Escalante Packrafting

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Trip Reports
Thread starter #1
Last spring a couple friends and I packrafted a 50 mile section of the Escalante River from Harris Wash to Coyote Gulch. The first day we started with a 10 mile hike down Harris Wash to the Escalante River. From there we floated down the river and camped the first night just before Neon Canyon. The next morning we hiked up to the Golden Cathedral in Neon Canyon before continuing down the river. The second day we put in around 20 miles on the river which was a lot of work. The flow was not ideal so we did a lot of paddling trying to position ourselves to avoid to much butt dragging. The third day we did around 20 miles again down to Coyote Gulch. We hiked a short distance up Coyote Gulch and camped the third night under an alcove. The fourth and final day was a short hike out Crack in the Wall. Total distance was around 14 miles hiking and 50 in the packrafts.

Harris Wash.JPG

Hiking down Harris Wash.

BlowupRafts.JPG

Blowing up the rafts at the end of Harris Wash.

Neon.JPG

Golden Cathedral in Neon Canyon.

DorkInAPackraft.JPG

WalkinTheRaft.JPG

We did a bit of this, flow was not ideal.

FloatinAlong.JPG

Scenery got better and better the further down the canyon we traveled.

NotBad.JPG

CoolestPic.JPG

Stevens Arch

ClimbingtoCrackInWall.JPG

Climbing out Crack in the Wall

CrackInWallView.jpg

View from Crack in the Wall

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Trip Reports
Thread starter #3
Larry, we did it the first week of May. We did not get it during peak flow. The gauge said 8-10 ft during the time our trip. It was floatable and fun but I would not do it that low again.

Dave

Broadcaster, formerly "ashergrey"
Trip Reports
One of my dream trips, thanks for sharing.

Laura

freespirittraveler
Trip Reports
Wow, I think I may need to try this. So many adventures to do in this life! Thanks for posting, I am totally inspired. :D