Floating Smith River in Montana

I would be surprised if they factor in resident vs. non-resident at all. I don't think any other rivers do that, but then again most are run by the federal gov, not the state. Have you heard that they specifically factor residency in for the Smith?

I have not, but I wouldn't be surprised if they allot so many towards residents.
and as a state park that should be their priority.

I'm certain it's all completely random though. (unless you're willing to slip the ranger a
few Benjamins) ;)

I think it's a random lottery. Your stuff comes in get some sort of number and then numbers are drawn. I don't (and wouldn't) think they pay attention to in state vs. out of state. But I could be wrong too.

But we did draw a permit in our "party", we might have space.

But.....

It's a later date 7/17 and......

81% snowpack right now... Hopefully we will have the water to float....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 5.39.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 5.39.19 PM.png
    199.8 KB · Views: 15
Well we are a week out from launch. Flows are low, and fishing has been restricted to hoot owl hours. Our group numbers are dropping fast, so I do have a few open spots on a family friendly trip.

I've been reading elsewhere that it's too low to float without a ton of dragging. Are you concerned about that?

Not really. We are in single man pontoon boats and they require a lot less water. Last year we launched around 110 CFS, didn't "drag" at all unless the individual person mis-read the flow of the river (and then it usually wasn't more then 2-3 feet). The party before us was something like 6-8 inflatable kayaks, we saw them at put in and never again. The party behind us floated 2 FULLY loaded rafts (I mean fully loaded). We leap frogged them almost every day starting on day 2. I asked if they had to drag and they said no, just them getting out gave the raft enough float to not have to drag. For example one day we passed them and made camp while they were fishing. It was a straight stretch of water with a narrow deeper channel on river right. We were able to float through to camp. When they came through, they all got out and walked, but didn't drag. The raft was to big to float in the channel we had used. We also saw 2 different canoe parties and they were moving down the river really good.

I think it boils down what your floating in/on, and how light/heavy you pack. I'm a backpacker generally so most of my stuff is light and compact. The first half of the first day was skinny water, and the last day was super slow water, but otherwise we had absolutely no problems.

I attached a pic of our 3 boats loaded at launch last year.

Attachments

• IMG_4556.jpg
    IMG_4556.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 15
It's that time of year again. Smith River permit applications are open! Who's putting in for a trip this year?

I put in for another helping of disappointment. Just like the disappointment I got from yet another failure in the Grand Canyon follow up lottery just a few minutes ago. I'm expecting more emails like this in mid-February. :(

upload_2018-1-11_14-54-13.png

I will put in again. Just not sure of dates yet. Waiting for January's basin report to be released (early February) before I do. Would like to go in better water, but really enjoy being lazy and not having to do it in 4 nights. Only me and the stepdaughter this year lol.

I will put in again. Just not sure of dates yet. Waiting for January's basin report to be released (early February) before I do. Would like to go in better water, but really enjoy being lazy and not having to do it in 4 nights. Only me and the stepdaughter this year lol.

I just looked at the SNOTEL report released today and by my uneducated eye, it looks like levels are good.

What range of dates is ideal for floating the Smith?

I don't recall exactly, but it if memory serves it becomes almost unfloatable early in the summer.
Is that correct?

I believe "prime" is May/June as it will most likely have the best water. I've gone in mid July. One year it was great, another it sucked. Lol. It's all a gamble based on snowpack and how fast it comes out in the spring. Putting in tonight, the basin report came out and so far it's looking fairly decent.