Fishing (for Trout) and Hunting (for Rock Art) In and Near Capitol Reef National Park

Stephanie B

Steph and Blake
September 2 - 8, 2020

I don't have much of a story to tell of this relaxed trip into south-central Utah, but thought I'd share some photos of the highlights.

Had a little luck finding some Germans in the Fremont, but the temps were high and the fish were picky :

IMG_0780.JPG

IMG_0783.JPG

Attempted to find an alcove containing pictos I'd seen in a couple of reports from the 1930's. However, the hiking was reduced to pushing our way through dense, shoulder-high sage or army-crawling, so we gave up after having lunch in this promising-looking alcove :

DSC01889.JPG

DSC01895.JPG

Took a leisurely hike inside the park to check out this granary and faint pictos :

DSC01896.JPG

DSC01897.JPG

On our last day we hiked out to some petroglyphs I've been wanting to see for some time. Wildfire smoke obscured the dramatic views, so we didn't take any photos of the landscape, but the panels were well worth the long, bumpy drive :

DSC01920.JPG

DSC01922.JPG

DSC01933.JPG

DSC01934.JPG

DSC01935.JPG

Does anyone know what this brown "dirt" is?? We've seen it many, many times and someone once said they thought it's associated to pack rats.

DSC01925.JPG

Does anyone know what this brown "dirt" is?? We've seen it many, many times and someone once said they thought it's associated to pack rats.
Yeah, I think it's just some sort of rodent nest but not sure of the species. I've heard that they can persist for hundreds of years and that people have pulled artifacts out of them. I'm pretty sure I've read archaeological reports about using the nests for dating cultural remains.

Yeah, I think it's just some sort of rodent nest but not sure of the species. I've heard that they can persist for hundreds of years and that people have pulled artifacts out of them. I'm pretty sure I've read archaeological reports about using the nests for dating cultural remains.
Yeah, they are woodrats. I think there are a couple species in s Utah. A guy I work with found some bone tools in a nest a few years back in NW CO.

Yeah, they are woodrats. I think there are a couple species in s Utah. A guy I work with found some bone tools in a nest a few years back in NW CO.
So, is the "dirt" actually poop or regurgitated mud? And are the clumps hollow such that they act as a den?

The middens consist of all kinds of stuff. Dirt, sticks, urine, droppings, and various items that the wood rat has collected over time.

Nice trout!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
OldBill Am I wasting my time fishing for Wind River golden trout mid-September? Trip Planning 12
Bob Fishing - Alaska Everything Else 6
swmalone Fly Fishing in SE Idaho General Discussion 4
Dreamer Sublette County backroads fly fishing and truck camping On The Water 7
Dreamer Hiking w/ Eric, Fishing w/ Al Backpacking 5
balzaccom Got interviewed about fly-fishing General Discussion 0
dpnoll Fly fishing in the Spanish Pyrenees On The Water 0
AKay09 5 day hike with lots of water and fishing? Trip Planning 13
Westernoutdoorsman66 So Cal Fly Fishing Trip Planning 0
Brian Skibbe 8+ day backpacking trip in the Teton wilderness in May/June. Hunting(small game)/fishing possible? Trip Planning 29
BryanG Fishing Gear for Backpacking Gear 8
Austin Fishing/Backpacking advice for the Uintas (Ruth,Cutthroat,Teal) Trip Planning 9
uintahiker Lunchtime Fishing On The Water 2
Aldaron Drone fishing General Discussion 1
Sam De Vries Uintas fishing/backpacking Trip Planning 4
DrNed Fly Fishing With A Spinner Reel General Discussion 16
N Backpacking in fishing the high uintas Trip Planning 18
Nanda Long Road Trip/Fly Fishing Invite Meet Up (Members Only) 0
heronwheels Shoreline Fishing - Lake Powell Trip Planning 7
DudefromOhio Fishing gear? Gear 7
isleroyaleguy Tetons fishing? Trip Planning 2
C Volunteer Fishing Instructors Needed in Layton Utah General Discussion 1
uthunter Fishing The Wasatch, New Book General Discussion 0
Thomas Rasmuson Stream Fishing? Trip Planning 5
DrNed Tenkara Fly Fishing General Discussion 3
andyjaggy Fishing Gear. Gear 37
T fly fishing the backcountry Trip Planning 0
isleroyaleguy fishing the Winds Trip Planning 6
Nanda Lees Ferry Fly Fishing Trip Planning 18
Kraken Bass November Bass Fishing On The Water 0
Kraken Bass Sand Hollow October Fishing On The Water 0
Kraken Bass Swan Falls Idaho Fishing Report On The Water 0
Kraken Bass Sand Hollow Bass Fishing On The Water 0
Kyle P Hiking and Fly Fishing the Wind Rivers Backpacking 6
Nick Tenkara Fishing General Discussion 46
Tyler Atlanta, Georgia Hiking and Fishing April 2006 Everything Else 2
Tyler I'm fishing at Schofield tomorrow Meet Up (Members Only) 1
wes242 Ice fishing timelapse Photography 4
Tyler Ice Fishing at Scofield Reservoir Jan 2010 On The Water 0
Deadeye008 Fly Fishing Weber River 01-27-12 On The Water 2
Honk34 Day Trip WY Golden Trout Hiking & Camping 1
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley, Trout Creek, Beach Lake, and Arnica Creek Meadows. September 11, 2022. Hiking & Camping 7
scatman Trout Creek and the Headwaters of Alum Creek - September 11, 2022 Hiking & Camping 17
Wanderlust073 Trout and 14ers Meet Up (Members Only) 0
J ISO Tiger Trout in the Uintas Backpacking 8
scatman Trout Creek to Cygnet Lakes - Yellowstone National Park - July 6, 2016 Hiking & Camping 10
Yellowstone 1 Trout Lake, Yellowstone Trip Planning 0
M trout Magic On The Water 13
Nick How to catch Golden Trout General Discussion 8
uintahiker Backpacking for Golden Trout in Wyoming Backpacking 11