Glacier National Park June 2014

pstm13

Auribus Teneo Lupum
Scenic Trip Through Glacier National Park in June 2014

My wife, her friend, and I drove from Idaho Falls to northern Montana and spent several days in the park.
As we made our way along the Flathead River, it became apparent that the area received a large amount of rain/snow over the past few days. The river appeared to be swollen and brown. There were large amounts of debris on the bank. At times, entire trees could be seen floating as if just pulled from the bank of the river. Water covered the roads in several low-lying areas but not enough to close the roads leading into the park. The air was thick and full of moisture. The clouds hid the skyline as we approached our campsite at Fish Creek campground located on the south west side of Lake McDonald.

glacier1.jpg

DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0055.JPG

SAM_0064.JPGThe Going to the Sun Road was closed because the pass received several feet of snow.
DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0040.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG
The Trail of the Cedars is a low impact walking path. It was also as far north as we could go before the road closed.

DSC_0043.JPG

DSC_0046.JPG

Because of the road closure, we were forced to drive around the entire park to see the east side.
We stated in the Many Glacier camp site and I loved it. The east side of the park in my opinion is the most scenic by far. There were several hikers on the trail that reported seeing grizzly bears and even a cub. A black bear came into the camp ground one night (not our camp site) during our stay. However, I was disappointed that no one in our group spotted a bear. We did however, see several big horn sheep and mountain goats.

We originally planned to stay near at Saint Mary Lake. However, the campground was flooded out. The Going to the Sun road was also impassable as it washed out a couple of days before we arrived.

DSC_0073.JPG

The higher elevations were snowed in and without crampons/ice axe we were limited to the trails available. We tried to make the best of it and hike loops especially in the Many Glacier area. There are a lot of trails with incredible views.

SAM_0009.JPG

Bighorn sheep watched us as we took pictures of the wildlife and cascading waterfalls.
SAM_0012.JPG
image.jpg
After hiking for several miles we came upon a washed out bridge. My wife would not let me attempt to cross as the stream was swollen and dropped off a cliff after 50 yards. After pouting a little I gave in and we hiked up another branch of the trail.

SAM_0022.JPG SAM_0046.JPG SAM_0050.JPG SAM_0051.JPG SAM_0052.JPG SAM_0059.JPG SAM_0062.JPG
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
There were significant signs of grizzly activity in the Many Glacier area. Bear scat was all over the tail. Roots were torn up from the ground every 1/4 mile. image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
DSC_0098.JPG
We stopped at Flathead Lake and tried to make it to the island and see some wild horses but it did not work out. If I had it to do over again I would go later in the season and skip Flathead lake and spend all my time in GNP.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Last edited:
Glacier in June is certainly a hard time to get into a lot of the park's interior but man some fun experiences can still be had there, like it appears you had! My favorite part of June up there is all the water and the flowers it brings forth. Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful pictures! I was there the same time as you, it reminded me of a hurricane with all the rain. Water was over the road in several places by St Mary's. I think it was something like 26 avalanches that came down on Going To The Sun Road during the storms. Glad you were able to get some hiking in. I love that Many Glacier area. What trail where you on where you came to the washed out bridge?

Beautiful pictures! I was there the same time as you, it reminded me of a hurricane with all the rain. Water was over the road in several places by St Mary's. I think it was something like 26 avalanches that came down on Going To The Sun Road during the storms. Glad you were able to get some hiking in. I love that Many Glacier area. What trail where you on where you came to the washed out bridge?
We were on the Iceburg Lake trail.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
norwegianxplorer 7 days backpacking Breheimen/Glacier Home National Park in Norway Backpacking 2
norwegianxplorer Finding Hidden Glacier, 9 days backpacking Jotunheimen National Park Pt3, Norway. Trip Reports 0
chandlerwest Glacier National Park - June 2021 Hiking & Camping 8
Mikjik86 FULL Video Part 2 Backpacking Glacier National Park "North Circle Route" Backpacking 0
Mikjik86 Backpacking Glacier National Park (Part 2 Preview) "North Circle Route" Montana, August 2019 Backpacking 2
E Glacier National Park in Mid July Trip Planning 0
Mikjik86 Backpacking Glacier National Park August 2019 Backpacking 3
Mikjik86 Backpacking Glacier National Park - North Circle Route Part 1 Preview Video. Backpacking 1
chandlerwest Glacier National Park - August 2019 Hiking & Camping 20
R 6 day Glacier National Park Trip August 6th-14th Advice Trip Planning 0
chandlerwest Glacier National Park -- June 2019 Hiking & Camping 15
N Olympic National Park - Anderson Glacier Trip Planning 2
piper01 Glacier National Park, Part 4: Ptarmigan Tunnel and Iceberg Lake (Sept 2017) Hiking & Camping 3
piper01 Glacier National Park, Part 3: Grinnell Lake & Glacier (Sept 2017) Hiking & Camping 1
chandlerwest Glacier National Park - August 2018 Hiking & Camping 8
T Gobblers Knob in Glacier View Wilderness / Mt. Rainier National Park Hiking & Camping 6
piper01 Glacier National Park, Part 2: Siyeh Pass (Sept 2017) Hiking & Camping 2
piper01 Glacier National Park, Part 1: Hidden Lake and St. Mary & Virginia Falls (Sept 2017) Hiking & Camping 3
chandlerwest Glacier National Park - June 2018 Hiking & Camping 19
chandlerwest Glacier National Park - Summer 2017 Hiking & Camping 14
H ON THE ROAD WILD WEST :: Yellowstone, Grand Teton, & Glacier National Park Big Sky Road Trip Photography 8
chandlerwest Glacier National Park - I cannot run out of superlatives. Hiking & Camping 20
Bryan Harwood Glacier National Park: Wintersun on Mount Brown March. 2016 Hiking & Camping 4
Tim Valentine Glacier National Park Tim and Holly Part 2 Backpacking 6
Tim Valentine Glacier National Park August 2015 Part1 Backpacking 13
Chuck the Mauler Glacier National Park (Chief Mtn. Border to Many Glacier) Backpacking 5
isleroyaleguy Glacier national park fire General Discussion 25
Tres Westbrook Bear Glacier - Kenai Fjords National Park On The Water 10
Joey Glacier National Park: Piegan Pass, Many Glacier, Ptarmigan Tunnel, Belly River, Fifty Mountain Loop Backpacking 15
Joey Invite Glacier National Park, June and July, 2015 Meet Up (Members Only) 11
Curt Glacier Bay National Park On The Water 4
Tyler Glacier National Park and Missoula, Montana May 2006 Hiking & Camping 5
TheMountainRabbit Ortenburger Lake, Talus Lake, & Glacier Peak (Grand Teton NP) - October 2023 Backpacking 14
Rockskipper Did someone put another monolith on Mt. Wilbur in Glacier? General Discussion 14
chandlerwest Glacier Nat'l Park - "The Collector" Hiking & Camping 7
chandlerwest Glacier Nat'l Park - BCP Fix Hiking & Camping 11
westy Invite Glacier Peak, Washington Meet Up (Members Only) 2
ram Glacier Peak July 2021 Backpacking 9
chandlerwest Glacier Nat'l Park - August 2021 (Fulfillment of a Dream) Hiking & Camping 9
zionsky Glacier NP to Implement Ticketed Entry for Summer Season Trip Planning 29
forest dweller Invite update / edit - have off second and third week in August - wanting to backpack in Glacier, Olympic or Yellowstone, hinges on finding companions. Meet Up (Members Only) 37
travel2walk trip report: Wind River Range – Ross Lakes, Bear Basin, Grasshopper Glacier, & Dinwoody Creek loop, Aug-Sep 2020 Trip Reports 41
marquiri Anyone Submit Their Application for Glacier Yesterday? Trip Planning 3
Outdoor_Fool Snowshoeing to Castner Glacier Ice Cave, Alaska Range Winter Sports 5
Outdoor_Fool Gulkana Glacier Re-visited Backpacking 4
U Favorite sites in Glacier in North Fork, Lake McDonald or Cole/Nyack? Looking at mid july Trip Planning 2
U Any recommendations for 5 days hiking in Wyoming, Idaho or MT? This is around July 15-20. Not counting on Glacier being open Trip Planning 9
U Glacier North Circle Loop Mid July - Looking for an alternative back-up plan for a 3-4 nighter Trip Planning 0
Dave Sperry Soaker (Glacier NP, 2019) Backpacking 10
TeamJenkins17 Few days in Glacier August 2019 Hiking & Camping 0