Ecuador Mountaineering: Cayambe, Antisana, & Chimborazo - June 2023

TheMountainRabbit

"The mountains don't care."
I'm not even sure where to start with this one... I've been back in the States for almost two weeks and I still haven't fully processed it. For a few years I've been working on improving my technical mountain skills and early last year I stumbled across the idea of going to South America to get some high-altitude, semi-technical practice. I floated the idea by my wife, and her response was basically, "We're coming, too, right?" So we got to work planning a six-week trip to Ecuador for the whole family - and I got to training.

Hiring guides isn't really my favorite thing in the world (understatement), but it would be a key part of this trip. Not cheap, but they were also super helpful in arranging transportation/accommodation for my wife and kids so I could see them throughout the two weeks of climbing. Guides are required to climb in Ecuador - though you can hire "day of" guides if you're comfortable with handling the pre-/post-trip logistics. That's probably what I'd do if I were to return, but only because of the knowledge/experience I gained on this trip.

The whole trip was incredible - from living in Quito to climbing the volcanoes to visiting the Galapagos (and a ton in between), but for the sake of brevity I'll stick mostly to the mountaineering. (I put this together in random chunks over the course of a few days - forgive the lack of consistency. :lol:)

Arrival in Quito & Day Trip to Cotopaxi
I arrived about a week early for the trip - I work remotely, so I was working a bit this week, but my family and I were able to get some pretty fun day trips in and help my acclimatization at the same time. Quito itself is already at almost 10k' - we rode the TelefericQo (cable car) up to 13k' feet on our second day in the city and took a day trip out to Cotopaxi a few days later. My youngest and I hiked up to the climbers' refugio at just under 16k'. I was originally planning to climb Cotopaxi, but we subbed in Antisana due to the fact that Cotopaxi is in the midst of an active eruption - made for some really cool photos.

On a clear day you can see a number of glacier-capped volcanoes from the slopes of Rucu Pichincha at the top of the cable car. No such luck on our visit, but fantastic views nonetheless.
20230530_101014.jpg
20230530_102609.jpg
20230530_110943.jpg
Our first look at Cotopaxi - we would thankfully only get better views from here.
20230603_102602.jpg
The wild (feral) horses of Cotopaxi National Park.
20230603_104820.jpg
Cotopaxi coming into clearer view - the grey near the summit is all ash on top of the glacier.
20230603_105609.jpg
One of my favorite pictures ever... and you can see the source of all that ash!
20230603_115023(o).jpg
I was pretty surprised my youngest made it up the refugio - I was waiting for something to turn him around, but no amount of freezing rain or falling ash did the trick. (Masks were pretty much mandatory with the ash/dust - I forgot my buff, but thankfully I still had a COVID leftover in my backpack.)
20230603_120430.jpg

It was bittersweet to leave my family after such a fantastic day at Cotopaxi, but it was time to start climbing.

Acclimatization
Being from Colorado and having a week in Quito under my belt, I was ahead of the game in regards to acclimatization - but the altitudes I'd be trying for on this trip were completely foreign to me. A couple more acclimatization hikes would certainly help. First up would be Rucu Pichincha (15,413') - I'd already visited the lower slopes via the "TelefericQo" cable cars and used the same cable cars to get a head start on this one. It's a pretty straightforward hike and - despite cloudy skies - the weather was excellent.
20230605_102538.jpg
The summit didn't want to give away any secrets - didn't get a good look until we were right on top of it.
20230605_112850.jpg
Hiking up into the clouds.
20230605_115853.jpg
Next up would be Fuya Fuya (13,986') - a long dormant volcano. (Pichincha is still considered active - its "new" summit Guagua Pichincha covered Quito in ash as recently as 1999.) Fuya Fuya was much more secluded - a quick, beautiful hike.

I was learning quickly that summits in Ecuador like to hide.
20230606_120046.jpg
View from the summit. I love the lake filling the ancient caldera.
20230606_123658.jpg

Cayambe (Summit Elevation: 18,996')
This would be my first big test - I'd been training/preparing, but I had no idea what to expect. The nice thing about the Ecuador volcanoes is that they are - relatively - accessible. For this ascent we would sleep at the high mountain refugio the night before - no need for tents and even a kitchen making food! Midnight starts are the norm here, so "sleep" is probably too generous a word.

Fun facts about Cayambe:
  1. It is the third highest mountain in Ecuador.
  2. The southern slope is the highest point in the world crossed by the equator.
  3. It is the only point on the equator with snow cover.
First look at the mountain.
20230607_092728.jpg
The "road" up to Cayambe is referred to as the "worst road in Ecuador"... I think that might be true. We had to walk a few portions - those drivers have nerves of steel.
20230607_171316.jpg
Test run up to the lower glacier the day before summit day.
20230607_153312.jpg
The summit peeked out briefly the night before the climb - really got me hyped. (I don't use Nalgenes on backpacking trips, so I took this opportunity to showcase my BCP swag.)
20230608_172112.jpg
Antisana poked into view for a bit as well - we'll get there soon enough.
20230608_183216.jpg
Now onto the climb itself... there's only one picture. Snow conditions were great, but weather/visibility... less so. Pretty much whiteout from bottom to top (to bottom). I felt great on this one - though above around 18k' the elevation was definitely noticeable. Despite the low visibility, I was thankful for an opportunity to put my gear and layering strategies through a real test and they came out shining. (Though if I was going to camp instead of a refugio, I'd have wanted to dispense with more layers as I descended - got a little too sweaty at the end.)

Anti-climactic summit photo!
20230609_070814.jpg

Antisana (18,875')
After the rough weather on Cayambe, Antisana treated us very nicely. Snow conditions, weather, and visibility were all absolutely incredible. Antisana doesn't have the name recognition or "fun facts" of the other Ecuadoran volcanoes (it is the fourth highest in Ecuador), but I did find it to be the summit that impressed the locals most when it was mentioned. It is definitely the most technically challenging of the volcanoes I climbed - it wouldn't have even been possible in conditions like those on Cayambe. The crevasses and ice formations here are just stunning - I felt very privileged to get to witness them in such ideal conditions.

Antisana is actually known for having particularly bad weather due largely to the fact that it's eastern slope drops directly into the Amazon rainforest. In fact, thanks primarily to the large clouds drifting west over the Andes, each year more water from the Amazon Basin ends up in the Pacific than the Atlantic - despite the mind-boggling size of the Amazon River.

Antisana is a much more remote mountain generally - no refugios here. Instead we had a very small base camp with a few small tents and two larger cooking tents. The original plan was to camp for two nights and go on the second, but conditions looked so good on the first night we couldn't pass it up. So on legs just barely recovered from Cayambe, we set out - again at midnight...

Antisana barely peaking out above base camp the afternoon before our climb.
20230611_131015.jpg
My camera (phone) isn't great in the dark, but an early look at Antisana's large subpeak as we passed by around 5a.
20230612_052601.jpg
And with a little more sun. Cotopaxi - with a small ash cloud - visible in the distance.
20230612_054614.jpg
Antisana's shadow hanging out w/ Cotopaxi.
20230612_061050.jpg
This was a fun climb... the route historically goes around to the left, but a newly opened crevasse dictated a detour.
20230612_062729.jpg
Looking down to base camp.
20230612_073822.jpg
And from the summit we could see Cayambe to the north. (Arguably better than we could see it when we were standing on top. :lol:)
20230612_084902.jpg
Video of the clouds flying over the summit.
With the sun at full force, the ice formations on the way down were spectacular. But it also started getting pretty warm - long way back to base camp.
20230612_092000 IMG_2986-sb.jpg
EDIT_20230612_093600 IMG_3004_1-sb.jpg
20230612_113600 IMG_3025_1-sb.jpg
Yours truly feeling pretty good on the way down.
IMG-20230612-WA0015.jpg
Looking back.
20230612_125700.jpg
20230612_134100 IMG_3314-sb.jpg

And now on to the big one...

Chimborazo (20,549')
This would by my final climb of the trip - and we saved the biggest for last. At over 20,500', Chimborazo is higher than any peak in North America (or any peak north of it on the American continents). So far I had felt physically very good on our climbs - I had trained very hard for this, so that was very gratifying - but Chimborazo made me happy for every second of training, because I think I used all of it. I'm not too proud to admit this one wiped me out, but it was an absolutely incredible feeling to stand at the top. (I'm also not too proud to admit that I shed a few tears up there. Happy ones.)

Fun facts about Chimborazo:
  1. It is the highest mountain in Ecuador.
  2. It is the closest place on Earth to the Sun - thanks the the equatorial bulge. (And also the furthest from the center of the Earth.)
  3. Until the late 18th century, Chimborazo was considered the highest mountain on Earth.
Conditions here were good - better than Cayambe, but not as nice as Antisana. That said, I think my (relative) lack of pictures here is more due to exhaustion than visibility.:p

One great thing about this one is that my boys came with me! Well, just to the lodge before I headed up to high camp, but it was a joy nonetheless. The Chimborazo Lodge is one of the most unique places I've ever visited in my life. Owned (and operated) by renowned Ecuadoran climber Marco Cruz, the whole place is clearly a labor of love - and might as well be a mountaineering museum itself!
20230615_082720.jpg
My boys showing off their respective personalities... Chimborazo trying to make an appearance.
20230614_171022.jpg
View from our room.
20230614_181159.jpg
And now for the climb.
20230615_140700 IMG_3477-sb.jpg
For this one we stayed at a more traditional "high camp" - again not much sleep was had ahead of our 1a start.
20230615_174400 IMG_3915-sb.jpg
Chimborazo isn't as technical a peak as Antisana, but it makes up for it with a very consistent, seemingly never-ending 40°+ slope.
20230616_054600 IMG_7163-sb.jpg
I guess clouds aren't so bad when they're below you?
20230616_054600 IMG_7164-sb.jpg
Look back at the lower Ventimilla summit from the main Whymper summit.
20230616_071400 IMG_7165-sb.jpg
Just a few more pictures on the way down.
20230616_090112.jpg
20230616_090117.jpg

It was an incredible trip. After all the work that went into making it happen, to have it go as well as it did was very fulfilling. I'm not sure many "big mountain" objectives are in my future, but I learned a ton and got to practice a lot of skills that are hard to work on closer to home. The effect of high elevation on the body is pretty humbling: I lost about 20#s in just two weeks of climbing - and I felt like all I did was eat between climbs! Still toying with the idea of Denali in 2025...

After the climbing was through, my family and I still had a couple weeks to enjoy Ecuador (and the fantastic food in Quito). Just an incredible experience all around - capped off by a long-weekend trip to the Galapagos! It's been a dream of mine since I was very young to go see the tortoises - it did not disappoint.
EDIT_20230624_105507.jpg

Last edited:
Super cool

Amazing Stuff!

No wonder it was such a challenge to keep up with you along Trout Creek. :)

That is a trip (including some accomplishments) of a lifetime. . . being as young as you are I can only imagine what big thing(s) you will accomplish next.

Glad the family was able to experience parts of the adventure with you too. Those kids have a Super-Dad!

Glad your trip went well! The glaciers and ice on Antisana looks awesome, a good substitute. Looking forward to hearing more about it in person.
Cotopaxi erupting ended up being a huge blessing - getting to visit and see the ash clouds on display was incredible and Antisana ended up being my favorite summit.

Looking forward to "the Bob" later this year! You may end up hearing more than you care to about Ecuador. :lol: (Also, I'm heading back out to the southern Absaroka tomorrow - hoping to see even half the grizzlies we saw last year!)

You were only able to summit those peaks because of the Black Lake training hike...

Awesome photos and report! I love the photos on Antisana. And I love that your whole family was able to go; what a special experience for your kids

Awe-inspiring! What an incredible trip that must have been. Very cool to have had your family there with you too.