First time in the High Uintas | Red Castle SNEAK Loop | I give these mountains 5 out of 5 stars

Hello everyone,

My wife and I after bailing from the Grand Teton trip went south for a 3 day 2 night in the High Uintas (was originally going to be 4 days 3 nights) but because of road work in wyoming a 4 hour drive took 8 hours. This was our first time here, the only info we had was photos and trip reports from this website but we were excited.

It did not disappoint, what a pleasant surprise and fantastic place. I had a little loop/route drawn up for a minute that I wanted to do and we were able to execute it within the 3 days.

DAY 1 | China Meadows > Red Castle Lake
11.43 Miles @ 1995 ft. of Elev. Gain
guzOJ4b.png

Off to the races, beautiful vista

AJGYldf.png

Racing T-storms to Red Castle
s9XesXF.png

F2OEFsl.png

Red Castle lake. Gloomy weather after sheltering from a T-storm, enjoyed the cool air though. At this point in summer (doesn't take long) I get tired of the heat, I prefer cold.

7NHSgLL.png

Red Castle from tent.
g5DGHKF.png

Sun came out later in the evening for a lil bit.
BMdAWVI.png
iHf7FG9.png

Utah Fish & Game makes getting a fishing license easy as hell. Get the app, pay for it, no paper just show the ticket on your phone. Other states need to pull their head out of their @$$ and do the same. Paper permits are archaic.

Great first day, though gloomy. The next 2 days will make up for the poor lighting in droves though!

DAY 2 | Red Castle Lake > The "SNEAK" (Cal topo doesn't have this trail-less pass named) > Porcupine Pass > Tungsten Pass > Unnamed Lake
9.01 Miles @ 2129 ft. of Elev. Gain

HVldjmt.png

The first objective of the day. I also learned the Uintas weather does not cater to my style of backpacking to well. All T-storms literally start at noon and go for a few hours it seemed like. I like sleeping in and getting going at like 10am. I get up early for work, when on vacation my butt is sleeping the hell in.

FWCpmlP.png

Closer to the unnamed pass. The amount of people we saw in total on this 3 day trip (this was Thur-Sat) was about the same amount of people we saw in half a day in Grand Teton NP back country.
Ic4WQEU.png
pTV2CLH.png

The other direction.
4Gx0IZU.png

Other side of the pass. HOLY CRAP. High Country Heaven!
7Z1phUD.png

Down climbing a 30 foot section.

PFyuCNl.png

RUH ROH. I don't think we will make Porcupine Pass anytime soon... We set up tent between massive boulders and locked down the hatches and sat through a pretty decent T-Storm.

rrYTLEu.png

After 3 hours of rain and T-booms the temp dropped ~15 degrees burning out the fuel of the storm and we packed up and hiked up into the clouds of Porcupine Pass.
YJHr7fA.png
gXPe2cq.png
0TereVV.png

The clouds started to lift as we headed toward Tungsten Pass. It looked like the Scottish highlands, loved every second of the moody scene we waltzed through.
WWHuQZ8.png

CrtKOfh.png

Sun came fast. A new artist rotated into our visual forefront.
gn0ucMW.png

Rock hopping over streams.
a4qLOtd.png
F0Cdk9h.png

Tungsten Pass
j3foReL.png

Here is where we were trying to figure out the next time we can come to this range vacation-wise.
TyuEJvB.png

Started heading for an unnamed lake at the base of Mt. Powell, these fellas kept me entertained all evening. Watching them parade around.
UWvQpOF.png

wj9FguJ.png

Camp is off to the right behind those rocks/berm
gJlT3ep.png

Stampede!!!
WxBtiwZ.png

Posting this TR makes me want winter to be over already, even though it literally just started lol
ySwVPOK.png
F3yTyP5.png

Alpenglow
7q2t6rg.png

Love this place.
RQDjLqC.png

DAY 3 | Unnamed Lake > Smith Fork Pass > China Meadows (Out)
14.27 Miles @ 2580 ft. of Elev. Loss

PNhg3Sq.png

Early start this day, wanted to hike out - get some beer and car camp in Flaming Gorge before returning home to Montana the following day.
zX4SJuK.png

GOOD MORNING GLOW.
9PaYxuC.png

Smith Fork Pass
PTEbeVb.png

Cool wall.
XXBrLGv.png

Why the hell do I bother working.
W1KuLEE.png

Red Castle in friendlier lighting.

Amazing place, great trip. Love this website for showing me a new area with endless possibilities. Fantastic all around.

Glad you found the Uintas to be so hospitable. That's a great way to sample them. Such easy terrain to navigate for the most part that the off trail lakes and other places to explore and wander around up there to get away from the crowds are virtually endless when weather and conditions are good.

another amazingly easy part of the Uintas is Henry's Fork, I visited there for the first time last summer and have never seen a trail so level, free of rocks, free of marshy horribleness, etc, could walk for days and days on that

That off-trail pass is one of the best-hidden gems in the Uintas. I've seen it referred to as Onweep Pass several times. I trek up there in 2017 is still one of the best views I've had in the Uintas. It encouraged me to see more of Red Castle from every angle. I returned a few years later and tackled Wilson Peak from Porcupine Pass. If you are back in the Uintas and enjoyed that off-trail pass, I recommend tackling Wilson. Thanks for the trip report!