Five Finger Shoes

SirDonB

So what's next?
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, was not sure if it should be under the gear section or not, So I am posting here. If it is wrong, mods, feel free to move to the correct section.

I heard about this new type of shoe called Five Finger Shoes a few years ago. I looked into them a little then, and could not get over the price of them. I will be putting some money aside for new boots soon, and was wondering if anyone here has owned them or done any hiking with them or someone who has had them?

I like the concept, but for the price they ask, I dont know if they will hold up to the wear and tear to be a primary pair of shoes. Thank you to anyone who can help me with this.

I've never used them and never wanted to, so I'm no help. But we had a pretty good thread about them a while back. Check it out:

http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/gear-question-vibram-five-fingers.240/

Thanks, just read through the whole thread... first couple of posts were about the shoe, then it went off on other brands. Good discussion, but would have like to see more about the Five Finger Shoe.

Based off Gloo's reply, I just may go ahead and pull the trigger on a pair when I have the money to do so. Certinly will have to go to a local dealer and try on a pair to get a feel for them first.

Haha.......how about 5 toe shoes. Wouldn't want my fingers in them with my toes.

For river rafting and lake trips I have loved mine. Hiking, backpacking and canyoneering I have used them, but didn't like them much.
I think @gloo hit the main points to consider with the shoes in that other thread.

Why I didn't like them for hiking and such was my foot got tired out too easily and I've been using them all summer. Most of all, they didn't have as good of grip as the 5.10 Canyoneer or Exum Guide I usually use for such activities.

@jentzschman has a pair and he loves them. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about them.

Woot is selling some for really cheap right now.

http://sport.woot.com/offers/mens-and-womens-vibram-fivefingers-1?ref=cnt_dly_wobtn

I have 2 pair. They aren't bad, I use them all the time. I hike into Orderville Canyon the other week with the most basic model of Vibrams and my feet got really sore. I wouldn't recommend these shoes unless you are into minimalist shoes.

They hold up well. I have been using my basic pair for a few years and they are still strong. They survived the Spartan Race and the Dirty Dash many times.

Thank you all that replied, its kinda funny, I ran into a few people with them on during a family outing on Sat, so I got to talk to them about their shoes... got wildly diferent POV's from everyone I talked to. So what I am gonna do is this, as soon as have the money to buy a pair, I will do so to see how I like them. I am usually running around where and when I can bare foot anyway. Because I have seen in some of the research I have done, size can vary slightly between models, I will decide on what model I want/need for my purposes, then go to a local store that sells them and get properly sized for the shoe. It looks like off the website, I can either be a 43 or 44 depending on the size of shoe I wear which can range anywhere between a 10.5-11.5.

I have gotten good feedback from the people I talked to in person and from you guys plus the other thread.... I think the path I will take will be the best one. As said before, I wanted to try them a few years back when I first heard of them, now that I am over the sticker shock, I think its time to get a pair to see if I like them. I think I will since I usually go bare foot as much as I can anyway.

SirDonB, where will you be hiking and with what kind of load on your back? Using minimalist shoes to climb a scree covered mountain is not going to work well. Or using them with a 40 lbs backpack is just asking for trouble. I have yet to see a pair of minimalist shoes with quarter inch lugs. You should match the shoe to the terrain you plan on hiking.

If you can hike the trail in a pair of tennis shoes, then five fingers will work just as well if your feet can handle it.

Thank you all that replied

SirDonB, where will you be hiking and with what kind of load on your back? Using minimalist shoes to climb a scree covered mountain is not going to work well. Or using them with a 40 lbs backpack is just asking for trouble. I have yet to see a pair of minimalist shoes with quarter inch lugs. You should match the shoe to the terrain you plan on hiking.

If you can hike the trail in a pair of tennis shoes, then five fingers will work just as well if your feet can handle it.

To answer your quetion, I will mainly be in Upstate New York, the Catskills, Adirondacks, and areas surrounding Albany, NY... I may venture into Western Mass or Vermont once in a while. Load will varry depending on exactly what I am out there for, if I am planning on doing any camping, then it could be between 30-50lbs, but if I am just doing a day hike, it will be much lighter than that...

Now I realize that my asking about these shoes in particlar here on a camping/hiking/outdoors site gives the impression that I plan to mainly hike with them... the truth of the matter is, I am just asking in general and had planned on using them more as my everyday shoe or even work shoe. Hiking and camping would be secondary for the shoes.

I may have been too vague in my OP. If I was, I appologize for that. I just want to know how they hold up under normal daily use. I know the sole will likely last long when used on dirt, sand or other softer tera firma.

I just read a book on running and shoe types were covered at length. Assuming hiking follows the same rules...it was suggested that people with larger frames like myself avoid a more natural sole or going barefoot due to the stress of the extra body weight...just something for future readers to consider.