fifty mile canyon

Dustin Gent

i want to do this hike this april, along with reflection canyon. I know that historically March-April is month where Powell is at its' lowest level. My main goal is to hike the "narrows". Does anyone know if the canyons are accessible to hiking - or rather at what water level it would be submerged?

The water level of the reservoir will be prime for hiking the narrows of Fiftymile Creek this spring. The low water level each year is usually around mid-April. You should be good to go into mid-May, perhaps later. I'm guessing it will bottom out around 3592' this year which will put the reservoir close to one mile below the subterranean narrows. The narrows run from about 3700' (high water mark) to around 3620'-ish. With the big snowpack, the best parts are likely to disappear by June/July. Everyone should go see this canyon while they can. The rage will be more visceral that way when it's gone again - who knows for how long. It is truly one of my favorite places on earth.

i am always impressed by your photos and trips you go on! Thanks for the info as well! I bet not a lot of people head out there on foot. I will be taking a mountain bike down there, as i doubt a rental would get all the way down HITR - unless an outback would?

You can do the first 50 miles of Hole-in-the-Rock in a car when it's dry and in good shape. It's only the last 7 miles that require HC 4WD. So yeah, a Subaru or any rental would be just fine. Check road conditions with the visitor center first.

the main attraction i want to get to is the alcove (and the slot canyon) that you visited in this thread https://backcountrypost.com/threads/return-to-fiftymile.5243/

hopefully it is accessible by hiking? The water level right now is 3594 right now.

I visited Fifty Mile this past October with water level ~3610'. I missed out on seeing the alcove, but the narrows were accessible. Here's what I saw: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/packrafting-escalante-part-3-fifty-mile-canyon.6599/

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
piper01 Packrafting Escalante, Part 3: Fifty Mile Canyon Backpacking 4
piper01 Packrafting Escalante, Part 2: Davis to Fifty Mile Backpacking 12
Joey Backpacking Glacier - The Mario Story. The Flattop,Fifty Mountain, Granite Park Loop Backpacking 21
Joey Glacier National Park: Piegan Pass, Many Glacier, Ptarmigan Tunnel, Belly River, Fifty Mountain Loop Backpacking 15
Bob 206 mile water trail Trip Planning 0
seekinglost Introducing the Mojave-Sonoran Trail: A NEW 625-mile Winter Thru-Hiking Route Backpacking 4
seekinglost 1000 Mile Nevada Thru Hike on the Basin and Range Trail Trip Reports 14
IlVagabondo Looking for a ~30 mile loop in the Scapegoat/Bob Trip Planning 2
P 9 Mile Trail, Yellowstone Backpacking 3
tropicalwanderer YNP : 8/31-9/7 : Heart Lake to Nine Mile via CDT, South Boundary and Thorofare Trip Planning 9
Stephanie B Behind the Rocks, Ken's Lake Faux Falls, U-Turn Canyon, Seven Mile Canyon, and Dark Angel Hiking & Camping 4
smscheick Packrafting Willow/Davis/50 mile Backpacking 22
fossana Superstitions 8-25 mile hike suggestions Trip Planning 19
DrNed Recommendation for 35-45 Mile Route in the Uintas Trip Planning 7
Born to Hike Windriver 36 mile loop: Skull Lake, Washakie Pass, South Fork Lakes, Lizard Head Trail, The Cirque, Big Sandy Lake Backpacking 6
Tanasi 50 mile trip suggestions for 1st week of August? Trip Planning 19
seekinglost Pinto Valley Wilderness, NV - 3 Day 25 Mile Loop Hike March 2017 Backpacking 6
Outdoor_Fool Yellowstone - 9 Mile Post to South Entrance Backpacking 1
tomcat32 Late May suggestions for 100ish mile backpacking trip Trip Planning 1
V 50+ mile backpacking loop in Escalante? Trip Planning 5
Brian Skibbe 200 mile Yellowstone loop in June. Route advice needed. Trip Planning 15
Udink Nine Mile Canyon XIV: Warrior Ridge Hiking & Camping 4
Udink Nine Mile Canyon XI Hiking & Camping 0
Nick The Emerald Mile General Discussion 50
Scott Chandler A Square 1/2 mile in the Red Cliffs Hiking & Camping 5
klank Documentary: Mile.. Mile & Half Photography 2
Udink Nine Mile Canyon VII: Awesome! Hiking & Camping 5
Udink Nine Mile Canyon VI: Big, Big Sheep Hiking & Camping 0
IntrepidXJ Nine Mile Canyon Tour Hiking & Camping 4
Udink Nine Mile Canyon V Hiking & Camping 5
Udink Nine Mile Canyon IV Hiking & Camping 2
mtthwlw 25 mile backpacking trip ideas needed Trip Planning 8
Ben Sawtooths, 68 mile loop, August Backpacking 32
BrendanLB Coyote gulch via 40 mile ridge road Trip Planning 17
John Fowler Entering Forty Mile Gulch General Discussion 7
Udink Nine Mile the Third Hiking & Camping 8
Scott Chandler Egypt TH south to 25 Mile? Trip Planning 10
Udink Nine Mile Canyon, Round Two Hiking & Camping 2
Udink Nine Mile Canyon Hiking & Camping 6
steve Mile Mile and a Half General Discussion 31
IntrepidXJ Fall in Nine Mile Canyon Hiking & Camping 3
Blake Merrell HELP! Need ideas for 50 mile routes in the Uintas Trip Planning 14
Nick Forty Mile & Willow Gulch Backpacking 6
Antlerking Nine Mile Photography 2
Duke Five Mile Gulch Canyoneering 2
L Stevens Canyon - Baker Trail water availability Trip Planning 7
J Reflection Canyon Trip Planning 4
fossana Found: prescription glasses near the top of the Flipoff Canyon approach General Discussion 5
Spud Salt Creek Canyon question Trip Planning 11
B Buckskin gulch/Pariah canyon Carpool Trip Planning 0