Glacier National Park, Part 3: Grinnell Lake & Glacier (Sept 2017)

piper01

Glacier National Park

Part 3: Grinnell Lake & Glacier
September 11-12, 2017
Part 1 here
Part 2 here

I woke up in time to catch the sunrise at Rising Sun campground. The campground was closing for the season today, so we planned on packing up camp and moving on to explore the Many Glacier area.
IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

Home sweet home.
IMG_0592.jpg

The wind was blowing fiercely today, kicking up whitecaps on Saint Mary Lake.
IMG_0597.jpg

View from the drive along the entrance road to Many Glacier
IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0606_cr.jpg

We arrived at the Many Glacier campground around 11am and were able to easily find an empty site, being a Monday morning the week after Labor Day. I'd been keeping an eye on the recent and historical campground fill times, so I knew we wouldn't have to be lined up at 6am to get a spot, but I didn't want to arrive much later than this. We had planned on using this as a mid-trip rest day, but the weather forecast called for rain and a cold front at the end of the week, so we decided to keep hiking while the weather was still nice. We compromised on an "easy" hike with little elevation change: Grinnell Lake. We were taking the boat shuttle for our hike to the glacier the next day, so today we decided to hoof it the entire way.

Looking up the series of lakes toward Grinnell Glacier.
IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

There's the boat, in the lower right corner
IMG_0622.jpg

Grinnell Lake would have been a richer turquoise color on a calm day, but the wind formed train after train of waves.
IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

Suspension bridge across a creek on the hike back. Not really necessary today with the low water level and waterproof boots, but still fun!
IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

I spotted this chipmunk jumping from branch to branch.
IMG_0670.jpg

Caterpillar on the trail
IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

The next day we saw much of the same area on the hike up to Grinnell Glacier, but we spared our legs a few miles and took the boat shuttle across the lakes.
IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0703_ed.jpg

View of Lake Grinnell from above. The wind was much calmer today.
IMG_0713_ed.jpg

Small fault and folds in the rock.
IMG_0721.jpg

There's that turquoise water.
IMG_0731.jpg

A small herd of bighorn sheep was hanging out along the trail.
IMG_0740_ed.jpg

This guy posed for a glamour shot.
IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

The series of lakes
IMG_0776.jpg

Made it to the top of the trail and Grinnell Glacier.
IMG_0782_ed.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

Glacial moraine
IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

A reminder of the force of a glacier; it transported and dropped these boulders.
IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

Interesting rock. A lower-energy environment depositing the layers of sandstone below, and a high-energy environment depositing the conglomerate on top.
IMG_0813.jpg

Fossilized stromatolites (layered mounds formed by single-celled bacteria)
IMG_0819.jpg

I heard a "ploop!" and looked up just in time to see the shiny piece of ice in the middle turn over in the water.
IMG_0826.jpg

One more glacier shot.
IMG_0832.jpg

Starting the hike down.
IMG_0834.jpg

Ptarmigan?IMG_0842_zoom.jpg

Our chariot awaits.
IMG_0854.jpg

Grizzly bear! We had just hiked the trail behind those trees the previous day; good thing we didn't see him then.
IMG_0871.jpg

Many Glacier hotel
IMG_0874.jpg

Sunset over Swiftcurrent Lake
IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

Grinnell Glacier was a great hike, but by far the busiest one we did the entire trip, with it being a popular hike for many of the hotel guests. Tomorrow we'd be back to having more solitude along the trail, for our final day of hiking.

I was pretty sure you had a Ptarmigan then @Jeffrey Chandler walked behind me and said Grouse. I don't think Grouse have the white areas yours seems to have. I love the tremendous lighting/smoke you captured.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
norwegianxplorer 7 days backpacking Breheimen/Glacier Home National Park in Norway Backpacking 2
norwegianxplorer Finding Hidden Glacier, 9 days backpacking Jotunheimen National Park Pt3, Norway. Trip Reports 0
chandlerwest Glacier National Park - June 2021 Hiking & Camping 8
Mikjik86 FULL Video Part 2 Backpacking Glacier National Park "North Circle Route" Backpacking 0
Mikjik86 Backpacking Glacier National Park (Part 2 Preview) "North Circle Route" Montana, August 2019 Backpacking 2
E Glacier National Park in Mid July Trip Planning 0
Mikjik86 Backpacking Glacier National Park August 2019 Backpacking 3
Mikjik86 Backpacking Glacier National Park - North Circle Route Part 1 Preview Video. Backpacking 1
chandlerwest Glacier National Park - August 2019 Hiking & Camping 20
R 6 day Glacier National Park Trip August 6th-14th Advice Trip Planning 0
chandlerwest Glacier National Park -- June 2019 Hiking & Camping 15
N Olympic National Park - Anderson Glacier Trip Planning 2
piper01 Glacier National Park, Part 4: Ptarmigan Tunnel and Iceberg Lake (Sept 2017) Hiking & Camping 3
chandlerwest Glacier National Park - August 2018 Hiking & Camping 8
T Gobblers Knob in Glacier View Wilderness / Mt. Rainier National Park Hiking & Camping 6
piper01 Glacier National Park, Part 2: Siyeh Pass (Sept 2017) Hiking & Camping 2
piper01 Glacier National Park, Part 1: Hidden Lake and St. Mary & Virginia Falls (Sept 2017) Hiking & Camping 3
chandlerwest Glacier National Park - June 2018 Hiking & Camping 19
chandlerwest Glacier National Park - Summer 2017 Hiking & Camping 14
H ON THE ROAD WILD WEST :: Yellowstone, Grand Teton, & Glacier National Park Big Sky Road Trip Photography 8
chandlerwest Glacier National Park - I cannot run out of superlatives. Hiking & Camping 20
Bryan Harwood Glacier National Park: Wintersun on Mount Brown March. 2016 Hiking & Camping 4
Tim Valentine Glacier National Park Tim and Holly Part 2 Backpacking 6
Tim Valentine Glacier National Park August 2015 Part1 Backpacking 13
Chuck the Mauler Glacier National Park (Chief Mtn. Border to Many Glacier) Backpacking 5
isleroyaleguy Glacier national park fire General Discussion 25
Tres Westbrook Bear Glacier - Kenai Fjords National Park On The Water 10
Joey Glacier National Park: Piegan Pass, Many Glacier, Ptarmigan Tunnel, Belly River, Fifty Mountain Loop Backpacking 15
Joey Invite Glacier National Park, June and July, 2015 Meet Up (Members Only) 11
pstm13 Glacier National Park June 2014 Hiking & Camping 4
Curt Glacier Bay National Park On The Water 4
Tyler Glacier National Park and Missoula, Montana May 2006 Hiking & Camping 5
TheMountainRabbit Ortenburger Lake, Talus Lake, & Glacier Peak (Grand Teton NP) - October 2023 Backpacking 14
Rockskipper Did someone put another monolith on Mt. Wilbur in Glacier? General Discussion 14
chandlerwest Glacier Nat'l Park - "The Collector" Hiking & Camping 7
chandlerwest Glacier Nat'l Park - BCP Fix Hiking & Camping 11
westy Invite Glacier Peak, Washington Meet Up (Members Only) 2
ram Glacier Peak July 2021 Backpacking 9
chandlerwest Glacier Nat'l Park - August 2021 (Fulfillment of a Dream) Hiking & Camping 9
zionsky Glacier NP to Implement Ticketed Entry for Summer Season Trip Planning 29
forest dweller Invite update / edit - have off second and third week in August - wanting to backpack in Glacier, Olympic or Yellowstone, hinges on finding companions. Meet Up (Members Only) 37
travel2walk trip report: Wind River Range – Ross Lakes, Bear Basin, Grasshopper Glacier, & Dinwoody Creek loop, Aug-Sep 2020 Trip Reports 41
marquiri Anyone Submit Their Application for Glacier Yesterday? Trip Planning 3
Outdoor_Fool Snowshoeing to Castner Glacier Ice Cave, Alaska Range Winter Sports 5
Outdoor_Fool Gulkana Glacier Re-visited Backpacking 4
U Favorite sites in Glacier in North Fork, Lake McDonald or Cole/Nyack? Looking at mid july Trip Planning 2
U Any recommendations for 5 days hiking in Wyoming, Idaho or MT? This is around July 15-20. Not counting on Glacier being open Trip Planning 9
U Glacier North Circle Loop Mid July - Looking for an alternative back-up plan for a 3-4 nighter Trip Planning 0
Dave Sperry Soaker (Glacier NP, 2019) Backpacking 10
TeamJenkins17 Few days in Glacier August 2019 Hiking & Camping 0