMG_3174.jpg

IMG_3175.jpg

Trail
IMG_3176.jpg

I had to laugh. I felt like I was crossing a stream but which log do I use. The initial log was an actually bridge-ish log.
IMG_3178.jpg

IMG_3184.jpg

All I see are pikes waiting to skewer me.
IMG_3186.jpg

Oh look.....a view out. I can't say I have any sense of the Park Creek drainage.
IMG_3194.jpg

Somewhere along the way I fell. I could feel the rocks and roots under the brush but not truly see them. I stepped on a pitchy, slick, rock and......down I went. The beauty of it being so overgrown, dense, I bounced up completely unscathed. I would have been in tears having to navigate all of this stuff going uphill......and it seemed exceptionally long.
IMG_3198.jpg

Thimbleberries Yes that is one of those nasty spiders.
IMG_3201.jpg

Common Self Heal - These tend to grow in moist areas underneath the tall stuff. They seemed fluorescent
IMG_3205.jpg

IMG_3208.jpg

Miniature world on a tree log
IMG_3210-2.jpg

This trail junction sign to a day hiker feels like the middle of the wilderness. Out to the Walton Ranger Station I go.
IMG_3212.jpg

My sole view of Park Creek. The brush blocked views up and down stream. A 3 foot deep pool kept me from getting out into the drainage. In retrospect I would have jumped in just to get a peak of the other side. At the time I thought I would have opportunities downstream. Nope.
IMG_3213.jpg

IMG_3219.jpg

I got lazy on this shot. I didn't get down to take a proper shot. I just aimed and focused the best I could and called it good enough. (I must have been getting tired.) But I captured what I wanted.
IMG_3220.jpg

Oh look.......there is Park Creek. I thought the trail would be closer.
IMG_3226.jpg

IMG_3235.jpg

Can you imagine the torque that went into snapping this tree?
IMG_3242.jpg

Queen Cup Beadlily
IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

The trail meets up with the "retired" South Boundary Trail. For a few decades, due to under use and sloughing off into the Middle Fork of the Flathead River, this lower section of the South Boundary Trail was abandoned. View down stream
IMG_3248.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg

IMG_3263.jpg

10.5 hours after I started I got back to my car. I assume that you all know how fulfilling it is to accomplish something extraordinary that you have always thought about doing.
IMG_3272.jpg

On our final day we heading into the park for a laid back afternoon.

View of the North Fork of the Flathead River.
IMG_3273.jpg

Same spot of the river in June
IMG_3273a IMG_0211.jpg

I am including these two story boards as they provide current and wonderful illustration of the fires of Glacier National Park. Fire is as much a presence in this park as glaciers.
This board explains why Jeff and I, when discussing when wildfires occurred, always default to 2003.
IMG_3274.jpg

IMG_3275.jpg

Maybe I should have my picture taken at ALL the entry signs. Ugh.
IMG_3277.jpg

We drove up to Logan Pass hoping to find a parking space. With no luck we ended up at Lunch Creek. At the look in Kurt's eyes I knew I needed to put this on my "do it again with Kurt" list. A few years back I got up into the basin beyond.
IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3281.jpg

IMG_3282.jpg

Monkeyflower
IMG_3292.jpg

A parking space at Logan Pass opened up.
IMG_3293.jpg

IMG_3295.jpg

IMG_3296.jpg

IMG_3298.jpg

IMG_3299.jpg

This is a spot along McDonald Creek with the Garden Wall beyond that I have taken many photos over the years.
IMG_3301.jpg

McDonald Lodge where Kurt and I still walk around and feel like it is "ours". We met and worked there in 1985
IMG_3306.jpg

IMG_3310.jpg

IMG_3311.jpg

This is a map of the week. 29.6 miles of new trails. I like how the hikes are scattered around the park. Doesn't that loop look cool?!
z IMG_2235 M1VU3.jpg

This is a map of the 370 miles of trails hiked in my lifetime. The blue are trails not hiked since the mid 1980's
z TrailsHike08.2022.jpg

I feel like I belong in a support meeting. "My name is Harry and I am a collector of trails in Glacier National Park."

Thank you so much for your time and patience in getting through this trip report.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh - I am so happy for you! I loved all of your pictures and descriptions and have lots of comments for you - in no particular order:

I feel the same way about taking pictures - 100% agree! "It is psychologically impossible for me Not to shoot pictures!"
Those purple leaves - wow!
Thimbleberry photo is wonderful - I love the bright red.
Great caterpillar! Am I correct in thinking swallowtail?
How exciting it must have been to see that waterfall that is only visible from that one trail you assumed would be nothing special.
I like the bear photo. Its big ears are so visible!
Gorgeous lake reflection photos.
Great shot of the spider in its web with its prize.
I, too, love the orange flowers. Here's one of my many flower pictures from this summer that might be the same kind you saw:

IMG_4673.jpg

And here's a different kind of orange flower that I also loved:
IMG_6653.jpg

Your Day 1 description and photos brought back very sweet memories for me. In 2011, our family's first sort-of-backcountry experience was staying at Granite Park Chalet. We hiked from Logan Pass up the beautiful Highline Trail to the chalet. We ate our first ever dehydrated meals (no one liked the ones we had, though, and luckily for my teenage sons there were people at the chalet who brought and cooked real food and had leftovers...) The next day, we hiked from the chalet up up up to Swiftcurrent Lookout and then down down down to Many Glacier. I absolutely loved that same view that you had of all the lakes way down below. Getting to the lakes over the course of the day was so satisfying. We saw a moose in roughly the same area that you did. That area is so beautiful.

I'm sure there were a bunch of other thoughts running through my head as I enjoyed your description, but most of all I just want to say thank you for sharing your trip!

Oh my gosh - I am so happy for you! I loved all of your pictures and descriptions and have lots of comments for you - in no particular order:

I feel the same way about taking pictures - 100% agree! "It is psychologically impossible for me Not to shoot pictures!"
Those purple leaves - wow!
Thimbleberry photo is wonderful - I love the bright red.
Great caterpillar! Am I correct in thinking swallowtail?
How exciting it must have been to see that waterfall that is only visible from that one trail you assumed would be nothing special.
I like the bear photo. Its big ears are so visible!
Gorgeous lake reflection photos.
Great shot of the spider in its web with its prize.
I, too, love the orange flowers. Here's one of my many flower pictures from this summer that might be the same kind you saw:

View attachment 113382

And here's a different kind of orange flower that I also loved:
View attachment 113383

Your Day 1 description and photos brought back very sweet memories for me. In 2011, our family's first sort-of-backcountry experience was staying at Granite Park Chalet. We hiked from Logan Pass up the beautiful Highline Trail to the chalet. We ate our first ever dehydrated meals (no one liked the ones we had, though, and luckily for my teenage sons there were people at the chalet who brought and cooked real food and had leftovers...) The next day, we hiked from the chalet up up up to Swiftcurrent Lookout and then down down down to Many Glacier. I absolutely loved that same view that you had of all the lakes way down below. Getting to the lakes over the course of the day was so satisfying. We saw a moose in roughly the same area that you did. That area is so beautiful.

I'm sure there were a bunch of other thoughts running through my head as I enjoyed your description, but most of all I just want to say thank you for sharing your trip!
Going up we met many hikers who had started at Logan Pass and were heading to Many Glacier. Kurt said "that is the way to do it!" My response was always "yeh, but they have logistical concerns." Don't get me wrong. Walk through's are wonderful but rare in the solo day hiker arsenal. Having Kurt's truck made This week happen! For the future he is thinking about what we can access using two vehicles and all the daylight available, as he is onboard with my lists.

Last edited:
Such an amazing share! Great views and so many beautiful flowers!! The Pipsissewa are adorable!