Fall Colors 2019

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Jon Carbaugh

Gorgeous! Thanks for starting the update.

Here in SLC, I was up Big Cottonwood Canyon on Friday when it was snowing, there is just the first hint of color coming out. I'm sure by this weekend it will really get going!

wsp_scott

Janice

Wow - gorgeous photos. I especially love the contrast between the gold trees and grey rock. Plus the close-up shot is terrific!

Wanderlust073

Front range is pretty lit. We drove over Guanella Pass, circled back around and drove up from 74 to Idaho Springs via Mt Evans, then over Berthoud Pass to Winter Park area for the night. Tomorrow is Trail Ridge road through the park then Peak to Peak Highway south. Loads of pics to go through at home.

Last edited:

Ugly

Life really is better Here
Front range is pretty lit. We drove over Guanella Pass, circled back around and drove up from 74 to Idaho Springs via Mt Evans, then over Berthoud Pass to Winter Park area for the night. Tomorrow is Trail Ridge road through the park then Peak to Peak Highway south. Loads of pics to go through at home.
Nice.
Was in Estes and RMNP on Wednesday afternoon and the autumn show was definitely picking up speed. It was tons more fun than a day in the office.

ZLmtns

Two from the Gore Range
925 (1).JPG

Grand and Keller Mountain.JPG

Ugly

Life really is better Here
Still a lot of green. I wonder if the snow cover lingering well into June in some of these places delayed the aspens, but the maples are good and bright.
Friday night and Saturday morning a frosted tent and frozen water bottles certainly felt like autumn.
Autumn Primrose 10-20190003.jpg

Autumn Primrose 10-20190028.jpg

Autumn Primrose 10-20190350.jpg

gnwatts

Nancy and I made our fall pilgrimage past Maroon Lake to Crater lake, beautiful color at our favorite spot.

When we went over the hill to Crater Lake we saw smoke. It was getting smokier as we got close to the lake, so we hurried over across the valley. It was pretty windy. There were a few people there when we got there, the flames were not very high but high enough. Eventually our group numbered about 8,, some people were chopping out frozen mud from the creek to place over the embers, using branches to throw dirt in the flames. The wind died down fairly quickly, which was fortuitous. I think it could have been worse. The forest service guy arrived with a couple of shovels and he took over.

After about an hour:

One of the guys fell through a burned log and cut his leg. He was ok though.

All in all an exciting day.

Edit

We saw a guy coming down the trail when we were heading up to Crater Lake, no jacket, in a t-shirt and shorts (it was in the 20's), in a big hurry. The fire was not near any campspots, as they are on the other side of the lake. Hmmmm.

Last edited:

kwc

Some colors from this past weekend (all photos taken by my wife Jackie) ...
Along Flagstaff Lake in Maine
P1070051.JPG

P1070068.JPG

Along the Androscoggin River in New Hampshire
P1060962.JPG

The Carrabassett River in Kingsfield Maine
P1070160.JPG

Cabot Plains Vermont ("up the hill" from the Cabot Creamery)
fullsizeoutput_38da.jpeg

Janice

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Wanderlust073 Photography 68
IntrepidXJ Photography 31
Dan_85 Photography 60
Vegan.Hiker Hiking & Camping 9
pixie1339 Trip Planning 23