Glacier Nat'l Park - August 2021 (Fulfillment of a Dream)

chandlerwest

As previously shared I have spent the better part of 35 years visiting Glacier National Park. As a day hiker I am limited to how far into the park I can reach. But I have still managed to hike over 300 miles of its trails. The Middle Fork of the Flathead River provides a natural barrier to the Coal Creek-Nyack section of the park. A vast wilderness that few individuals invest the time to reach. My timeshare cabin sits in the Nyack Flats, so I can look across the Middle Fork into this region but it might as well be Siberia. During my early August week the river is historically too high and swift to consider fording. September and October is the season to breach this natural barrier.

I started watching the USGS flow gauges in July. The river was running well below its historical average. In 2019 Jeff and I, on our last day, had scoped out a couple of the fords and they look possibly, possible but psychologically we weren't in a place to attempt them. The flow of the river in 2021 was comparable to 2019. Could this be the year that I should "go for it!" ? I was alone for the week, for only the second time in my history, so I had no one other than myself to consider. I knew that the hikes I could do on the other side of the river were relatively uneventful. No real destinations, just the experience of hiking the trails. Being by myself was the perfect time to have such a personal, intimate week.

I arrived to the area early enough on Friday to brave the road construction on HWY 2 to get into the Backcountry Office to see if they had any additional information on the three fords of the river. I invested 2 hours to get three generic pieces of paper that didn't provide much additional information but they were a nudge to get this experience accomplished this season. Who knows when the opportunity will come again to breach the barrier of the Middle Fork of the Flathead River.

My first day I headed for the Nyack Crossing. In 2019 this crossing had almost destroyed my hopes of ever doing this. We followed the blazes and were greeted by a debris field that I would never be comfortable with. So I was apprehensive as I approached. Only to find the way clean and beyond doable.

This is a shot looking back across the initial channel.
IMG_8581.jpg

After a short walk across the island I came to the meat of the ford. So wonderfully pleasant. Walking across a 32-36 inch deep "not swift" river. I instantly was committed to a week of river fording and exploring new trails. You can just make out an orange blaze to help guide you.
IMG_8583.jpg

Midstream view upstream
IMG_8585.jpg

I was lulled into a false sense of security as there were immediate signs of trail maintenance getting up onto the South Boundary Trail. But those initial uses of a weed whacker were the last that I saw all week. As I have said, historically no one is fording this river for weeks, so there is no need for the trail crew to prioritize this region in early August. Which they most definitely did not as I will document. The initial mile of trail was waist to chest high brush. I was amazes at how I could travel through that stuff, with barely a slowdown while plucking and eating thimbleberries. I was in my own little heaven....as it was still early in the day. I came across Nyack Creek and had to laugh. "Oh ya, I suppose I do have to ford the creeks also!" I had focused on the river for a decade and it had never gotten through that I had a handful of creeks to deal with also. They were in line with my experience in the Virgin River Narrows so I was glad I had not wasted any time worrying about getting across those.
IMG_8607.jpg

IMG_8608.jpg

I took pictures of every trail sign I saw this week. "Oh my God I am standing at the junction leading into THE NYACK!!!!!!"
IMG_8611.jpg

IMG_8617.jpg

As you have heard.......there is a bit of smoke in the air in the America West. Another reason why this week worked out perfectly. Elevation is not your friend for photography. This week was spent predominantly in the forest. I could have gotten to Loneman Lookout but would have no view for major effort.

My cabin is over in those flats at the base of the mountains....somewhere.
IMG_8622.jpg

IMG_8629.jpg

IMG_8636.jpg

The immediate environs were continually changing due to historical fires. That pocket of newer green ahead looked inviting. The trail got a bit nasty in there.....Ha.
IMG_8638.jpg

Yep, that is the trail. My "HHHEEEYYYYY OoooHHHH" just got a bit louder.
IMG_8644.jpg

It seemed my trail led to a wall of trees
IMG_8649.jpg

Nope.....made a right turn into this. It still amazes that I was able to walk through stuff like this with barely a slow down. I was more apt to trip over a bear than see a bear. But I always knew I was on a trail. I could "feel" it with my feet and intuition, I suppose. How can something be an inconvenience, and even a danger, yet be such a joy.
IMG_8650.jpg

It was in this darker forest that I had a bird obviously persuading me along. It sounded as if it was within ten feet but I could not see it anywhere. Then I saw its shadow off to the left as if in a 50's pterodactyl movie. Eventually I caught a glimpsed of it. Was a hawk of some sort.
IMG_8661.jpg

Look at those huge beached trees
IMG_8667.jpg

Some deep pools in that river.
IMG_8669.jpg

Eventually reached the ford of Harrison Creek. This had a lively depth and swiftness. Quite refreshing and enjoyable.
IMG_8683.jpg

The forest on the other side had a familiar vibe to it. Felt more like forest that I have hiked many miles in. AND I had huckleberries. I hadn't noticed until that time that I had not seen any huckleberries on this hike. Was a puzzlement why that was the case. Sure it has some scientific/environment explanation.
IMG_8685.jpg

Making my way back south along the South Boundary Trail. Smoke could completely veil a mountain or accentuate the depth of them.
IMG_8694.jpg

In my research I saw that there was a separate Pack Trail Crossing of the river in the Nyack area. I wanted to give this a try. The beta I had said "32 inches and not swift flow." Well......I have gone through a range of emotions about this little sidebar of a route. Initially I thought the beta was incomplete thus I got off track. Then I thought I completely misread the beta thus got myself into a mess. In the end (a week later) I think it all came down to an overly cropped photo that I was using on the day. If I had not cropped the crap out the photo I was packing I might have gone precisely where I wanted to go. Would I have found the "32 inches of not swift flow."? Who knows!!!!

This screenshot is of the route I actually took in red. The Pack Trail is in blue. It is followed by the overly cropped photo that I was packing with me.
IMG_8700a Nyack Pack Trail.jpg

I had cropped ALL perspective out of this photo.

IMG_8700b Nyack JPEG.jpg

The trail dropped down a good size slope and came out at Nyack Creek. There was no sign/guidance as to what I should do. There was a brushy island in front of me so the view directly across the creek was blocked. Obviously, with that first photo above, I should have gone directly across the creek and found a trail on the other side. Instead I headed downstream to the river. Oh well. I wouldn't have a story if things would have gone properly.
IMG_8701.jpg

I quickly reached the river and started looking for that glorious "32 inches of not swift". It was not here!! Upstream I had a series of gravel bars with a swift channel that had to eventuallly be breached.
IMG_8704.jpg

Downstream it was a single channel but the middle of it was screaming not to try it. I learned that being able to see the rocks on the bottom of the river were a measurement of clarity, not of depth. Then you factor in unknown swiftness and it becomes quite the mathematical problem for a 63 year old 160 pound body.
IMG_8705.jpg

Not wanting to reverse my route back up the slope and through the chest deep forest, I believed that the gravel bars were my best bet. I could sidle my way around problem areas. I had a few extremely swift channels but they were shallow. But that last channel was always looming to be conquered.
IMG_8708.jpg

This is a shot back across that final channel. I am safe. I headed across because I could make out the bottom all the way. I knew the water was gonna get swift but turned my concentration up to 11 and set out. Making sure that I always had three strong points of contact with my feet and trekking poles. It was a fight but I made it. The water was easily waist deep and with the force of the water it was splashing against my belly. I was too busy doing the ford to get overly scared. I don't care to do that again!!! Now is a good time to mention these trekking poles I had. In May I found them in a closet. Jeff didn't know anything about them. Scott, sort of, remembered finding them or some story but immediately forgetting them. These poles were like finding an unwrapped Christmas present. In both my June trip and this week in August I was only able to do some things because of these trekking poles that miraculously showed up in my closet.
IMG_8709.jpg

On day two I headed back to the Nyack Crossing. Mt. Stimson looming!
IMG_8714.jpg

I got across the river and sat to change into my hiking boots. I had forgotten my hiking socks!!!! So......back across the river to my car, take the 4 minute ride back to the cabin to get my socks. Ha.
I eventually took the South Boundary Trail south towards Coal Creek. This section of trail went a bit more inland. Thus was spectacularly overgrown. One stretch was 45 minutes of chest high adventure. I am not proud. If I felt like hollering every minute to announce my presence......I did. I don't hike in Glacier to see bears.
IMG_8716.jpg

Yep......trail
IMG_8719.jpg

There was an occasional orange blaze
IMG_8721.jpg

IMG_8729.jpg

In the morning Thimbleberries taste like they came straight out of the fridge!
IMG_8731.jpg

Enjoying the detail of a forest walk.
IMG_8732.jpg

The blessed Huckleberry
IMG_8734.jpg

The "blessed" trail
IMG_8740.jpg

The wonderful Middle Fork
IMG_8744.jpg

IMG_8747.jpg

My plans had been to hike to the Coal Creek ford of the Middle Fork, turn around and retrace my steps. But as the morning progress I felt that there was nothing that I was dying to see going in the opposite direction. I knew the crossing was near HWY 2 so I began thinking about road walking.
IMG_8751.jpg

The ford of Coal Creek.
IMG_8763.jpg

IMG_8769.jpg

Smoky haze of the mountains.
IMG_8776.jpg

This is looking back across the ford of the Middle Fork that I had just completed. You can barely make out an orange blaze on the other side. The trail status report said "36 inches deep semi-swift." That was about right. Took some time to insure that my feet wouldn't sweep away.
IMG_8783.jpg

I then road walked the five miles back to my car. What would probably had taken me 4 hours in the forest took only 2 hours. That was a good deal! A factoid worth noting. I have driven HWY 2 a hundred times. During this week I was rarely beyond a mile away from it, but due to the river barrier and the remoteness and lack of maintenance of the trails I was in a "wilderness".
IMG_8789.jpg

I was sort of beat up from my two days so I took day 3 off to scout the way across the river at the Harrison ford. The beta I had wasn't very specific. Essentially, pick the best crossing in a 200 yard section of the river.
Upon arriving to the river I saw there was a guy fishing the opposite bank. So I decided to watch him and let him show me how he got over there. Pretty lazy.....I agree. And the longer it played out the more self conscious I became about it. How I began to feel like I was stalking this guy. I could have called out to him and just asked but......no. Didn't want to intrude. I watched a parade of rafts pass me. Catching snippets of their talk. Entertaining in a channel surfing kind of way. One guy was talking about his sled dogs in Alaska. So random.
IMG_8812.jpg

IMG_8814.jpg

I eventually gave up on the fisherman. He went downstream, then upstream, never crossing over that final channel on my side. I started reading the river, like I should have done from the start and came up with a likely spot. Before I left I went to the far downstream section of the "ford". Staring at the river I could see all the way across. The water looked peaceful. Feeling stupid I realized that I had my water shoes and trekking poles strapped to my back. "Just put your shoes on Harry and walk into the water!!!!" I was 20 feet in the water and I looked upstream and saw two rafts coming towards me. Oops. I didn't feel rushed and hopefully they didn't have to do any maneuvering to slow down. I reached the other side, raised my trekking poles above my head and they gave me a cheer because I had made it. I apologized for not looking both ways before I stepped out into the river. I would ford in this spot for the remainder of the week.
IMG_8820.jpg

Looking upstream
IMG_8828.jpg

I was settling in for a night of the Olympics and I went "when are smoky skies a positive thing? At sunset!" So I jumped in the car and headed for Logan Pass.

I took this photo on June 7, 2021.
IMG_8835 8127.jpg

From the same spot on August 2, 2021
IMG_8836.jpg

IMG_8837.jpg

IMG_8838.jpg

I had a mix of clouds and smoke so the evening didn't turn out like I had hoped, but it was still wonderful!!!!
IMG_8845.jpg

IMG_8852.jpg

IMG_8861.jpg

Day 4 was going to be a long 15 mile day up Lincoln Creek. I wanted to reach the Lincoln Lake Trail Junction that I had hiked in 2014. Connecting the dots on my map. I woke up to quite a fog.
IMG_8869.jpg

IMG_8870.jpg

Crossing the river in the fog was such an incredible experience. I could barely make out ghost trees across the river. It was like I was moving in a bubble of clear space.
IMG_8871.jpg

I believe that the Lincoln Creek Trail has no purpose. There is a more direct (though uglier elevation) route to Lincoln Lake. It doesn't go anywhere BUT to Lincoln Lake. So, it surely doesn't get much use. Just the type of trail I love to take and mark off on my map. I absolutely enjoyed this trail......until I didn't. Ever changing environment, the fog, views of the creek. Pleasant elevation gain.
I got across the river and had to find my way to the South Boundary Trail. I had a string of orange ribbons hanging in trees to guide me. The usefulness of these ribbons play out on a story later in the day.
IMG_8874.jpg

IMG_8879.jpg

Lincoln Creek
IMG_8888.jpg

IMG_8891.jpg

IMG_8897.jpg

Sun trying to break through the fog.
IMG_8904.jpg

IMG_8906.jpg

Indian Paintbrush in the middle of the trail
IMG_8908.jpg

I really enjoyed this trail!!
IMG_8919.jpg

IMG_8922.jpg

Half way into the hike there were three fords of Lincoln Creek. I believe that this 1st ford has to be one of the prettiest places ever.
IMG_8928.jpg

Fireweed started becoming prevalent. IMG_8931.jpg

I walked up to what I came to call a Rocky Mountain Cairn. This is not THE cairn but another one that I am including just for narrative sake.
IMG_9066.jpg

I knew that this pile of rocks was telling me something. But I looked around and saw nothing. Not another cairn. Not an orange blaze. Not a social trail. Nothing. All I saw was that the trail that I had been following for hours continued by it. Unmarred, unhindered.

Well.....it shortly led to this.
IMG_8934.jpg

I could see the trail continuing through the down falls so onward I went. Assuming.........I don't know what I was assuming any more.
IMG_8936.jpg

It was a rats nest. Always seemingly leading back to "the trail"
IMG_8938.jpg

I spent one hour getting into Hell and finding my way back out of it. I eventually reached what I believed to be the end of it (standing trees) only to find more trees and much much thicker bush. Any psychic link to the trail was lost. This type of terrain is frightening. Knowing that you are one weak branch away from falling and impaling yourself. Relying on my trekking poles to come away with only two rips in my pants and couple owies on my right hand. I was expecting my trekking pole to break at any moment. Coming out I found myself loosing focus. I would reach an obstacle and start breaking off all of the branches that would give instead of thinking it out. Sigh!
IMG_8941.jpg

I eventually got back to the cairn but I knew my day was done so I didn't spend any additional time trying to "read" what that f'n pile of rocks was saying to me. I am sure it was related to the 2nd ford of Lincoln Creek. You look on the maps and the trail takes a definite 90 degree turn to reach that ford. Why were there no orange blazes like I had seen early by the river? Why was the cairn not directly in the (what I assume) is an abandoned trail? Why was that trail not hidden by simply dragging tree branches across it. A simple five minute fix!!!!!! The option to go past that cairn should not even be an option.

So I head back down the trail not feeling defeated. I could accept that I could not read what the area was saying. I am not some wilderness pathfinder. I was just ticked off because there should not have been anything complicated to read. This is a park service trail after all. If you go through the labor of stacking up all those rocks it should be obvious what you are telling people.
IMG_8945.jpg

Later I am sitting in the trail enjoying the view when two backpackers walk up. Was I surprise. They were camping at Lincoln Lake that night. I withheld my critique of "why are you on this trail?" and proceeded to tell them of my experience. They had not even known about the three fords because they had simply walked into the permit office and asked what was available and received Lincoln Lake. So they had a destination but no real forethought into their trip. I told them that if I did anything wrong it was failing to read the signs to the 2nd ford. So when we split up they knew to be watchful for that obvious pile of rocks and scour that area to read their way to the ford. I walked away feeling happy because I felt that I had used my misfortune to help those girls get to their camp site. That their young eyes could read what I had overlooked.

Sky is a bit smoky.
IMG_8964.jpg

IMG_8967.jpg

Day 5 was hiking the South Boundary Trail towards West Glacier. Completing a section of trail Jeff and I had started (from West Glacier) in 2014

Absolutely glorious morning.
IMG_8991.jpg

IMG_8992.jpg

IMG_8993.jpg

The Middle Fork narrows up a bit through this section. It gives the rafting tourist a bit of a thrill
IMG_9007.jpg

IMG_9009.jpg

Sun hitting the stump!
IMG_9026.jpg

IMG_9027.jpg

Look at those big trees.
IMG_9031.jpg

IMG_9033.jpg

DEEP pools
IMG_9034.jpg

The early morning rafters finally reaching the faster sections
IMG_9059.jpg

This section of forest just west of Lincoln Creek enthralled me. Thousands of pencil straight trees.
IMG_9065.jpg

I am crossing the suspension bridge across Lincoln Creek and who is on the other side but the two backpackers from the previous day. They had been unable to get pass the cairn and spent the night at a flat spot along the trail. "Our entire itinerary was shot because we couldn't get to Lincoln Lake." They were on their way out to give someone holy heck. I was heartbroken. I thought I had beaten that damn spot but these two girls couldn't figure it out either. Sadness. A part of me wants to get back there and figure out the puzzle.

IMG_9072.jpg

That night I drove back into the park for sunset again. This time stopping at the Loop. I had a much better/different success.
IMG_9077.jpg

IMG_9079.jpg

IMG_9084.jpg

IMG_9086.jpg

IMG_9089.jpg

IMG_9093.jpg

IMG_9098.jpg

Day 6. The last day. In all my dreams of this week there was only one true destination. Harrison Lake. I looked at it from every angle trying to figure out how I could get to this lake withing fording the river and it just wasn't feasible. I put off this hike, during the week, because I wanted optimum conditions. I was praying that a front would come through and blow all this smoke away. The lake penetrated the mountains so......I had mountains to see. To finally reach Harrison Lake and not being to experience the mountains could have been heartbreaking. But I couldn't put off the hike any more.

It is a bit thrilling having a freight train barreling out of the darkness at you.
IMG_9099.jpg

The last glorious morning ford of the Middle Fork of the Flathead River.
IMG_9101.jpg

IMG_9104.jpg

The red glow on the leaves
IMG_9106.jpg

The word "pleasant" could not leave my thoughts. It was such a pleasant morning. The trail immediate climbed a bunch so it hopefully got me out of the thick nasty stuff. I felt like I was on a real trail.

Some more red glow.
IMG_9112.jpg

IMG_9116.jpg

IMG_9122.jpg

The trail could still get tight but it was more tree like instead of bush.
IMG_9129.jpg

I believe I gave out an exultant cheer when I reached the foot of Harrison Lake. When you finally reach a place that you have spent so much time thinking about!!
IMG_9139.jpg

The lake sits Northeast to Southwest so the lighting was quite rough. But it was what I had so I made the best of it.
IMG_9141.jpg

IMG_9145.jpg

I at least had silhouettes of the mountains. Better than a veil of white nothing. With hopes that as the sun moved across the sky it might improve.
IMG_9155.jpg

IMG_9161.jpg

IMG_9169.jpg

I met another couple. Only the 3rd and 4th people I had met on the trails all week. They said they were "goat counters". They said they hadn't seen any and we all laughed, because how can you see a goat with this air quality. I asked their advice about the route ahead. "Is it worth going pass the campground?" "Did you follow the primitive trail up to the head of the lake." They advised that I get to the Patrol Cabin a half mile pass the campground since its beach had a bit of shade compared to the campground. They had seen no evidence of a trail beyond the cabin.
IMG_9171.jpg

I ended up spending 2.5 hours at this beach. It was just so flipping......pleasant. After awhile it struck me. "This is my lake! No one else is out here......no one" I am in Glacier National Park and have this 2 plus mile lake all to myself. I had a Loon that would call every so often. I could give off a bear holler and have it echo back to me across the lake.
IMG_9175.jpg

This pass intrigued me. It goes up and over into Thompson Canyon which leads into Nyack Canyon. A huge fire started in Thompson Canyon a few years back.
IMG_9178.jpg

I could walk out into the lake 15 or so feet. Standing on a "beach" of pebbles and look into the abyss of the lake a couple feet away. My view up into the valley beyond was blocked by the shoreline.
IMG_9180.jpg

Then I noticed that the beach continued so I walked, in the lake, up towards the head of the lake. I got around the corner and the entire available view opened up. There is the head wall.
IMG_9188.jpg

IMG_9194.jpg

IMG_9199.jpg

IMG_9201.jpg

Details slowing came into view!!!!!
IMG_9202.jpg

IMG_9207.jpg

IMG_9211.jpg

Goodbye beach
IMG_9214.jpg

Quite a bit different view than I had in the morning!
IMG_9218.jpg

IMG_9225.jpg

My final fording of the Middle Fork of the Flathead.
IMG_9265.jpg

It is wonderful that after all these years I was able to have a truly unique Glacier National Park experience. An experience that I felt would never happen due to the alignment of my visits and flow of the river. I crossed the Middle Fork of the Flathead 14 times. I forded Harrison, Lincoln, and the Nyack Creeks twice. Coal Creek once. It totaled out to 57 miles. I got home and saw that I had taken 823 photos and said "what the hell did I take pictures of!!!!!?????" I must have been determined to document this once in a life time opportunity, even though, all it was mostly, was a "walk in the woods". Thanks for coming along with me.

IMG_8580 August Hikes.jpg

Last edited:
Quite the journey.

As you can see from some of your own pictures, river crossing is super easy to do. Just grab a fishing rod and flick a fly into the water. Immediately you will be surrounded by rafts and float tubes! :)

I wish I had my computer instead of my cell phone because then I could quote some links. But a study came out from some bear researchers that said they expend about the same amount of energy as a moderate walking human and thereby are a perfect fit for using our trails, which they do as often as possible. They are just adept at slipping off the trail when they hear humans coming. These researchers said that if bears weren’t so good at hiding one would see more bears on the trail than if you bushwhacked through the forest.

I know Dave Peacock finds it irritating that people make a lot of noise on the trail. He considers it noise pollution in the wilderness and says it’s unnecessary. Given that bears use our trails more than we might guess, it’s probably prudent to let them know you’re coming.

I'm so happy for you that you accomplished your goals with fording the river and exploring all these trails. What a great way to take advantage of this year's conditions! I loved your photos, especially the reflections with Harrison Lake. :)

Wow- quite the adventure @chandlerwest , so many river fords! Well done. @scatman would also be proud of all the bushwhacking you did. Absolutely love the photos of Harrison Lake, glad you made it up there. Great idea to just walk in the water at the edge of the lake to explore more! Thanks for sharing, great TR.

Where's @Scott Chandler , still in Moab? We haven't heard anything from him in ages! Kind of disappeared from BCP like @Artemus , @Ben ! Though @scatman did provide a recent photo of Art.

@chandlerwest, your story telling is exquisite. I'm glad you were able to explore some new trails. And I appreciate you supplying my Glacier fix once again.

Your thoughts on the Rocky Mountain Cairn had me in stitches. It kind of reminded me of a day hike I did to Alder Lake on the Promontory in Yellowstone a couple of years ago. The pile of rocks was telling you that when you encounter deadfall along an old/current trail, that you're supposed to call out, "Trail Crew!" :D I know that is what I do.

Were you able to dash across the tracks before the freight train passed, or did you let it rumble by before crossing. I've always been fascinated by trains.

I also enjoy that you went out in the smoky conditions and reported on it. I don't believe that I've ever altered my hiking/backpacking plans do to smoke in the air. It's all part of the experience - kind of like downfall and new growth. ;)

Well, another great report and keep up the day hikes.

I wish I had my computer instead of my cell phone because then I could quote some links. But a study came out from some bear researchers that said they expend about the same amount of energy as a moderate walking human and thereby are a perfect fit for using our trails, which they do as often as possible. They are just adept at slipping off the trail when they hear humans coming. These researchers said that if bears weren’t so good at hiding one would see more bears on the trail than if you bushwhacked through the forest.

I know Dave Peacock finds it irritating that people make a lot of noise on the trail. He considers it noise pollution in the wilderness and says it’s unnecessary. Given that bears use our trails more than we might guess, it’s probably prudent to let them know you’re coming.

I believe that would be Doug Peacock. Unless of course he allows his friends to call him Dave. Kind of like me and Bob Redford! :D

I was just seeing if you were on your toes. Sometimes when I’m on the road I drink Starbucks instant coffee because it’s simple, but it sure doesn’t do much for my brain. I don’t know, maybe I’m asking too much of it.

And Robert lets you call him Bob? Man, every time I’ve tried that I get in big trouble with him.

@chandlerwest, your story telling is exquisite. I'm glad you were able to explore some new trails. And I appreciate you supplying my Glacier fix once again.

Your thoughts on the Rocky Mountain Cairn had me in stitches. It kind of reminded me of a day hike I did to Alder Lake on the Promontory in Yellowstone a couple of years ago. The pile of rocks was telling you that when you encounter deadfall along an old/current trail, that you're supposed to call out, "Trail Crew!" :D I know that is what I do.

Were you able to dash across the tracks before the freight train passed, or did you let it rumble by before crossing. I've always been fascinated by trains.

I also enjoy that you went out in the smoky conditions and reported on it. I don't believe that I've ever altered my hiking/backpacking plans do to smoke in the air. It's all part of the experience - kind of like downfall and new growth. ;)

Well, another great report and keep up the day hikes.
About the train......I heard it in the distance and got across the tracks before it got to me. In the photo you just can see a downed tree in the distance? I had three choices when I reached it. Patiently wait for the train. Climb over it ungracefully. Climb under it ungracefully. Or walk around it in the 4 foot gap between it and the train. I decided that the latter was a bit silly just for the narrative. Going around the low end looked stupid unnecessary nasty. By the time I fell over the tree the train had moved on.