Flight cancelled, need last minute info

Vegan.Hiker

Hi guys,

So my flight plans got changed for tomorrow because my connecting flight out of Denver was cancelled due to a snow storm. I was supposed to make it to SLC by 1:45 and was going to drive straight to Squaw Flat and take the short mile hike to camp at BS1 in the Needles. I won't be landing in SLC until 4:05 now so I'm thinking I won't make it to Squaw Flat in time to hike out to BS1. It's my first time to Canyonlands so I'm pretty sure I'd get lost if I tried finding BS1 in the dark. Any advice on where I can camp close to the needles (or at least somewhere on the way from SLC) that won't be full arriving late on an April Saturday (I'm assuming the Squaw Flat campground will be full). Doesn't need to be nice, just convenient, as I'll be getting there late and leaving first thing in the morning. If anyone has coords that they wouldn't mind sending me I'll be forever grateful.

Thanks,
John

If no where else, you could probably stay at my brother's in Orem.

That sucks. I can set you up with coords to plenty of good spots between SLC and Moab, but I haven't primitive car camped between Moab and The Needles. There are quite a few BLM camp areas in Indian Creek, but that place was pretty busy last month. I'd imagine it'll be packed on a Saturday in mid-April.

Oh, and if you ever need a place to crash or clean up at in SLC, there's a guest room and four dogs here at my place ready to greet you.

If you want to take a scenic longer route and go down through Hanksville and up through Blanding and Monticello, then I'd have more coords to share. That's a beautiful drive too. Could be a good way to salvage the situation. Drive down to south of Hanksville after your flight and camp, then drive North Wash to Blanding that morning. Seriously a fantastic stretch of road.

Be aware that there is a pretty good storm going on in s. Utah right now. Saturday is better. Sunday even better. For camping, the Lockhart basin road between Indian creek and the needles is BLM land with informaL camping. A right turn when heading west after passing Indian creek.
- Art in Torrey....

Reactions: Ben
If no where else, you could probably stay at my brother's in Orem.

Thanks Ben! I really don't want to lose a night in the backcountry though.

If you want to take a scenic longer route and go down through Hanksville and up through Blanding and Monticello, then I'd have more coords to share. That's a beautiful drive too. Could be a good way to salvage the situation. Drive down to south of Hanksville after your flight and camp, then drive North Wash to Blanding that morning. Seriously a fantastic stretch of road.

Thanks Nick. This sounds like a good plan. Would you be able to send me coords of a spot south of Hanksville in case I end up making good time, and coords to a spot north of Hanksville closer to Rt. 70 in case I'm not making good time. I have a pretty long day planned for Sun so I'd like to go as far south of Hanksville as possible to make the next day's drive shorter (if I drive south of the park to Blanding) or stop short of Hanksville closer to 70 (if I drive north of the park to Blanding).

Thanks a ton!

Be aware that there is a pretty good storm going on in s. Utah right now. Saturday is better. Sunday even better. For camping, the Lockhart basin road between Indian creek and the needles is BLM land with informaL camping. A right turn when heading west after passing Indian creek.
- Art in Torrey....

Yeah this storm has me debating whether to unpack my 32 bag and bring my 20 instead. Lows were supposed to be mid 40's but now looking like low 30's. I'm laying over in Dallas instead of Denver because of the storm.

Last edited:
Yeah this storm has me debating whether to unpack my 32 bag and bring my 20 instead. Lows were supposed to be mid 40's but now looking like low 30's. I'm laying over in Dallas instead of Denver because of the storm.
This time of year gives you everything weather wise. I would bring the warmer bag. You can always unzip it if the nights get warm.

Nick hooked me up with some great coords. Thanks again Nick!!

Does anyone have a good suggestion on where I can buy a fuel tank and some wag bags between SLC and Hanksville? I was planning on stopping somewhere in Moab but now I won't be passing through there.

I swear I planned for this trip lol.

Nick hooked me up with some great coords. Thanks again Nick!!

Does anyone have a good suggestion on where I can buy a fuel tank and some wag bags between SLC and Hanksville? I was planning on stopping somewhere in Moab but now I won't be passing through there.

I swear I planned for this trip lol.

We are in Moab and would be happy to host you for a night. We are on warmshowers.org , and enjoy host bikers and hikers. Otherwise I second Lockhart road.

Watch out for deanhill. His low key story telling depicting grand adventures might persuade you to do things you shouldn't!

3 of the 3.53 oz cannisters. I can usualy get 20ish boils out of one.

Or 1 @ 8 oz and 2 @ 3.53

We can get it when we arrive in SLC. No worries. Safe travels, Vegan

You've got a bunch of options in Salt Lake. Just off of I-15 from 215 south, you have Sportsman's Warehouse, REI, Scheels and Cabela's basically all lined up. Any of them will have what you need. The Sportsman's is the first one you'll come to and maybe one of the easier on and offs. https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...e!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x3b4ee9e24f2bf3e1