Favorite food in the woods

lgpjr49

I'm trying to get an idea of what everyone loves to eat on the trails for my first weekend trip coming up. What are y'all's favorite meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

Dorittos. 150 cal/ounce, infinite lifespan, plenty of salt, and they don't take up space if you're OK smashing them.

Found bacon jerky (160 cal/oz) at Big Lots last year. Bought every single package they had in stock.

Instant mashed potatoes (110-120 cal/oz) are always a winner. No cooking required. Although you're totally fine to buy off-brands for most products, Idahoan mashed potatoes stand head-and-shoulders above the competition.

Peanut M&Ms are always a good bet, again, at 150ish cal/oz

And if you're the beer type, check out Pats Backcountry Beverages.

Reactions: Ben
A Granny Smith apple and fav lunch: croissant with pepperoni, cucumber, and jalapeño cream cheese.

For breakfast dutch oven biscuits, eggs over medium, bacon, cowboy taters, and pancakes with syrup from the best of New Hampshire, not Vermont, Sugarbushes.

For lunch gotta love tuna melts and tomato soup.

Dinner unequivocally would be bison tenderloin medium rare, carmelized onions, cowboy taters, golden trout with bernaise, generous garden salad with ranch dressing, corn, and baguette.

Gotta love good horses.

In all seriousness when I day hike I like taking good fruit, kettle chips, cliff bars, and fixings for an awesome sammich. OR pick the sammich up at Creekside Market& Deli if I'm headed North or at the Taylor Creek Exxon heading West out of Dubois.

Sometimes you also have to have pie. My second favorite has South Absaroka Rhubarb and Strawberry.

Burp. Excuse me.

If I am backpacking my favorites are Packit Gourmet. Cheeseburger Wraps and Big Easy Gumbo are my two I bring on 90% of trips. Instant grits and precooked bacon is good for breakfast.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
fossana Favorite map resources General Discussion 17
forest dweller Favorite backpacking foods...convenient, easy, delicious, nutritious? General Discussion 20
Ellen What are your favorite spots to hike and camp in December? Trip Planning 10
montanaclimber Americans: where was your favorite international backpacking trip? Trip Planning 25
Mikjik86 Favorite location with no cell phone service General Discussion 56
U Favorite sites in Glacier in North Fork, Lake McDonald or Cole/Nyack? Looking at mid july Trip Planning 2
U Favorite Yellowstone Gallatin Mtn Area Campsite? Looking at WD5, WE7 and that area Trip Planning 5
J Three of my Favorite Things: Hiko Springs, NV. Narrows, peaks, petroglyph hike Hiking & Camping 0
Strawsome Favorite 2-3 day backpacking trip. Trip Planning 8
Parma Favorite Maze Campsites General Discussion 1
D Greetings from Missouri! What are your favorite Hikes in the Sawtooths? Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
Strawsome What is your favorite hike in the Escalante/Hole in the rock road area? General Discussion 6
RussRDH Returning to my favorite past-time Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Nick Album Your favorite shots from 2015 Photography 126
DrNed Your Most Important or Favorite Wilderness Skill General Discussion 42
Nick Album Your favorite shots of 2014 Photography 49
Parma New Favorite Toy General Discussion 2
DrNed Favorite Places To Explore While Floating Labyrinth Trip Planning 38
steve Where are your favorite primitive camping spots near Capitol Reef/Torrey? General Discussion 6
IntrepidXJ My Ten Favorite Photos of 2013 Photography 0
Nick Album Your favorite shots of 2013 Photography 47
Nick Favorite Trips of 2012 General Discussion 9
Dan What's your favorite recipe for cooking backcountry fish? General Discussion 15
Seldom Seen Anderson Favorite Books General Discussion 21
Deadeye008 What's your favorite backcountry lens? Photography 16
forest dweller I have tons of backpacking food past it's expired by date... General Discussion 10
U Food-safe glue? Gear 2
Gew What food is this? General Discussion 6
AnneMarieO Food protection in SE Utah? General Discussion 2
kwc FOOD!! Photography 11
Rockskipper Maybe it was the BBQ sauce (guy survives 3 weeks w/ no food or water after getting lost) General Discussion 0
Miya Thanksgiving, with a Tree Named Joshua and Food Poisoning Hiking & Camping 42
ramblinman Food Fight: Article in the New Yorker about the Hell's Backbone Grill in Boulder, UT General Discussion 7
T RMNP - food assistance Trip Planning 25
K Food storage in Southern Utah General Discussion 5
V Weight of food for a trip? Trip Planning 14
P Storing food above treeline General Discussion 10
V Bear Proof Food Storage - Ursack Trip Planning 43
Perry Uinta Highline Trail: Food and Bears. General Discussion 39
swmalone Gear Review Excalibur Food Dehyrdrator Gear Reviews 1
Mike Jones Lets talk food Options General Discussion 2
Dirkules Multi-day hike: questions on tent/food? Gear 19
balzaccom NPS=Bad Food Service General Discussion 38
12trysomething VIDEO: How I Shop For Backpacking Food General Discussion 0
DrNed Backcountry Food General Discussion 44