Fat Man's Misery -- 9/14/12

lostlandscapes

rope mule
September. Also known as Primetime in Zion National Park. Nick, Bill, neiloro and I kicked off a three day weekend of canyoneering in and around Zion with Fat Man's Misery. After a late night around the campfire and the typically fitful night of "sleep" in Watchman Campground, the bones were slow to creak awake from our abbreviated slumber. Still, we beat the sun to the trailhead, which greeted us with an ethereal pre-dawn chill--made all the more authentic by someone's improperly sealed water vessel leaking a liter of icy H20 onto the padding of my backpack. If I wasn't awake before, I was now.

A bad omen? Was the day doomed? Not in the least. After a fast-paced hustle up Checkerboard Canyon, things heated up quickly. At the saddle just west of the Mesa we were greeted cordially by the sun and a gloriously sweeping view south of the Parunuweap drainage. After another hour or so of dipping easterly in and out of several drainages, we reached the head of Fat Man's. What followed was a mesmerizing display of kaleidoscopic perfection. Every new turn greeted us with a fun, watery obstacle; every subsequent twist presented us with an even more dazzling union of shape and light.

There is certainly nothing miserable about this blissfully radiant canyon.

View larger map.
For more detail and photos, see @Nick's fine trip report here.

And now, please enjoy the video!

Featured Image for Home Page:
slide.jpg

Nicely done! I like the vertical panning.... It looked like a couple of natural bridges in the narrows ?????

Nah, the contested nature of Parunuweap has always turned me off. I was always tempted to backpack it. I heard the ranch that includes most of the canyon has changed hands recently. I hope the new owners will create a conservation easement. Maybe there is one now that I don't know about. I HAVE been on the rim above Checkerboard a couple of times....

I just read your trip report Nick. There ARE a couple of bridges. Sweet!

I love fatmans! One of my favorite. When you overnight this one let me knowq

That's a really cool video, Tim! :)
These inner landscapes looking absolutely beautiful, especially
the nice portions of corkscrew slot and water reflections.​

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Ross Anyone want to do East Fork Fat Man's Misery-Barracks-Labyrinth Falls Oct 15 (tues) Trip Planning 0
Tyler Fat Man's Misery teammates needed next weekend Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Howells Outdoors Fat Man's Misery - 4/6/2013 Canyoneering 12
Howells Outdoors Fat Man's Misery (5.2012) Canyoneering 2
Nick Fat Man's Misery, Zion Canyoneering 28
ram Fat Man's Joy 12-25-18 Canyoneering 4
McKee80 Shenandoah - Old Fat Guy in a Swimming Hole Backpacking 6
Ross Invite Boundary/Kolob/Narrows & East Fork Fat Man’s/Labyrinth Falls (Oct) Meet Up (Members Only) 4
Bob Fat Bike / Snowshoe Race Volunteering General Discussion 2
hatchcanyon The Sphinx (aka Fat Mama) Photography 0
Bill Fat Mans Misery 5.2013 Canyoneering 3
Bill Fat Mans Misery 9.2012 Canyoneering 4
Nick Fat Foot General Discussion 29
The Trout Whisperer A wise man just asked about my cuisine in th backcountry… General Discussion 41
Perry Holy Crap! Cougar Stalks Man on Local Trail General Discussion 14
Parma American man first to solo across Antarctica unaided General Discussion 21
Rockskipper Man wades into Katmai bear feeding zone, takes a selfie General Discussion 2
Perry Wow! Another Impressive Feat: Man Climbs Colorado's 100 Highest Peaks. Nonstop General Discussion 2
andyjaggy Missing Uinta Man Found General Discussion 0
Mike Jones Bivy or One Man Tent Gear 25
IntrepidXJ The Rain Man Site Hiking & Camping 2
westerner54 Government Trail to Big Man Pictographs, Grand Gulch Utah Backpacking 3
hatchcanyon Neanderthal Man - or so! Everything Else 4
gnwatts Stop THE MAN redux..... General Discussion 6
Duke My "Poor Man's L" Lens Photography 9
Nick Dog saves man, man eats dog General Discussion 6
gnwatts Fight the MAN! Labyrinth Canyon........ General Discussion 3
Howells Outdoors Mountain Man Captured General Discussion 4
IntrepidXJ Falling Man to Dante's View Hiking & Camping 4
Seldom Seen Anderson Little Man Site Everything Else 11
Archbishop Lazy man's trip report. Hiking & Camping 2
IntrepidXJ Big Man Panel & Lower Comb Wash Hiking & Camping 1
R Getting to All American Man Trip Planning 3
R Salt Creek - All American Man Trip Planning 28
Howells Outdoors Not Miserable in Misery Canyon Canyoneering 5
Ross Misery Canyon just east of Zion - west or east fork? Trip Planning 5
I Misery Canyon - next week (wetsuits?) Trip Planning 5
I Zion Trip Planning: Misery Canyon --> The Barracks --> West Rim Trip Planning 5
Nick Misery Canyoneering 19
Ross Invite Pine Creek, Misery Canyon or The Subway (Zion area) Meet Up (Members Only) 1
Ross Trip partners for south-west Utah (Pine Creek,Misery,Bull Valley etc) Trip Planning 0