Fatality in Zion's Subway

Here's the official update from NPS:

Canyoneering Fatality Victim at Zion National Park Identified
The person who died while canyoneering in Zion National Park has been identified as Yoshio Hosobuchi, 74, of Novato, California. He and his wife attempted to descend the Left Fork of the North Creek, a popular route known as “The Subway” on Tuesday, September 18, 2012. On the last rappel in the canyon, Hosobuchi’s rappel devise jammed and he ended up hanging inverted in the waterfall and was unable to free or upright himself. His wife, who was already on the canyon floor below, was unable to assist him.

A canyoneer from another group that just completed the Subway the same day, called park dispatch at 9:00 p.m. to let them know that there was a couple still behind them. The group had passed the couple earlier in the day and knew that at their current pace, they would probably have to overnight in the canyon. Based off that report, rangers began looking for the overdue couple on Wednesday morning. At 11:45 a.m., a ranger located Mrs. Hosobuchi, who was trying to get out of the canyon to find help. A search and rescue team hiked into the Left Fork and located his body Wednesday evening. Due to approaching darkness, his body was evacuated by helicopter Thursday morning.

Hosobuchi was a retired Neurosurgeon. He is survived by his wife and three children. Over the last few years he and his wife have been traveling and completing a “bucket list”, which included completing the Subway. Last year he successfully hiked Kilimanjaro.

The Hosobuchi’s were relatively new to canyoneering. Their only experience had been an introductory course and completing a trip through Zion National Park’s Keyhole Canyon. Unfortunately they hadn’t mastered route finding and might not have had all the skills necessary to get out of trouble while rappelling. Without looking at the route guidance they brought, the couple chose to an anchor that forced them to rappel down the waterfall rather utilize the anchor listed in the route description. Rappelling in a watercourse increases the difficulty and may have contributed to Hosobuchi’s death. Based on the increased difficulty of the rappel, they might not have had all the skills necessary to get out of trouble while rappelling.

Zion Superintendent Jock Whitworth commented, “such a tragic event and one I think most of us can relate to. Many of us have “bucket lists”- things we dream of doing before we die. However, many of these are often risky or require a skill level that we do not have. It is so sad that something on this gentleman’s bucket list contributed to the tragic loss of his life.”

Awful!! So sad. My heart aches for his wife.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

More detailed information on how things went wrong from today's NPS morning report:

http://home.nps.gov/morningreport/

On Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 park rangers determined that Yoshio Hosobuchi, age 74, had died while descending the Left Fork of the North Creek, a popular canyoneering route known as The Subway. Rangers began to look for Hosobuchi and his wife, based on a report from another hiker who was concerned the couple might be caught by darkness. Rangers made contact with Hosobuchi’s wife on the trail who reported Hosobuchi had flipped upside down while rappelling the previous evening and she had been unable to free him. The couple was at the last obstacle of the technical portion of the canyon, a 15-foot rappel, and chose to use an anchor different from the one listed in the route description. The anchor they chose increased the difficulty of the rappel as the location is overhung, free-hanging and in an active waterfall. Hosobuchi’s wife completed the rappel first. Hosobuchi was using a Blue Water VT below his rappel device and attached to his leg loop as a backup. Hosobuchi began his rappel when he flipped upside down, possibly due to the weight of his pack. It appears that when Hosobuchi inverted, the VT slid into the rappel device and jammed it. Due to the overhung and free-hanging nature of the location, Hosobuchi had no leverage to assist in righting himself even after he dropped his pack and his wife pulled on the rope to attempt to move him sideways, towards a wall. Hosobuchi then attempted to free himself by cutting the waist belt of his harness. When he cut through the waist belt, the leg loops of his harness slid down and caught around his ankles and canyoneering boots. Hosobuchi was now hanging upside down from his ankles in an active waterfall approximately 6 feet off the ground. Hosobuchi’s wife repeatedly attempted to pull him free from his harness by pulling on his hands, but was unable to free him from the harness before leaving him to seek help. Rangers reached Hosobuchi in the late afternoon of September 19 and confirmed that he had not survived. A helicopter from the Grand Canyon recovered his body the following morning. Rangers worked closely with Washington County Sheriff’s office and the local medical examiner on the investigation.

OMG, how tragic! My heart aches for his wife. It just goes without saying that even in places that seem "safe", they really aren't. I think it's in this month's Backpacker that most accidents happen when people are doing something they think is not terribly risky because they let down their guard. Aron Ralston's Blue John Canyon trip was supposed to be a quick side jaunt before a 100 mile mountain bike ride as he trained for climbing Denali. Mr. Hosobuchi had been to Kilimanjaro. I had my own near-death experience in Capitol Reef-I hiked to the top of the cliff on the Cassidy Arch trail and had lunch in a protected alcove. I was wearing a wide brimmed hat pulled way down for sun protection and wasn't aware it limited my vision to about 4 ft in front of me. As I left the alcove to hike back I didn't realize I was heading in the wrong direction. I hiked up a short incline and instead of seeing the flat top of the cliff I expected I saw a thousand foot drop of nothingness stretching before me. I was completely disoriented and had no idea how I'd got there. Obviously I didn't take that last final step, but it seared in me how easy it is for something to go wrong. I ran the other way back to where I was supposed to be and realized how complacent I'd gotten while just enjoying the scenery. As I hiked back my senses were totally heightened and I noticed a long crack in the cliff top that I'd blithely sauntered by earlier. I went over to look at it and saw it was a crevasse that dropped about 200 feet-something else I'd narrowly missed. When you're scared you're aware of everything, and suddenly I was. And much less accident prone as a result.

I completely agree about preferring to go out doing something on my bucket list than lingering in a nursing home. I just don't want to happen while I've still got so much living to do!