Gila River - Gila Wilderness, New Mexico - April 18, 2022

It's good to know about the gumbo. I have looked at those when I wanted to spend extra money on the trail. Now I will not be tempted as much.

The hummingbird had some nerve trying to pick your nose like that.

Once I saw a pair of hummingbirds putting on a display in Willow Gulch. It was like an airshow as the male was wooing the female with flybys and immelmann turns.

You know, I was just looking for average on the Gumbo, but it had no flavor to speak of, though it was salty with a little bit of a bite to it.

The hummingbird didn't know what it was getting into. :)

Your hummingbirds in Willow Gulch would have been nice to see.

I am sooooo sad…no pics of th world famous jerky! Ryan had to have brought some for y’all….my mouth’s waterin just thinkin of that jerky!

Of course he brought his jerky. I didn't think to take a picture of the jerky though. :( Ryan brought one quart sized Ziploc full of jerky and then a second Ziploc about half full. We were eating jerky at every meal and snack breaks. :thumbsup: I'll try to get a picture of some the next time I do a trip with him. He really needs to start selling it. The best jerky I have ever tasted.

He’s coming to Yellowstone in Sept I hope…..if not, I’ll have to swing further west in NM to grab some from him on th way up!

He's still deciding on whether or not he is coming up in September. He might do the Wapiti Trip over the Grizzly Lake one - still up in the air at this point.
Put me down for both please….th Achilles is @95% currently…was bout 50% last year…and I be prayin fo normal temps..not record highs when we be there!

Great trip and great report, Hugh! I am glad you got to see sign of the endangered Mexican Grey Wolf. They are struggling to build a viable population as a recovery population here. They keep getting killed. I saw no sign of them on my backpack there. Did you hear any?

Wow, I'm surprised you saw so many Mexican gray wolf tracks. In all my trips there, I've seen more anti-wolf billboards than actual tracks. Perhaps it was because you were in a very different micro-climate/environment relative to much of the rest of the Gila. Your trip was more desert-ish than any I've done there.
The Gila is a special place, and the first designated Wilderness Area.
In fact that is the place where Wilderness was invented, by Aldo Leopold when he was the head of the Forest Service if memory serves. Special place.

@Artemus is back! YAY!

I did post a photo once, but here's another (sorry for the hijack, and thanks Artie, now nobody will want to hike with me unless I carry their pack, but I am rather handsome, if I don't say so).

OK, I'm going to change my avatar if I can figure out how...

mukeapproved.jpg

Last edited:
Great trip and great report, Hugh! I am glad you got to see sign of the endangered Mexican Grey Wolf. They are struggling to build a viable population as a recovery population here. They keep getting killed. I saw no sign of them on my backpack there. Did you hear any?

No, unfortunately we didn't hear any. My Forest Service friend said that their population was slowly growing. Is this not the case? I don't have any data to support his claim.

I do not think there is ANY photographic evidence of @Rockskipper on this site. She likes to be anonymous :)

That @Rockskipper is a tough nut to crack. She is as elusive as the Mexican Grey Wolf. She only leaves tracks on the trail.

Last edited:
@Artemus is back! YAY!

I did post a photo once, but here's another (sorry for the hijack, and thanks Artie, now nobody will want to hike with me unless I carry their pack, but I am rather handsome, if I don't say so).

OK, I'm going to change my avatar if I can figure out how...

View attachment 109546

Look at those ears! :heart_eyes: Who says that you are not photogenic? If I can post my ugly mug on weekly basis here, anybody can. :D

Wait.... this dude up the road just moved in and brought a miniature donkey with him. That little donkey is like the cutest thing ever... till it tries to take off your fingers cuz ya pet its nose. Are you friends with that donkey, @Rockskipper? Can ya tell it to be nicer to me?