Fans of GoLite gear

What a cheesy name for a gear company. So sad that the GoLite name died too.
Yeah, it is a terrible name. Wish he could have kept GoLite somehow, or at least come up with something better.

What a cheesy name for a gear company. So sad that the GoLite name died too.

They have that nice 7oz poncho. After seeing you use it in the Winds years ago, I have one myself. Still like it alright.

I think you should try their umbrella. Because why wouldn't you hike with an umbrella?! They should have made a way to attach it to your pack so you could really become a lightning rod in the high country.

http://mytrailco.com/collections/accessories/products/chrome-umbrella

View attachment 45139

Ask @lostlandscapes! He had one to help with the heat while we were in the Grand Canyon. I don't really have a problem with heat, but he does for sure. Maybe it helped?

Dang, I wanted a closeup to go with his sweet Subway dance gif. I can't tease him for carrying one of those in the GC, of course, given his heat issues. But picturing someone packing that thing through a big storm like the ones we got between Elbow and Lower Jean just cracks me up. :D

Hypnotic, isn't it? Gimme 'dat sub!
doing-the-subway-dance-gif.5080

I actually emailed them a while back to get some information. Basically they have taken all the GoLite products (Same Founder) and placed the new logo and name on them. I give them only a couple years before they see the same dip in sales and things get sour. I spent a little time reading into their process for gaining capital to fund the launch and it seemed a little desperate. Hope it works out for them!

I feel the GoLite strategy of opening the brick and mortar locations didn't help things, so it's possible by not doing that, they could do better now. Although the name and logo tells me otherwise.

I feel the GoLite strategy of opening the brick and mortar locations didn't help things, so it's possible by not doing that, they could do better now. Although the name and logo tells me otherwise.
They're planning to open brick and mortar stores again.

Man, if I didn't actually have to carry the damn thing I'd take that umbrella everywhere. I tried to rig it up DIY style to my shoulder strap so I could go hands-free with it but it just doesn't work with my current HMG pack. Not that I would ever carry one of those things in a thunderstorm, but this has me curious - would holding an umbrella make you any more prone to lightning than all of the metal already in your pack and/or in your hiking poles? And then that begs a further question - if so, does putting all of that stuff inside your pack actually improve your odds at all of staying char-free?

P.S. Once Ray Jardine began publishing his ultralight books in the later 90s the PCT thru-hiking community really popularized his umbrella usage. Seems like a lot of folks these days carry them through the southern 700 miles of California desert. Met some guys in the Winds last summer that were carrying them on a thru-hike of the Continental Divide Trail, and they didn't have great things to say about their ability to hold up to strong winds. But like @slc_dan said above, you can't really beat that 7oz poncho. One of my oldest pieces of gear and I still use it to this day for the heavy rain days.

Last edited:
Dang, I wanted a closeup to go with his sweet Subway dance gif. I can't tease him for carrying one of those in the GC, of course, given his heat issues. But picturing someone packing that thing through a big storm like the ones we got between Elbow and Lower Jean just cracks me up. :D

Hypnotic, isn't it? Gimme 'dat sub!
doing-the-subway-dance-gif.5080

I just noticed for the first time the sandwich artist getting her groove on too. GIF is even better now.

I own more than my fair share of Go Lite gear....Love it. However, when the founder started emailing me basically asking for money (investment cash), I unsubscribed and have no interest ( this after getting an email once or twice a week for the last 10 months ) If he was so committed, he would have kept GL above water and it would still be producing. Or filed chapter 11 or 9 where he could have continued to manufacture gear while paying back his investors.

I've seen people rig an umbrella to their pack for rain storms. It actually doesn't do too bad keeping you and your pack dry, and you don't get sweaty like you do wearing a rain jacket