Finding cool temps in July

JackBurns

My wife has MS and she can't tolerate the heat. I am renting an RV in July. This is to see if an RV will work to get her out and about. Air conditioner, toilet, and shower.
I am asking for suggestions for places with potentially cooler temps that I could get an RV to. Up in the Abajo's might be nice but I don't know if I can get it there. I am worried the Uinta's will be swarming with people.
Ideas?
Jack.

Given the limitations of an RV, I don't think the crowds you'll find in the Uintas will be any worse than pretty much any other high altitude destination that you can get it to. Just head for the mountains, any of them. The Winds are nice too.

Not sure where you want to be, Utah? What size/kind of RV? I have a similar problem, in that I have a small RV and camp with friends who insist on wearing fur coats all the time. I'm always seeking 70 or below, but I have high clearance and a 4x4. If you can provide more info, maybe I can help.

Renting from cruise America. Looks like at 25 footer is the smallest they have in stock. I would love to some day get a pickup and camper. 4x4 with the smallest camper with the luxuriates she needs. But first we have to make sure it will work for her.

Renting from cruise America. Looks like at 25 footer is the smallest they have in stock. I would love to some day get a pickup and camper. 4x4 with the smallest camper with the luxuriates she needs. But first we have to make sure it will work for her.
I rented an rv and took my 80 year old mother up the Oregon coast in early July 2 years ago. The weather was mild and usually sunny. Some places were crowded others surprisingly not. Access for her limited mobility was great.

Anywhere outside Yellowstone on the western side is great. I'm biased because I was raised going there with family who lived in the area every summer. There are tons of great campgrounds all around, and then so many hikes and things around as well. Look into Beaver Creek Campground, Cabin Creek Campground, Rainbow Point, Madison River Campground, Baker's Hole, and more.

Anywhere outside Yellowstone on the western side is great. I'm biased because I was raised going there with family who lived in the area every summer. There are tons of great campgrounds all around, and then so many hikes and things around as well. Look into Beaver Creek Campground, Cabin Creek Campground, Rainbow Point, Madison River Campground, Baker's Hole, and more.
I will start serching.
Thank you.

Edited to agree with Bob below: Idaho - Island Park will be nice and cool.
We were camping (with our RV) in Island Park in July of 2017. It was definitely quite warm and we had to use the RV's air conditioner. Having said that, there are many places to hike nearby that have shade. Island Park also offers access to West Yellowstone.

We would recommend the RV park where we stayed. Very clean and helpful folks there:

Redrock RV Park
Address: 3707 Red Rock Rd, Island Park, ID 83429

Phone: (800) 473-3762

One place I would hit if you decide on the Yellowstone area is Cooke City, out of the NE entrance to the park. It rarely is hot there, but you'll need to be ready for some cold. Go to the Cooke City Chamber of Commerce website for a list of campgrounds and RV parks in the area. Book early. There's also dispersed camping on several of the Forest Service roads. I've seen some big RVs on the Daisy Pass Road east of Cooke City and north of the highway.

Elevation is your friend here. Just look at areas 7000' and up if looking in the SW.

San Juans in SW Colorado would be good.

Dry camping an option or are you looking for RV parks? The Tushars East of Beaver should be open by mid-July(Big Flat or Big John Flat).

July is big time for recreation so crowds will be the norm.

Elevation is your friend here. Just look at areas 7000' and up if looking in the SW.

Dry camping an option or are you looking for RV parks? The Tushars East of Beaver should be open by mid-July(Big Flat or Big John Flat).

The Big Flat snotel is still recording a depth of 59 inches. So won't be melted out for another... month or so? What a crazy winter.

The Big Flat snotel is still recording a depth of 59 inches. So won't be melted out for another... month or so? What a crazy winter.
I might have to go up there and check it out. It's about 50 miles away. Puffer lake is open.

I'm wondering if that road that goes up between Mt Belknap and Delano will even open this year? (Piute Trail)

I haven't spent much time in SW Colorado but have been hankering to do so. We might try to get up into the Abajo's. If that doesn't work out then we can drive east. I have never camped in a RV park. To me that will be the last resort. But as I said in the first I am trying to figure out a way for my wife to camp/explore with me. I am willing to make concessions.
I'm wondering if I can tow my Jeep behind the RV. That would be perfect. Camp then explore without trying to maneuver the RV around.

There are some accessible spots near Telluride, Maybe Priest Lake, about 9600', 75 is the high today.

Here in Siskiyou county in N. California we just had our first day over 90 degrees will be in low 50’s tonight. Zero bugs.

I just got back from a 10-day camping road trip pulling my 24-foot camp trailer and found plenty of cool, high elevation camping in south-central Utah. Temps were perfect and there weren't a lot of people around except for the last camp spot. I started off near Thousand Lake Mountain at 9,400' nestled between Geyser Peak and Hen's Hole Peak. Then I moved to Boulder Mountain at about 8,400' just west of Lower Bown's Reservoir. Two more nights northwest of Bryce Canyon at 8,000', and finally three nights at Big Flat in the Tushar Mountains at about 10,200'. The road past Big John Flat had a locked gate at Poison Creek so I didn't get to summit Mount Belknap, but other than that the snow wasn't an issue anywhere.