Family Meander Canyon float trip, slow, fun and hot

gnwatts

It has been a pretty difficult time for my extended family lately, so someone had the great idea to have a float trip down the Colorado. This was going to be my 11th trip down Meander Canyon, or maybe the 12th or 13th. I can't remember. The only time that worked for everyone was the 1st of August. I knew it would be HOT, and it was.
The high during the day was between 100 and 105 degrees, night in the low 80's. We rented 4 canoes, with T-cats, which connected 2 canoes together with a platform in between. An awesome invention, as you could stand in the canoe, and better yet use it as a diving platform.

We only made it 24 miles in 5 days. Which might be a record.
At home in Carbondale:

At the Potash boat ramp:

We put my boat in between the canoes. We never paddled, just drank lot's of beer and swam.

Our 1st camp was at Petrified Wood camp at mile marker 37.5. We didn't see any petrified wood:

We spent most of the time in the water:

The big jump:

Tex's boat. The only one we saw the whole time:

Off again, destination Little Bridge Canyon at mile marker 30. A rough day.

Little Bridge Canyon. I have camped here twice, both times it was heaven on earth. This time it was living hell. The worst mosquitoes I have ever seen, they were relentless. We had planned to stay here 2 days and hike Little Bridge Canyon, but we left early the next day.

Another heavenly uneventful day:

Our last spot was better, a lot better, at Upper Lathrop Ledges at mile 24, which we had to ourselves. We spent 2 days here. Just shy of halfway to the Confluence, about a mile from Lathrop Canyon. It is a huge spot, ample room for well spaced tents, and expansive rock to hang out on:

Airport Tower:

Soon after arriving, we found Nirvana. Between to large slabs of rock was a cave like alcove that was at least 20 degrees cooler. So we moved the coolers and the kitchen in and relaxed in here when we weren't swimming:

We had a great time.
As a wise once said, "That's all folks"

I'm going to try and take my kids on this trip spring, or fall 2020. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing, that looks sooooo relaxing. Glad you all found Nirvana in the cave like alcove.
How does the canoe logistics work at the end? Does Tex pick up the canoes and bring everyone back again?

I had a vague memory we had camped at the Ledges camp spot on our 1st trip ever in 2006. Different times, our son was 14, we had no idea what we were doing, ran out of ice around the 3rd day etc. So I looked in the archives and found this shot from 2006, same view as the latest shot, around the same time of year. In 2006 it had rained pretty hard. Interesting that the trees along the river are now gone. I loved that Garuda tent.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Janice Family trip to Grand Teton Memorial Day weekend? Trip Planning 5
wsp_scott Family trip to Grand Teton and Yellowstone Hiking & Camping 15
S Mentasta Mountains, Wrangell St. Elias National Park and Preserve- family backpack Backpacking 1
WasatchWill Seeking Family History in Capitol Reef Backpacking 11
swmalone Bryce Canyon Family Trip Hiking & Camping 10
wsp_scott Yellowstone family trip planning General Discussion 27
TrektheWorld Family Camping Vehicle & Camper with bikes and an HOA Gear 13
J Family hike in the Maze in June? (Canyonlands / Moab) Am I crazy? Trip Planning 5
WasatchWill Family's First Visit to Yellowstone Hiking & Camping 12
Jimmy River Trips in April - Family of 5 Trip Planning 3
swmalone Family Yellowstone Trip August 23-25, 2019 Hiking & Camping 10
pstm13 A Family Trip in the Winds: Big Sandy and the Cirque Backpacking 11
S Yukon River family + puppy canoe trip On The Water 4
toddrparr Easy family backpacking in Big Thicket Preserve, Texas Trip Planning 0
S Nepal Family Trek Hiking & Camping 6
Scott Chandler The Chandler Family Get Together in Glacier 2018: Day 5 Hiking & Camping 1
Scott Chandler The Chandler Family Get Together in Glacier 2018: Days 3 & 4 Hiking & Camping 1
Scott Chandler The Chandler Family Get Together in Glacier 2018: Day 2 Hiking & Camping 7
Scott Chandler The Chandler Family Get Together in Glacier 2018: Day 1 Hiking & Camping 19
Jimmy Baker Lake, Lake Diablo, North Cascades, Olympics Family Adventure Hiking & Camping 8
Ugly Scofield Reservoir- Annual Family Sunbaking Hiking & Camping 3
wabenho Memorial Weekend Family Campout Hiking & Camping 2
S Cedar Mesa- family trip Hiking & Camping 2
S Stillwater Canyon-family trip On The Water 2
S Chilkoot Trail-family trip Backpacking 4
regehr Family trip to Blue John Canyoneering 22
Jackson A Family Dayhike in the GYE Hiking & Camping 3
Blake Merrell KiDdIe CaNyOnEeRiNg - Fin's & Things with the Family Canyoneering 2
D Family-Friendly Backcountry??? Trip Planning 2
boxelderbryan Family Superstitions Backpacking 15
WasatchWill Family/Kid friendly recommendations for Joshua Tree NP Trip Planning 4
WasatchWill Family Backpacking: Return to Ruth Lake Backpacking 0
Blake Merrell Family Backpacking to Ruth Lake Backpacking 3
S Moab/San Rafael Swell Trip advice-family Trip Planning 6
TrektheWorld Planning a family trip to Utah (Park City + more!) Trip Planning 4
WasatchWill Seeking a little help for Fall Break with family in GSENM Trip Planning 4
D Wasatch Front - Early June Family Backpacking Trip Planning 5
WasatchWill Family's First Visit to Goblin Valley Hiking & Camping 2
Upgrayedd Noob with a young family checking in Noobs: Introduce yourself! 7
ogdendude Family hiking nearish Kanab Hiking & Camping 3
Janice Meander vs Stillwater - hiking opportunities? Trip Planning 11
I Meander Canyon - and back Trip Planning 5
gnwatts Meander Canyon 3-24-18 On The Water 18
gnwatts Meander Canyon 2016 On The Water 6
wfinley Meander Canyon - Oct 2015 On The Water 10
gnwatts Once more into Meander Canyon.... On The Water 11
gnwatts Meander Canyon, Colorado River, 9-6-11 On The Water 10
J Reflection Canyon Trip Planning 3
fossana Found: prescription glasses near the top of the Flipoff Canyon approach General Discussion 5
Spud Salt Creek Canyon question Trip Planning 11