First DSLR since film - sanity check

Just a heads up, Massdrop has the 6D with lens for $1700 if a couple people join the drop, seems to be a good price.

My Jones List is a Sony A6000 2 lens kit. If your rig is small enough to carry, you get more shots.

My Jones List is a Sony A6000 2 lens kit. If your rig is small enough to carry, you get more shots.

But Art already has a little camera he likes for backpacking and carrying around. If I understand correctly, he's looking for a big one to get higher quality and better lenses for when he's not backpacking.

Art - I tend to think you'd be happier with a 7D II or 80D with the long lens for the extra crop, but with that said, I sure do appreciate the outstanding quality of a full frame camera. I recently picked up a 5D IV and I still have my 6D. I use it more and more for people photography and the buffer speed, burst rate and focusing of my 6D was really annoying me. With that said, I still have it and I've been leaving it on my long-ish 70-200. If you want to borrow it and some Canon glass for a test drive, you are more than welcome.

So here is an update for everyone. I have completed my decision making process and completed my acquisition:

Before, on the left and after on the right.

IMG_5427.jpg

Before and after is not quite right. I am keeping the m4/3 setup because it has treated me well and I will be definitely carrying it on backpack and long hiking trips for reasons that will become evident below.

BEFORE

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 with a 14mm ultrawide lens
- 1# 0oz.
- 45-200 f4 Panasonic long telephoto lens (remember there are conversions of 2x for these m4/3 lenses)

Canon 7D Mark II with a 10-22 f3.5 EF-S USM lens
- 2# 14oz - much heavier
- Canon long telephoto lens 70-200mm EF F4 L IS USM (conversion of 1.6x for aps-c lenses)

Advantages of the new system
- much greater picture quality potential
- much better light gathering capability for astronomical and low light photography
- 10 fps baby! - best Canon SLR for wildlife and action photography
- very advanced AutoFocus system - probably the best in the Canon line - especially for wildlife photography
- clear, bright viewfinder
- larger array of high quality glass available

Disadvantages of the new system
- heavy! 2-3x the weight for each component
- bulky
- more expensive - approx. 2x the cost for the kit

Last edited:
Great choices, Art. Can't wait to see what you capture.

Yo! Art!
I sold the body and 2 lenses to a friend in Houston. My gear was bigger and heavier. It's all good.
The money is burning a hole in my savings account.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk