Album Fall Colors 2018

Wanderlust073

It’s that time of year...

Taken while on a dog walk earlier in the week in the natural area park next to our home in Calgary:
P1040506 copy.jpgYesterday, while pruning back the summer growth on a local mtb trail. Yes, that white stuff is snow!-not uncommon here in September, which despite the incursion of arctic air at the moment- is typically gloriously sunny and warm.
P1040520 copy.jpg

One more from the Grand Mesa this evening. I pretty much photograph this location every fall, and this was the earliest I have been up there. http://adventr.co/2018/09/grand-mesa-fall-colors-2018/

Skyway Point 2018
by Randy Langstraat, on Flickr

Sweet! So is this hitting much earlier than normal then? I was thinking of heading to SW Colorado, perhaps the Last Dollar Road and that area the last weekend of September. Think it'll mostly be done by then or still probably worthwhile?

Sweet! So is this hitting much earlier than normal then? I was thinking of heading to SW Colorado, perhaps the Last Dollar Road and that area the last weekend of September. Think it'll mostly be done by then or still probably worthwhile?

Yes, reports are indicating that things are early this year. In some cases, very early. Crested Butte is near peak and so is the Silverton area. However, when I drove past Ridgway on Saturday, the area near Owl Creek Pass was mostly green, but that is usually one of the last places to change colors in the area.

This photo was taken on Saturday overlooking Telluride and it seems like not too much has changed yet. The Last Dollar Road area would be up to the right of the landing strip, but most of it is out of view behind the mountain there.

Telluride

Yes, reports are indicating that things are early this year. In some cases, very early. Crested Butte is near peak and so is the Silverton area. However, when I drove past Ridgway on Saturday, the area near Owl Creek Pass was mostly green, but that is usually one of the last places to change colors in the area.

This photo was taken on Saturday overlooking Telluride and it seems like not too much has changed yet. The Last Dollar Road area would be up to the right of the landing strip, but most of it is out of view behind the mountain there.

Telluride

Very interesting! So what do you think of the prospects for good color next weekend (Sept 28-30)? If it's not pretty close to prime, I'd prefer the desert. But I've also been meaning to get to that area for a long time. I really appreciate your insight.

Very interesting! So what do you think of the prospects for good color next weekend (Sept 28-30)? If it's not pretty close to prime, I'd prefer the desert. But I've also been meaning to get to that area for a long time. I really appreciate your insight.

Honestly, I have no idea? Things are definitely early this year so far. I'd just keep an eye on reports from the area you are wanting to go.

@Nick Here in the Roaring Fork Valley (Glenwood Spgs to Aspen), they're saying peak colors will be this week. Looking at what I can see of the mountains (Sopris, Capitol, the Bells), it looks like it's coming soon. It seems to be way early this year, maybe from the lack of moisture. The scrub oak on the hillsides are already nearing peak and the box elders along the river are bright gold, the cottonwoods are starting to turn. But keep in mind that even after the peak, it's still pretty nice until those autumn winds show up.

Last edited:
The latter half of September is larch color season for the southern part of the Canadian Rockies in Alberta. Last week was generally pretty miserable out- the weather feeling more like early November, but with a forecast window on Sunday afternoon of more decent conditions, we headed west into the mountains. At the trailhead for a favourite easy afternoon hike- the sun was shining, but as we we hit the alpine on our loop around the cirque, we were instead assaulted by a mini blizzard- a reminder of winter's relentless approach, and a confirmation of our upcoming Utah desert plans.
IMGP0307-copy-3.jpg
Fortunately, after enduring 30 minutes of the above- the sun returned and we were able to enjoy the rest of the afternoon in the glory of the golden alpine larch.
IMGP0327-copy-3.jpg
The fall larch foliage is fleeting- once they reach this stage, the first strong wind will strip the fragile needles.
IMGP0335-copy-3.jpg
Most of the snow will likely disappear for a while, other than from the high shaded aspects, but by early November we could be enjoying the first powder turns of the ski season on these slopes:
November skiing
IMGP0357-copy-3.jpg

Last edited:
The latter half of September is larch color season for the southern part of the Canadian Rockies in Alberta. Last week was generally pretty miserable out- the weather feeling more like early November, but with a forecast window on Sunday afternoon of more decent conditions, we headed west into the mountains. At the trailhead for a favourite easy afternoon hike- the sun was shining, but as we we hit the alpine on our loop around the cirque, we were instead assaulted by a mini blizzard- a reminder of winter's relentless approach, and a confirmation of our upcoming Utah desert plans.
View attachment 69588
Fortunately, after enduring 30 minutes of the above- the sun returned and we were able to enjoy the rest of the afternoon in the glory of the golden alpine larch.
View attachment 69589
The fall larch foliage is fleeting- once they reach this stage, the first strong wind will strip the fragile needles.
View attachment 69590
Most of the snow will likely disappear for a while, other than from the high shaded aspects, but by early November we could be enjoying the first powder turns of the ski season on these slopes:
November skiing
View attachment 69591

Dang this is amazing stuff!