Flash flood fatalities at Water Canyon

Dave

Broadcaster, formerly "ashergrey"
Details still coming in but I'm hearing six dead, eight missing and two recovered from a flash flood in Water Canyon or thereabouts.

The forecast made clear today was an absolutely terrible day to be in a slot around Zion.

Looks to be IN the town of Hildale. People driving.

The flood water overflowed Short Creek. The official word from Washington County is two cars were washed away in Maxwell Canyon.

That is just insane. I just saw 3 now confirmed dead, still 4 more missing in Zion. And I think still one missing in Hilldale. Could go to 20. Hopefully they're just hiding out on a ledge like the missing people in the Subway a few years back. Unbelievable.

That is just insane. I just saw 3 now confirmed dead, still 4 more missing in Zion. And I think still one missing in Hilldale. Could go to 21. Hopefully they're just hiding out on a ledge like the missing people in the Subway a few years back. Unbelievable.

I sure don't remember seeing any high ground when I was in Keyhole. Once you are in, there's no way to get out of the flood path until you are finished. I predict the news will continue to be tragic in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sure don't remember seeing any high ground when I was in Keyhole. Once you are in, there's no way to get out of the flood path until you are finished. I predict the news will continue to be tragic in there.

Right before the first rap where the first slot section opens up, right before it goes subterranean. But yeah, the rest of it probably not.

I'm planning to hike Water Canyon and Canaan Mountain on Monday (although the forecast looks like it may not co-operate). I presume access is OK by now after this incident? Anyone know anything about the condition of the road?

I'm planning to hike Water Canyon and Canaan Mountain on Monday (although the forecast looks like it may not co-operate). I presume access is OK by now after this incident? Anyone know anything about the condition of the road?

I don't know first-hand but I'd anticipate a lot of road damage.