Fat Man's Misery - 4/6/2013

Howells Outdoors

Adventure is my middle name...actually it's Keith.
So, we (@stephenH, myself and a few others) had planned on going for the Backcountrypost Fest, but with it semi being canceled with @nick's knee, we decided to save the gas money and stick closer to home. We figured we'd find out if Mother Nature thought we were fat, I think we faired just fine!

We met up at Zion Outfitters to get a few supplies from JamesM and then we took off, a bit later than anticipated. They might blame me for showing up late, but that's not what I say happened.

Gorgeous morning in Zion! Then when we finally got over onto the backside, looking at Parunaweep, it only got more beautiful!
IMG_6557.jpg
Fat Man's itself had changed alot since I was in there last year. Where there was deep potholes last time there where none this time. Where there was sandy spots in the slots were now deep potholes. Amazing how much it had changed in that year.
IMG_6595.jpgIMG_6640.jpg

Now one thing that I really noticed was the webbing and quicklink strung on every log and tree throughout the canyon, on every small 5 ft. downclimb. Needless to say I took most of it down.

The sulfer in the lower grotto section of Fat Man's was really pumping out. It stunk to high heaven. Sadly I am not very well versed in photography so I couldn't get any real amazing shots of the pools in there. They were awesome!

I just love this canyon, the hke out is brutal, but one of my favorte in the Zion area. The Parunaweep is amazing!

Exitpano.jpgGroupinParunaweep.jpgIMG_6523.jpgIMG_6557.jpgIMG_6563.jpgIMG_6583.jpgIMG_6595.jpgIMG_6597.jpgIMG_6615.jpgIMG_6619.jpgIMG_6625.jpgIMG_6627.jpgIMG_6640.jpgIMG_6644.jpgIMG_6649.jpgIMG_6653.jpgIMG_6668.jpgIMG_6698.jpgIMG_6699.jpgIMG_6711.jpgIMG_6713.jpgIMG_6724.jpgIMG_6745.jpgIMG_6752.jpgIMG_6804.jpgIMG_6809.jpgIMG_6830.jpgIMG_6832.jpgIMG_6834.jpgIMG_6840.jpgIMG_6879.jpgIMG_6883.jpgIMG_6884.jpgParunarama.jpgPaulinParunaweep.jpgRedwhiteblue.jpgToadstool.jpgToadstool2.jpgTomInSpring.jpgTwoToads.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

I was gonna take a few friends in a few weeks for an overnight trips, but one of them is in the same knee state as you so we're going easier places.

Yeah, that would be a tough one but at least it's not really tough in a technical way. I'm not nearly as concerned about mileage as I am about weird, awkward footing and stuff. And of course I think that each trip I go on will be the one that everything just falls into place and works right again... we will see...

You (or anyone else) wouldn't happen to know anything about going below Labirynth Falls?

I don't know much. Just that it's off limits and there are a couple of average looking ruins down there. I think the real reason it's closed off is A. the fact that it's blocked off by a lot of private property making access to the public difficult and B. the whole 'scientific control' thing. The same reason they won't let me into Jasper Canyon in The Maze. They want to have a place that is untouched so that they can compare impacts in other areas to the unspoiled area. I have mixed feelings about this approach. :mad:

Awesome man! I'm thinking about doing it overnight style next month. :)

I don't mean to hijack MTN_DUDE's cool report, but... if you are going backpacking through the Barracks be advised that the boulder obstacle near the jct with Poverty Wash has evidently gotten much worse in the last few years. The advised route is now though a short bypass on the south side of the river which is not obvious at first.

- Jamal

My uncle finally got the video done...apparently we like to fall?