Escalante Natl. Mon. to Bryce N.P. the (unknown) Final Dayhikes April 15-16, 2021

John Morrow

The final installment of my 2021 Utah/Arizona Spring Trip. I departed the San Rafael Swell, leaving my friend David to other Swell summit adventures, and made my way to Escalante Outfitters. Pizza, shower, and cheap tent pad awaited. I love that place. Decided I'd join the living and simply spend both nights camped there in the yard.

April 15 I did a nice loop in the nowhere land between Phipps Wash, the Red Breaks, and Harris Wash from the Sheffield Road. But I really had the Red Pyramid (local name) in mind. I've seen it now for the past ten years and few people report going there. The day turned into a nice triangular loop over dunes and stone.

Destination: The Red Pyramid
by John Morrow, on Flickr

South face route

Darkening skies over 50 Mile Mtn.

back down

moving across

wildflower seed in the sand and stone

great bedding

high dunes

color

April 16: Knowing I need to start driving toward Kanab, I packed up and found an off-the-beaten-path, hike to a highpoint and a great deep canyon view. From the Escalante River TH in town, I west eastward up one canyon draining Big Flat, over to the fabulous rim of Esclante river Canyon, and descended another canyon. Fun empty country walk in an ever increasingly busy Escalante.

Escalante Trailhead start

Upward in canyon

Rim view!

last look to north

On the rim

deepening canyon

I still had time for more walking so I stopped off at the Mossy Cave Trailhead on Hwy 12 in Bryce National Park. From the Fairyland I had twice failed to get to the summit of the Sinking Ship, this time I was smart and made it via the gentle side at the head of Jolley Gulch. A couple pairs of footprints but nobody to be seen. Threatening clouds added to the atmosphere. from the Sinking Ship I ran the ridge over Jolley Gulch to make a loop. Great to be somewhere I had yet to be within Bryce.

Jolley gulch beyond highway

looking back downcanyon

hoodoos!

Boat Mesa and the Fairyland

Last look at hoodooland

late day light

Full photo set describes the route better:

Off to Kanab I was for a rest day before heading to Indian Hollow Campground for the night before our descent into the Grand Canyon

Last edited:
Would love to see more details on the Sinking Ship hike part of your adventure.

Does this help? The mapped Sinking Ship is not the summit viewed from the rim.

Jolley Gulch.JPG

Interesting note on the above map. One can see the stitch line vertical of two quads. The quad to the left is 20' contour interval and 40' contour interval to the right.

Sinking ship on map below and right and Sinking Ship feature 7363 on skyline right. Highest feature to left with timber is possibly 7805':

last look

Last edited:
Nice hikes! We were in the area at the same time. I did Steve Allen's Bighorn Canyon loop on April 14.

b.stark where is YOUR trip report? We love to read about this stuff --especially when we can't get out to do it ourselves. Don't tease us...

Um... my dog ate it. Yeah that's definitely what happened.

Wish I'd have known you guys were there. Would certainly have been up for hikes.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Escalante Natl Mon. Wolverine and Little Death Hollow and overland routes April 22-25, 2018 Backpacking 0
desertvic The Grand Staircase Escalante NM needs you! Meet Up (Members Only) 1
TrailScot Hole-in-the-Rock Road - Escalante General Discussion 11
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
canadug Escalante area exploring Trip Planning 0
TrailScot Escalante Loop via Dry Hollow and Boulder Mail Trail - September 2023 Backpacking 8
Kullaberg63 Suggestions for Escalante east of river, south of Choprock Trip Planning 4
fossana A challenging week on the Escalante Overland Route Backpacking 21
fossana Public comment for revised Grand Staircase Escalante NM management plan (comments open 11 Aug - 9 Nov) General Discussion 11
BJett Part 3 - Tour de Canyon Country. Lower Escalante Loop Hiking & Camping 0
radioradio Sad Cowboy Traverse - A Week in Escalante Backpacking 12
F Upper Escalante River Backpack conditions Trip Planning 6
radioradio Anxious About Escalante Trip Planning 64
regehr Escalante dumpsters Trip Planning 9
regehr potable water in Escalante town? Trip Planning 6
D Fox Canyon Escalante? General Discussion 7
Janice Water questions - Escalante area Trip Planning 38
Duketogo13 BMT- Death Hollow-Escalante Triangle loop Trip Planning 20
Janice Cosmic Ashtray via Wolverine/Little Death Hollow & Escalante River? Trip Planning 16
Duketogo13 Questions about packrafting the Escalante/Lake Powell in September. Need help! Trip Planning 5
priz1234 The Gulch Escalante 4/17-4/18 Backpacking 2
RyanP Conditions (water/bugs) for Escalante/Death Hollow Trip Planning 27
Bob Lost in the Escalante .......... Blast from the Past Backpacking 6
Bob A short Escalante trip end of April Backpacking 5
swmalone Restaurant Suggestions for Escalante or Boulder General Discussion 11
S Packrafting Escalante - FiftyMile Creek and low water level Lake Powell Trip Planning 8
swmalone Camping suggestions for Escalante in May Trip Planning 2
Muddy Waters Stevens, Fold, Escalante River, Fools, Kings Mesa Trip Reports 3
W 9 Days Solo Escalante Loop in October (water advice) - Stevens Canyon, Baker Route over Waterpocket fold, Halls Narrows to Moody Canyons Trip Planning 11
T Status of Traffic - Hole in the rock road - Escalante - September? Trip Planning 2
ramblinman Boulder Creek Day Hike, Escalante National Monument Hiking & Camping 5
M Ideas for 4 nights in Escalante Trip Planning 30
M Non-technical 1-2 night backpacking w dogs and kids - Escalante-ish area in April? Trip Planning 14
A 1st time backpacker in Escalante, UT Trip Planning 13
Stephanie B Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument - Kanab Area Hiking & Camping 2
Titans Permits car camping Grand Staircase Escalante NM? Trip Planning 6
Devin Ashby The Lower Gulch - Escalante (Seeking info on the route) Trip Planning 14
R Escalante River / Calf Creek Falls Current Conditions Trip Planning 10
cmgz Boulder Mail Trail - Escalante Trailhead to Mamie Creek Hiking & Camping 1
W Escalante River Backpacking Trip Planning 12
ADubs Looking for info from anyone who has done the Egypt loop and exited via 25mile wash (Escalante). Trip Planning 3
swmalone Rain, Mud, and Wind....First Trip to Escalante Area Hiking & Camping 16
canadug Current Escalante and Cap Reef Road conditons Trip Planning 17
JDWalters Access to Escalante River/Lake Powell near Cathedral in the Desert Trip Planning 7
regehr Escalante Jan 19 2019 Trip Planning 2
Jazzy Joe Looking for Escalante Area Short Backpacking Suggestions Early Spring Trip Planning 21
Nick Me love me some Escalante!! Backpacking 24
LarryBoy Water source information - Escalante/CRNP area Trip Planning 14
fossana Stephens Canyon Loop, part of Escalante Overland Route or ? Trip Planning 18
Artemus PUBLIC COMMENT - Bears Ears and Grand Staircase Escalante Management Plans General Discussion 19