Garfield Basin or "Don't ever let me hike here again"

Aldaron

Well, on August 18, 2012, my wife and I took another couple to backpack to Spider Lake in Garfield Basin up in the Uintas. We had backpacked to Long Park and Swasey Lake before, but I wanted to make it further to Spider Lake. The friends, I should mention, were younger, but had never been backpacking before.

So I broke my first rule of introducing people to backpacking: I went somewhere I had never been before. Then I broke my second rule: I took them on a trail I knew to be pretty hard and long.

Yeah.

Well, the hike to Garfield is surprisingly tough. There are a lot of, what we call back in east Tennessee, PUDs (Pointless Ups and Downs). There are just as many ascents coming out as there are going in. The trail is also crazy rocky, even by Uinta standards, making for slow hiking.

Luckily, the weather was nice, but it took us about 7 hours to go the nearly 10 miles to Spider Lake. We didn't see many people at all, so at least that part was nice.

But the whole trail and Spider were just trashed out. There was so much trash along the trail that eventually I ran out of places to put it in my pack and had to stop picking it up. At first I thought it was another careless scout troop, but at Spider I found a large broken glass bottle of Jack Daniels...I figured that probably wasn't a scout troop. So then I started thinking it was probably careless horse riders...there was a lot of evidence of recent horses on the trail.

I have never seen this much trash in a western wilderness...I was terribly disgusted by it.

Spider was very pretty otherwise, and we had the lake totally to ourselves. We heard a pack of coyotes at night, so that was cool.

On the way out the next day, I saw a helicopter hovering over some cliff bands, and it flew around for awhile. As we descended the mountain, they saw us and hovered right over us for a couple of minutes until we waved and they waved back. When we got back to the trailhead, there was a SAR in progress. We gave them our info and then headed home. We learned later that they found the missing woman down near Moon Lake.

The hike was long and hard, with all the ascents and rocks. I think my hiking companions wanted to kill me, but they all muscled through it. I don't know if I'll ever convince the new people to hike again, but we'll see. But don't ever let me hike that trail again. The reward just wasn't worth the effort, and the trash totally killed it. I want to think that all the trash was a result of one irresponsible party, but, if so, they really worked to trash the place.

Anyway, here are some of the pictures:

P1030231.jpg

P1030232.jpg

P1030243.jpg

Rocky trail even by Uinta standards

P1030270.jpg

P1030247.jpg

P1030253.jpg

P1030273.jpg

P1030280.jpg

The UHP helicopter just after checking us out.

P1030289.jpg

P1030292.jpg
10 miles up the trail...

P1030258.JPG

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Sounds like a rough trip. I've gotta admit, I've never been all that impressed by most of the south slope of the Uintas. All the trails to get in are so much longer, scenery isn't usually as good and the frackin' horse packers. Not all of them of course, but enough that do it the wrong way to make them all look bad. Side note: perhaps it's because I just got done watching the latest episode of Survivorman, but that Jack Daniels bottle would make an awesome pot for boiling water in a pinch! :lol:

Good idea!

You're probably right...maybe I'll start sticking to the north slope trails.

Thanks for the TR and heads up.

On the helicopter checking you out... This comes up more than you expect. We should all know how to wave them off that you are ok or ask them to land. See page 61 of this reference from the fire fighter guys for the land here and wave off signals.

pdf of signals

It's funny you say that. When we first saw the helicopter about a 1/4 of a mile away, I told the others in my group not to wave at it so we didn't risk making them think we needed rescuing. And then when the chopper saw us and hovered just above us, there was an awkward moment when we all just sat there and looked at each other. After a few seconds, we decided to give a casual wave to the chopper. The guy on lookout then waved back and the chopper moved on.

I knew I had seen hand signals before, but I didn't remember what they were, so I came home and looked for some hand signal pictures to add to my phone for reference. I didn't find any good ones, so your link helps a lot.

That seems like a good idea. Thanks for the link!

After all that worry that I didn't know how to signal the helicopter on this trip, last night I noticed what was printed on the underside of the lid of my wife's backpack the whole time. Her response when I pointed it out: "Yeah, I knew it was there."

photo.JPG

the problem with these south slope trails is you have to go so far to get to the goods... defnitely some PUDs.

all the trash doesn't surprise me much, the uintas have long suffered from this, especially the south slope stuff. i've seen some crazy horse packer camps and trash around atwood and kidney lakes. the worst trash i've seen lately is at deadhorse. there is a huge pile of shit up there on the far end of the lake, 20 feet from the water. all sorts of garbage. truly disgusting.

that said, I went into garfield for the first time this year. i was VERY pleasantly surprised how awesome it is. I don't tend to expect much from the alpine basins on that side of the divide, but garfield is probably the nicest one. really really good, but we were up there by tungsten and north star. definitely on my "go back" list.

thanks for TR :twothumbs:

Well, on August 18, 2012, my wife and I took another couple to backpack to Spider Lake in Garfield Basin up in the Uintas. We had backpacked to Long Park and Swasey Lake before, but I wanted to make it further to Spider Lake. The friends, I should mention, were younger, but had never been backpacking before.

So I broke my first rule of introducing people to backpacking: I went somewhere I had never been before. Then I broke my second rule: I took them on a trail I knew to be pretty hard and long.

Yeah.

Well, the hike to Garfield is surprisingly tough. There are a lot of, what we call back in east Tennessee, PUDs (Pointless Ups and Downs). There are just as many ascents coming out as there are going in. The trail is also crazy rocky, even by Uinta standards, making for slow hiking.

Luckily, the weather was nice, but it took us about 7 hours to go the nearly 10 miles to Spider Lake. We didn't see many people at all, so at least that part was nice.

But the whole trail and Spider were just trashed out. There was so much trash along the trail that eventually I ran out of places to put it in my pack and had to stop picking it up. At first I thought it was another careless scout troop, but at Spider I found a large broken glass bottle of Jack Daniels...I figured that probably wasn't a scout troop. So then I started thinking it was probably careless horse riders...there was a lot of evidence of recent horses on the trail.

I have never seen this much trash in a western wilderness...I was terribly disgusted by it.

Spider was very pretty otherwise, and we had the lake totally to ourselves. We heard a pack of coyotes at night, so that was cool.

On the way out the next day, I saw a helicopter hovering over some cliff bands, and it flew around for awhile. As we descended the mountain, they saw us and hovered right over us for a couple of minutes until we waved and they waved back. When we got back to the trailhead, there was a SAR in progress. We gave them our info and then headed home. We learned later that they found the missing woman down near Moon Lake.

The hike was long and hard, with all the ascents and rocks. I think my hiking companions wanted to kill me, but they all muscled through it. I don't know if I'll ever convince the new people to hike again, but we'll see. But don't ever let me hike that trail again. The reward just wasn't worth the effort, and the trash totally killed it. I want to think that all the trash was a result of one irresponsible party, but, if so, they really worked to trash the place.

Anyway, here are some of the pictures:

View attachment 4784

View attachment 4783

View attachment 4782

Rocky trail even by Uinta standards

View attachment 4779

View attachment 4781

View attachment 4780

View attachment 4777

View attachment 4776

The UHP helicopter just after checking us out.

View attachment 4775

View attachment 4774
10 miles up the trail...

View attachment 4785

Featured image for home page:
View attachment 4786
July 27, 2023/ On August 18, 2012. I was the women (Janet) that was lost up there! Only I hiked 11 miles in that terrain. In the dark. The pictures are beautiful and spot on. I was lost from the afternoon from the previous day. And over night, until the sun was setting the next evening. My husband and I had hiked in to go fishing. In the afternoon, I was tired and decided to start out on the trail. He was still on the other side of the lake. I yelled that I was starting out. He hollered back. Noooooooo! You could get lost! Well! I had done this hike before. I thought, I will take it slow. He can catch up. My husband was raised in Duchesne, Utah. And knows these mountains. Also has a great sense of direction. I was raised in Oklahoma. No mountains, flat land everywhere. You see the Sun rise and set. Literally! Yep! A city girl. I had acclimated to hiking and fishing over the years. But our children on family hikes would still draw straws to see who had to hike with mom in the back. The sun went down. The temperature dropped and I kept hiking in that terrain to just stay warm. If I stopped. I knew I would freeze. My teeth were chattering. My husband had all the water and supplies in his backpack. And I was way off course. He called Search and Rescue. They said, the terrain was to dangerous in the dark. And the search would start at sun up. Deer were staring at me through the night. No telling what other animals. Finally morning came. I was very dehydrated. In my delirium, I thought that I found some foot prints in the mud. It was so strange. They were barefoot. And whoever they belong to their toenails were horrific! So I started following them. I climbed right up a mountain following them. They led me to a small baby deer that had been eaten. Being very dehydrated equals following a black bear straight up a mountain. That's when I kept seeing the helicopters. I was up high. They were looking lower. Where I was, horses could never make it in. The sun was starting to go down. Time to brace for another freezing night. I had been praying with all my heart. I sat down, leaned on a rock and started yelling my husband 's name. And yelling for help. It seemed like forever. Then I heard a whistle. I started screaming, I'm over here. Up and over a steep hill. Rob, his son Travis and Nephew Randy came up. They were soaked in sweat. I was crying and asked if they were Search and Rescue. Rob said, no. But we have been looking for you all day. Rob had seen the helicopters and called into the sheriff to see what was happening. After being informed. He told his wife that he had a feeling that he knew where I was and needed to go and find me. I have taught Special Education as a Para-educator for 25 years. Rob's son was special needs and in high school. He took off his coat and wrapped it around me. He had come prepared with food and candy. This was a miracle to me. My tears were flowing. He radioed his wife first. Then the Sheriff. The helicopter came but couldn't land because of the terrain. Oh my! The highway patrolman did his best to get me into a helicopter flying way above what I could reach! Okay......it took two trys to get in and grab the leg of that seat! I will forever be grateful to Rob and his diserment. And his family. The helicopter flew me eleven miles back to the trail head. Where my family was waiting. And I fell into their arms.

Last edited:
Makes my heart sad that there was that much trash on the trail. What the hell is wrong with people??