Album Fall Colors 2018

Spent a couple of hours last night, most of it hanging out under the trees with my daughter talking about school. She was a sport for the total of 5 mins that the sun shone on us between cold wind and spits of rain. Which is funny because every other day has been bluebird, or blue+ smoke.

Fall Guardsman 9-20180034-proc.jpg

Oncoming rain foot, and the last rays of direct sun we got... However, you can see if the wait was worth it, go to the sunset post.
Fall Guardsman 9-20180054-recipe-sh-small.jpg

Larch trees turning color in the Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness
View attachment 69970View attachment 69971View attachment 69972

Beautiful! Do Larch trees continue to change from yellow to orange needles? Or do the needles drop straight after the yellow color?
I have a yellow/green ("chartreuse") colored Dawn Redwood in my own yard and it goes to Copper Red before the needles drop. Sorry I'm a garden freak, so I love all different kind of trees. We are waiting for the Maples to change colors, they will be yellow, orange and flaming red, I will share pictures in 2 weeks.

Beautiful! Do Larch trees continue to change from yellow to orange needles? Or do the needles drop straight after the yellow color?
I have a yellow/green ("chartreuse") colored Dawn Redwood in my own yard and it goes to Copper Red before the needles drop. Sorry I'm a garden freak, so I love all different kind of trees. We are waiting for the Maples to change colors, they will be yellow, orange and flaming red, I will share pictures in 2 weeks.

My cell phone pictures don't show it all that well, but there are varying shades of yellow to orange on those trees.

9f253a4942b5e2a13b5b406609650deb.jpg

Something from the lowlands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something from the lowlands.

Nice. Out at the bird refuge? I saw the heron shot, get any other good ones?

That ridge over Willard is pretty distinctive. Sometimes on the way back to Cache Valley it would be catching the light just so... but I was never in a place to capture it while flying by at 85 mph...

Good eye! You’re right about that ridge line... very distinctive and rugged. It’s a fascinating view down from the ridge line trail below Willard Peak.

Weren’t too many birds out there today but had fun watching a couple of marsh hawks swooping in the wind. Too far away to get shots though.

The water is very low, low as I can recall. Much of the aquatic plants are exposed making thing look very different for sure. This shot is usually green islands of reeds and blue water. Very interesting nonetheless...

6dff737fd6fdfce6989630461c824fbe.jpg

Last edited:
yeah, I have, and probably still do have family in Brigham, so been out there a few times. That is very dry. Guess it is between migrations, or maybe I read somewhere that lots of fowls are not migrating as much as they used to.

Mid September in Grand Teton's Cascade Canyon provided a nice mix of colors.

5J5A2250A.JPG

5J5A2296.JPG

5J5A2320A.JPG

5J5A2219A.JPG

Back home (Ohio) the Maples are starting to turn but everything else is still green. A lot of leaves are falling already so we may not have a big show of color this year.

5J5A2825A.JPG

Mid September in Grand Teton's Cascade Canyon provided a nice mix of colors.

View attachment 70361

View attachment 70362

View attachment 70364

View attachment 70360

Back home (Ohio) the Maples are starting to turn but everything else is still green. A lot of leaves are falling already so we may not have a big show of color this year.

View attachment 70365

Same "issue" we saw in southern Vermont 3 days ago. The Maple leaves were brown and dry and the leaves were dropping without showing off their stunning Maple Tree Fall Glory. I'm concerned, that it's not going to be a spectacular fall. It's been raining a lot and we won't have an Indian summer like last fall, bummer.....

Suddenly the temperature jumped to 80F today and the Monarchs were everywhere. These are likely the Super Monarchs - living 8 times longer and traveling 10 times further than their parents and grandparents, see Super Monarchs. Probably on their way to Mexico, but who knows.....
Rick captured the Monarchs on the purple flowers - it's a classic Northeastern fall color scheme :

S-Monarch2-PA090329.jpg

S-Monarch1-PA090261.jpg

S-Monarch3-PA090196.jpg