Fall colors in Capitol Reef

The colors around Fish Lake and on Boulder Mountain were fantastic, and the views of Capitol Reef from North Slope Road were stunning! I'm so glad we were able to catch the colors at their peak. Thank you all so much for your help! I got some pretty sweet shots. We did visit Capitol Reef, as well. The cottonwoods there haven't changed much. It will probably be another 3 weeks or so before they're in top form. Damn, looks like I'll have to go back! ;)

i am aiming to catch a fall colors shot of the two cottonwoods in the drainage above zebra slot from my first trip report.
(and hoping there may still be some monsoon season water in that hole so i can get some good reflection shots!)
these:
index.php

i am aiming to catch a fall colors shot of the two cottonwoods in the drainage above zebra slot from my first trip report.
(and hoping there may still be some monsoon season water in that hole so i can get some good reflection shots!)
these:
index.php

That would look so pretty! Make sure you post them if you get the shots you want.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The colors around Fish Lake and on Boulder Mountain were fantastic, and the views of Capitol Reef from North Slope Road were stunning! I'm so glad we were able to catch the colors at their peak. Thank you all so much for your help! I got some pretty sweet shots. We did visit Capitol Reef, as well. The cottonwoods there haven't changed much. It will probably be another 3 weeks or so before they're in top form. Damn, looks like I'll have to go back! ;)

Good to know. I'm headed to Boulder Mtn. this Friday!
fishing-emoticon.gif

Anyone know how things are looking now? When I was in The Needles this weekend the cottonwoods were changing, but not in peak color yet. I'm doing a backpack in Grand Gulch next weekend, so I'm wondering if it would be better to try and hit Capitol Reef this weekend or the first weekend in November.

getting close to cottonwood peak here in Boulder, but not yet. the trees along boulder creek in town are about half color. escalante river and deer creek are popping a little bit quicker and should be full on this coming weekend or soon after.
i've already made two trips to check on those the cottonwoods i want to get the shot of and i'm hoping maybe this weekend they will be turned - got some great water shots after the rains last weekend & plan on doing a combined 3 hike trip report with tons of photos once i get the color shots.

Anyone know how things are looking now? When I was in The Needles this weekend the cottonwoods were changing, but not in peak color yet. I'm doing a backpack in Grand Gulch next weekend, so I'm wondering if it would be better to try and hit Capitol Reef this weekend or the first weekend in November.

i think you'd be ok with your current plan. unless there is a big storm next week, i'd say that the colors will still be n the trees at the beginning of november...though it does tend to get rainy & blustery right around halloween...

i think you'd be ok with your current plan. unless there is a big storm next week, i'd say that the colors will still be n the trees at the beginning of november...though it does tend to get rainy & blustery right around halloween...

Thanks for the update! It seems to me like Halloween tends to be the turning point for the weather in most of Utah. I guess I need to decide if I'd rather see the cottonwoods a little before they've hit their peak or wait and hope that all the leaves haven't been knocked down by storms. Decisions!

Hmm, well I went back again over the weekend and this time saw a lot more green - there are plenty of spectacular trees though. The first time I was going E-W and the sun was shining through the trees so I was probably overwhelmed by the yellow. The cold weather forecast this week will probably convert the rest of the trees to gold.

Hmm, well I went back again over the weekend and this time saw a lot more green - there are plenty of spectacular trees though. The first time I was going E-W and the sun was shining through the trees so I was probably overwhelmed by the yellow. The cold weather forecast this week will probably convert the rest of the trees to gold.

Yeah, the trees weren't quite in peak color, but it was very pretty nonetheless. I hiked Pleasant Creek the first day and the trees there were more yellow than the ones along the river corridor. I did the Rim Overlook/Navajo Knobs the next day. Man, is that an incredible hike! It was neat to see the trees down below with some color.

So, the good news is I'll get to see Capitol Reef in a little more than two weeks (which is why I'm posting instead of working, can't stop dreaming about it :D . The bad news is I'll only have about 24 hours there. Suggestions on a scenic, photogenic hike I could do in an afternoon? Looking primarily to take pics, strenuous is not a problem. Cassidy Arch and Hickman Bridge are ruled out-already know those. Thanks!!

So, the good news is I'll get to see Capitol Reef in a little more than two weeks (which is why I'm posting instead of working, can't stop dreaming about it :D . The bad news is I'll only have about 24 hours there. Suggestions on a scenic, photogenic hike I could do in an afternoon? Looking primarily to take pics, strenuous is not a problem. Cassidy Arch and Hickman Bridge are ruled out-already know those. Thanks!!

How much time will you have to hike with?

Hmmm, probably 3-4 hours since I think the sun will be setting around 5-ish. Does Boulder Mountain have any color left?

Hmmm, probably 3-4 hours since I think the sun will be setting around 5-ish. Does Boulder Mountain have any color left?

Cohab Canyon, the Chimney Rock Loop, or the Golden Throne hike could all be hiked in that amount of time and are very scenic hikes. I listed them in order of my personal preference.:)