Favorite Packs?

Homologate

I have around 8 packs, I think, but thinking about updating again. I’ve done most of my hiking with my Exos 48 and the model with the hip belt. It’s done a lot now and been repaired under warranty. There’s a lot of cottage brands available over in the US which are really good. I’ve definitely overloaded my Exos in the past. Great pack though.

Interested in opinions on packs of around 50 liters or so?

at that size I'm extremely partial to my Cold Cold World Chernobyl, although I mostly gave it to my son and now use the larger Chaos, which I love because everything goes inside easily and I don't need to strap any crap to the outside of my pack-- which on bushwhacky or canyon trips always seems to end with lost or damaged gear.

I also have a Valdez which has been my daypack for more than 20 years and despite a few minor repairs looks like it might outlast me

I swear by Zpacks - I've had my Arc Blast for years and it is still going strong. I'm decidedly not gentle with my gear, so it is finally starting to show its age. I've gotten my money's worth many, many times over though. I'll probably get the newer Arc Haul at some point in the next couple years - a buddy of mine got one last year and they look as good as ever, if not slightly improved.

Plenty of other good options out there though. I'd love to try one of the new Durston packs - purely based on how much I've loved the new tents - but I'd need to see more of them in "the wild". Gossamer Gear, ULA, and HMG packs seem to have really loyal followings, too.

I recently went through this exercise. I have a 12 year old Deuter ACT Zero 50+15 that has been great, especially for it's price point compared to many UL options. It'll need replacing unless I decide that I'm getting too old for this first. Carries at 30+ lbs *comfortably* (about the total weight I end up carrying for shoulder season weather). I haven't found UL options that are nearly as comfortable and likely as durable. For lighter summer loads, they would be fine.

The ULA Circuit is a good pack, loved by many. About 1lb lighter than my Deuter. Just couldn't get it to fit right on me. Cost me to return it after a month of trying it. One of the problems for the Buy-before-you-try business model. Also tried the Seek Outside Gila a friend had. Great pack, very comfortable with 30 lbs. But, pricey and about the same weight as the Deuter. Superior Wilderness Designs Long Haul 50 is another fine, popular, long lead-time, expensive pack. It's about a pound less than the Deuter. Great floating hip belt option. Close to $400 all-in. Big decision: is it worth saving 1 lb (3-5% of the total starting and end weights? The Granite Gear Crown 3 is a nice and inexpensive option. I liked how it carried. But much lighter, less durable material and (all-in, minus the extra stay) was less than 8 oz lighter than the Deuter. I ended up returning it to REI.

I've been happy with my Hyperlite pack, but wanted to try something else and bought a ULA Circuit Ultra. Broke the strap on the harness on my second day with it. Sending it back to get it fixed.

Last edited:
I have a black Hyperlite Southwest 55. It's comfortable, but the bottom and pockets in particular have not held up well to sandstone abrasion from Steve Allen type routes. I have been looking into other options for a future replacement.

I picked up a Gorilla 50 from Gossamer Gear several years ago and have really enjoyed it so far on trips where ~30 lbs or less is all you're lugging around. Its slim design complicates things a bit if you're using a bear canister, but if you're willing to use the expandable back pouch for some things you'd normally keep inside a pack that's less of a problem. To me, the comfortable fit is worth it, though I've only been in that scenario for a two-night trip in RMNP.

It was plenty accommodating enough on a recent 5 day trip in the Winds, and there was enough room in both my ursack and the Gorilla for at least another 2 days worth of food. I even had rudimentary fishing gear with me on that one.

It also took a pretty decent slide-tumble down rock in Grand Staircase last spring and emerged almost completely unscathed. So far, so bueno on the durability!

Granite gear latitude vapor. Been using them for 20+ years

Granite gear latitude vapor. Been using them for 20+ years
Another vote for Granite Gear. Changed the game for me when I switched over from Osprey. Lightweight, comfortable, and very durable. I use the Crown, which may be slightly larger than you're looking for.

Reactions: Bob
I swear by Zpacks - I've had my Arc Blast for years and it is still going strong. I'm decidedly not gentle with my gear, so it is finally starting to show its age. I've gotten my money's worth many, many times over though. I'll probably get the newer Arc Haul at some point in the next couple years - a buddy of mine got one last year and they look as good as ever, if not slightly improved.

Plenty of other good options out there though. I'd love to try one of the new Durston packs - purely based on how much I've loved the new tents - but I'd need to see more of them in "the wild". Gossamer Gear, ULA, and HMG packs seem to have really loyal followings, too.
Interesting to hear your positive experience about zpacks; my impression was that their stuff was generally light-weight but not as durable (for the type of off-trail travel that you often do).

We chatted with an experienced hiker in the Winds who had one of the Durston packs. It was coming apart at the hip belt and he was not pleased (since it was new)... he even mentioned that he was jealous of my very-old-and-beaten-up ULA Circuit that I was using on that trip

Another vote for Granite Gear. Changed the game for me when I switched over from Osprey. Lightweight, comfortable, and very durable. I use the Crown, which may be slightly larger than you're looking for.
Cant beat the weight and still carry 40lbs comfortably in my book. I prefer the front loader style....which you cant find in new packs. Replaced my first GG last year after 15 years, found a new old stock on ebay....

Back