Gaia GPS App Questoin

john.maldaner

Based on recommendations from the folks here, I have purchased and subscribed to he Gaia GPS app. I have found the user interface to be intuitive and the app finds and maintains its GPS signal better than similar apps I've used. I am using the app on my iPhone 6, predominantly in the Shawnee National Forest of southern Illinois while horseback riding. The more I use Gaia, the better I like it! But, I have inadvertently shut the app down during a trail ride three times this year. I am trying to troubleshoot what I have done wrong as I believe this to be user error. Has anyone else experienced this phenomena? If so, have you identified a cause?

Here is an example of the most recent experience. This past Monday we rode for roughly 4-1/2 hours covering about 16 miles. After opening Gaia and setting my starting location and starting the tracker, I set my phone on Airplane Mode. For the first half of the ride I took several pictures. My method of activating the camera each time was to tap the home button once to wake up the phone and swipe left to immediately go into camera mode. Several times during the trip I accessed Gaia to set waypoints and to check my location. At roughly the 8-mile point we stopped for lunch at which time I took a few more pictures. I recall opening the phone to see if I also had a cell signal, which I did, and to check FB. We resumed our trip after lunch. About an hour later I went to check Gaia to see how close we might be to our final destination, only to find that Gaia was no longer tracking. My tracking stopped at about the 8-1/2 mile point or about 15 minutes after the lunch stop. I am wracking my brain to recall what I might have done on the phone to accidentally shut of tracking. When I look at Gaia while its tracking, I sometimes check total distance traveled, average moving speed and top speed. I don't recall touching anything that would terminate tracking, but I am asking if anyone can think of something I could have inadvertently done to cause this!

Fortunately, all three times when Gaia quit tracking unexpectedly I was on well known trails with no real chance of becoming disoriented. But, there are times it would be a bigger problem if I were to lose the tracking! In any event, I enjoy seeing the statistics from our rides and me shutting down the app accidentally has got to stop! Thanks for any advice or tips to check out! (I attached a couple of pictures from the most recent trail ride as a point of interest.)

Attachments

• IMG_5871.JPG
    IMG_5871.JPG
    839.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5864.JPG
    IMG_5864.JPG
    671.5 KB · Views: 25
I'm not sure that anyone here has the technical expertise with the back end of Gaia to tell you what's wrong. I have heard, though, that Gaia's tech support is particularly helpful and they'd definitely be the right people to reach out to. Odds are, if the app is crashing or stopping recording for some reason, they can look at the logs on your account and see what's wrong.

One thing I've found with various apps over the years, is sometimes in your Settings, you need to allow an app permission to operate in the background, particularly if you're using Power Saver mode or some such. I have no idea how that works on IOS, but play around with it a little bit. If that yields no results, Gaia support is your way to go.

I'm not sure that anyone here has the technical expertise with the back end of Gaia to tell you what's wrong. I have heard, though, that Gaia's tech support is particularly helpful and they'd definitely be the right people to reach out to. Odds are, if the app is crashing or stopping recording for some reason, they can look at the logs on your account and see what's wrong.

One thing I've found with various apps over the years, is sometimes in your Settings, you need to allow an app permission to operate in the background, particularly if you're using Power Saver mode or some such. I have no idea how that works on IOS, but play around with it a little bit. If that yields no results, Gaia support is your way to go.
Thank you! I found this problem addressed in the Gaia Help section. It has to do with the amount of processing power this app uses. If you take panorama pictures, for instance, while using the app the OS can shut the app down. It will automatically resume tracking if you set location services to Always. I had this set to While Using. I changed it. Let’s see if this fixes things.

Attachments

• 70E65B2D-9AB2-4AFD-9ABB-F3A49C485F2A.png
    70E65B2D-9AB2-4AFD-9ABB-F3A49C485F2A.png
    109.5 KB · Views: 33
Thank you! I found this problem addressed in the Gaia Help section. It has to do with the amount of processing power this app uses. If you take panorama pictures, for instance, while using the app the OS can shut the app down. It will automatically resume tracking if you set location services to Always. I had this set to While Using. I changed it. Let’s see if this fixes things.
Boom!

thanks for posting @john.maldaner , I love Gaia!
I also experienced that Gaia stopped recording a track, just a few days ago. I didn’t pause the tracking and I do have “Location“ set on “always”. No idea what happened and I didn’t take panoramas that day. I may just start using waypoints much more, if it happens more frequently. It wasn’t a big deal that day.

Today I took several panoramas and Gaia kept recording (I recently replaced my old iPhone 6 with the latest iPhone 11).
keep us updated pls and let us know what happens.

I will certainly update my experiences here. Please do the same. I hope to replace my 6 with the 11 in the future. Perhaps a stronger processor will help matters.

Today I took several panoramas and Gaia kept recording (I recently replaced my old iPhone 6 with the latest iPhone 11).
keep us updated pls and let us know what happens.

Were you on your old iPhone 6 or your new iPhone 11 when it stopped recording? I'd be surprised if this were an issue on newer models.

Were you on your old iPhone 6 or your new iPhone 11 when it stopped recording? I'd be surprised if this were an issue on newer models.

Agree.
I was on my new iPhone 11, this Sunday in Crack Canyon. It has only happened once and tracking was paused already after 4 mins into Crack Canyon. I didn’t realize it, until we were on route between Crack and Chute canyon, and we were off a downloaded route. I “resumed recording” and it was fine after that.

No other issues in the past 10 days, I have used the app every day. Im inclined to think, I made a mistake on Sunday. Gaia is an awesome app.