Escalante dumpsters

regehr

so the other day I posted a question about publicly accessible potable water in the Escalante area and the answers were super useful, so I thought I'd start another quick thread about publicly accessible dumpsters. for example we left camp yesterday morning with some (alas) ant-ridden trash that we didn't really want to carry all the way to SLC.

a nice employee at the Kiva Koffeehouse told us about a couple of these in Boulder:
  • where the Hells Backbone Road hits HW 12 just south of Boulder town
  • in the parking lot for the Anasazi State Park Museum in Boulder town
please feel free to respond with public dumpsters anywhere in southern Utah!!

Fyi. The dumpsters at hwy 12 and the hell's backbone road are NOT FOR PUBLIC USE. Those are the only dumpsters for those that live along the hell's backbone road. We know people that live along that road, and they need that space. Pack it in, pack it out.

I always thought that the availability of dumpsters was an indication of how dirtbag-friendly a community was. For example, Carbondale, CO is the worst, you can't even throw a small bag away at the City Market gas station. Green River and Price, UT the best, open dumpsters everywhere. Moab, moderately bad - hey, maybe I should write a guide to dumpster friendly places.

I've never looked for one..... If I pack it there..... I pack it home to throw away... Dumpster cost $ for someone

Lake many things the broad privatization of sanitation was a really bad move in this country. When you have to directly pay to properly dispose of something some folks just aren't gonna do it. The guts of the entire Interstate Highway System took about a dozen years to complete. A 50 mile update of just the Togwotee Pass area took more than ten years...

I've never looked for one..... If I pack it there..... I pack it home to throw away... Dumpster cost $ for someone
I do this.
Lake many things the broad privatization of sanitation was a really bad move in this country. When you have to directly pay to properly dispose of something some folks just aren't gonna do it.
But I 100% agree w/ this.

so the other day I posted a question about publicly accessible potable water in the Escalante area and the answers were super useful, so I thought I'd start another quick thread about publicly accessible dumpsters. for example we left camp yesterday morning with some (alas) ant-ridden trash that we didn't really want to carry all the way to SLC.

a nice employee at the Kiva Koffeehouse told us about a couple of these in Boulder:
  • where the Hells Backbone Road hits HW 12 just south of Boulder town
  • in the parking lot for the Anasazi State Park Museum in Boulder town
please feel free to respond with public dumpsters anywhere in southern Utah!!
There are about 10 of them in town a block off main on S 500W. They are public

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
desertvic The Grand Staircase Escalante NM needs you! Meet Up (Members Only) 1
TrailScot Hole-in-the-Rock Road - Escalante General Discussion 11
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
canadug Escalante area exploring Trip Planning 0
TrailScot Escalante Loop via Dry Hollow and Boulder Mail Trail - September 2023 Backpacking 8
Kullaberg63 Suggestions for Escalante east of river, south of Choprock Trip Planning 4
fossana A challenging week on the Escalante Overland Route Backpacking 21
fossana Public comment for revised Grand Staircase Escalante NM management plan (comments open 11 Aug - 9 Nov) General Discussion 11
BJett Part 3 - Tour de Canyon Country. Lower Escalante Loop Hiking & Camping 0
radioradio Sad Cowboy Traverse - A Week in Escalante Backpacking 12
F Upper Escalante River Backpack conditions Trip Planning 6
radioradio Anxious About Escalante Trip Planning 64
regehr potable water in Escalante town? Trip Planning 6
D Fox Canyon Escalante? General Discussion 7
Janice Water questions - Escalante area Trip Planning 38
Duketogo13 BMT- Death Hollow-Escalante Triangle loop Trip Planning 20
Janice Cosmic Ashtray via Wolverine/Little Death Hollow & Escalante River? Trip Planning 16
Duketogo13 Questions about packrafting the Escalante/Lake Powell in September. Need help! Trip Planning 5
priz1234 The Gulch Escalante 4/17-4/18 Backpacking 2
RyanP Conditions (water/bugs) for Escalante/Death Hollow Trip Planning 27
J Escalante Natl. Mon. to Bryce N.P. the (unknown) Final Dayhikes April 15-16, 2021 Hiking & Camping 9
Bob Lost in the Escalante .......... Blast from the Past Backpacking 6
Bob A short Escalante trip end of April Backpacking 5
swmalone Restaurant Suggestions for Escalante or Boulder General Discussion 11
S Packrafting Escalante - FiftyMile Creek and low water level Lake Powell Trip Planning 8
swmalone Camping suggestions for Escalante in May Trip Planning 2
Muddy Waters Stevens, Fold, Escalante River, Fools, Kings Mesa Trip Reports 3
W 9 Days Solo Escalante Loop in October (water advice) - Stevens Canyon, Baker Route over Waterpocket fold, Halls Narrows to Moody Canyons Trip Planning 11
T Status of Traffic - Hole in the rock road - Escalante - September? Trip Planning 2
ramblinman Boulder Creek Day Hike, Escalante National Monument Hiking & Camping 5
M Ideas for 4 nights in Escalante Trip Planning 30
M Non-technical 1-2 night backpacking w dogs and kids - Escalante-ish area in April? Trip Planning 14
A 1st time backpacker in Escalante, UT Trip Planning 13
Stephanie B Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument - Kanab Area Hiking & Camping 2
Titans Permits car camping Grand Staircase Escalante NM? Trip Planning 6
Devin Ashby The Lower Gulch - Escalante (Seeking info on the route) Trip Planning 14
R Escalante River / Calf Creek Falls Current Conditions Trip Planning 10
cmgz Boulder Mail Trail - Escalante Trailhead to Mamie Creek Hiking & Camping 1
W Escalante River Backpacking Trip Planning 12
ADubs Looking for info from anyone who has done the Egypt loop and exited via 25mile wash (Escalante). Trip Planning 3
swmalone Rain, Mud, and Wind....First Trip to Escalante Area Hiking & Camping 16
canadug Current Escalante and Cap Reef Road conditons Trip Planning 17
JDWalters Access to Escalante River/Lake Powell near Cathedral in the Desert Trip Planning 7
regehr Escalante Jan 19 2019 Trip Planning 2
Jazzy Joe Looking for Escalante Area Short Backpacking Suggestions Early Spring Trip Planning 21
Nick Me love me some Escalante!! Backpacking 24
LarryBoy Water source information - Escalante/CRNP area Trip Planning 14
fossana Stephens Canyon Loop, part of Escalante Overland Route or ? Trip Planning 18
Artemus PUBLIC COMMENT - Bears Ears and Grand Staircase Escalante Management Plans General Discussion 19
Kyle P Escalante Area Gear Stores General Discussion 14