Fall colors in Capitol Reef

pixie1339

Desperately Seeking Sandstone
One thing I'd like to check off my to do list this year is to catch the fall colors in Capitol Reef. I want to make sure to catch the cottonwoods in their peak. Since the color change is arriving early this year, I was wondering if anyone has been down there in the last week who can tell me if the colors are starting to change there yet. I'd also be interested to find out if the colors are changing on Boulder Mountain. Perhaps Bob Palin or intuitive cat might know since they live in the vicinity?

Boulder Mountain definitely has color. it started about a week ago and is working it's way down...not full on color yet but soon! especially after the cooler weather & rain that we are supposed to be getting today & tonite (monday the 24th)
i haven't been through the Fremont River corridor in awhile, so not sure how colors are over there.

Boulder Mountain definitely has color. it started about a week ago and is working it's way down...not full on color yet but soon! especially after the cooler weather & rain that we are supposed to be getting today & tonite (monday the 24th)
i haven't been through the Fremont River corridor in awhile, so not sure how colors are over there.

Sweet! I know you drove Highway 12 near Escalante last weekend on your epic road trip. How are the colors shaping up around there?

Just chiming in to say Boulder Mountain is my pick for best fall colors in the entire state. Hopefully you're able to hit them at their peak.

most of the color was just a bit above the highway when i passed through mid last week to get my sweet new offroad tires mounted over in Loa. i gave them a good workout too. i may have to do a roadtrip trip report even though there wasn't a whole lot of hiking (though i did camp at least :))

I've never been to Boulder Mountain in the fall, but I remember Deadeye008 's pics from last year and they looked goooood.

Boulder Mtn. is gorgeous in the Fall. I'm headed there the first weekend in October to chase some Tigers and Brookies. Hopefully there will still be some color left.

These are from last year about this same time of the year(Sept 23rd-25th). The Aspen had just begun to turn. So had the fish! ;)

Perhaps the most colorful part of Boulder Mtn. in the fall...

IMG_9024 by Deadeye008, on Flickr

IMG_9263 by Deadeye008, on Flickr

Untitled by Deadeye008, on Flickr

IMG_9262 by Deadeye008, on Flickr

The full trip report

Boulder Mtn. is gorgeous in the Fall. I'm headed there the first weekend in October to chase some Tigers and Brookies. Hopefully there will still be some color left.

These are from last year about this same time of the year(Sept 23rd-25th). The Aspen had just begun to turn. So had the fish! ;)

Perhaps the most colorful part of Boulder Mtn. in the fall...

Those are some beautiful shots! What lake were you at? I love catching colorful reflections in the water. Any recommendations on where to go to see some nice stands of aspens off the highway?

Those are some beautiful shots! What lake were you at? I love catching colorful reflections in the water. Any recommendations on where to go to see some nice stands of aspens off the highway?

That was Fish Creek Reservoir. It's at the end of a nasty dirt/boulder road though. There is a very well maintained dirt road that runs along the North side of Boulder Mountain that would make for a nice drive and some nice scenery. I've seen paved roads that are rougher than it so you can access it with any vehicle. It offers some great views of Capitol Reef NP also.

Fish Lake is pretty much in full colour, Boulder on its way. The cottonwoods had no colour last week but I'm in Cedar City at the moment so can't update.

the Chriss Lake & Deer Lake trails on the south side along highway 12 head right into the aspens & to lakes that are just below the rim. both are relatively short but with a good amount of elevation gain - plus there is a connector trail between the two.
king's pasture is a good spot as well & easily driven to. I would suggest finding yourself a dixie national forest map that covers the mountain if you want to see where the roads are that are near lakes, etc. it is really the ONLY map around that shows what is up there & is printed by the forest service.
also, pleasant creek runs right next to a campground just off of the highway. there is a small waterfall just below the singletree campground as well.

the color is pretty much on now on the mountain. talked to a local photographer today who was just up there this morning .
it can disappear pretty quickly with a good frost/storm/wind.
cottonwoods right in boulder creek below my home just barely have colored tips on the very top of a few (elevation 6500)

Thanks so much Deadeye008, Bob Palin, and intuitive cat! It sounds like if I want to see the color on Boulder Mountain, I'd better go sooner rather than later, but I'm guessing there's a little more time for the cottonwoods in Capitol Reef. No skin off my nose if I have to go down more than once. I'm totally in love with that part of the state.:)

i was just gazing at the gold bands along the mountain during sunset. even gorgeous from a distance. i guess i should get my own butt up there to get some shots before it's too late.

You can usually get the Dixie NF maps at Fish Lake NF offices in the area. Sometimes the information center in Torrey (junction of 12 & 24) has them, you will probably have to ask as they don't get many and don't always put them out.

You can usually get the Dixie NF maps at Fish Lake NF offices in the area. Sometimes the information center in Torrey (junction of 12 & 24) has them, you will probably have to ask as they don't get many and don't always put them out.

Thanks for the tip! My fiancee and I are going to head down this weekend and visit Fish Lake and Boulder Mountain. I'll try to see if I can get a map while we're down there.

colors are currently outstanding on Boulder Mountain but the lowland cottonwoods still aren't changing much yet.
also of note for anyne heading down for the fall colors this weekend is that the Escalante Arts Festival/ Everett Ruess Days is happening
including a friday Boulder Arts Tour which includes many local artists at various locations around Boulder.
we have over 40 works of art up at Hills & Hollows.