Echo Lake via the Overlook Mt Trail

SirDonB

So what's next?
On May 22, 2021 I set out on my first ever solo trip. I knew I wanted to get to the Catskills region in NY because I have never been there yet. The Catskills are only about an hours drive south of where I live near Albany, NY. So after much research, I decided on Echo Lake via the Overlook Mt Trail. Everything I read about the trail lead me to believe that it was easy and not too difficult. Well as I quickly found out in the first 1/4 mile, it was going to be ALOT more difficult than previously thought. The Overlook Mt trail itself is wide, about as wide as a lane on the road, and flat, as in no real major obstacles to traverse, but it is steep. I would estimate the incline to be about 20-25 degrees on average or more. The steep incline starts shortly after you leave the trailhead parking lot and continues till you reach the summit 2 miles later. On the way up, there are, thankfully, plenty of large rocks to sit and rest on. Unfortunately, there is not much to see in the way of scenic views until you reach the summit.

100_6512.JPG20210522_110606.jpg100_6513.JPG

About 1.5 miles up the trail, you will come across the Overlook Mt House ruins to explore.

20210523_110754.jpg
20210523_110807.jpg

Just beyond the ruins is the turn off to go to Echo Lake. There is still 2 miles of hiking to go from this point. The Echo Lake trail would be easily passed by if not for the signage at the intersection. The Echo Lake trail starts off as a very narrow path worn to the dirt going into the untamed wilderness. Most of this trail has an almost flat incline descending in elevation as you move towards Echo Lake. After about 1.5 miles, you come to a large rock at another intersection of trails. Continuing straight will lead you to Devil's Kitchen while taking the left will take you down a steep 0.5 mile incline trail that ends at Echo Lake.

20210523_093519.jpg

Around Echo Lake you will find 7 NYS DEC campsites and a Lean-to. If you are unlucky at finding and open site, fear not, backcountry camping is permitted as long as you follow the DECs guidelines. I was lucky enough to find an open site on my stay.

100_6518.JPG100_6516.JPG

100_6515.JPG

Given my fitness level, or lack there of, it took me 6 hours to hike the 4 miles to my site. I was both mentally and physically tired from the hike. I had to fight myself for about 2.5 miles to not quit and turn back. After that point I had to remind myself that I had come too far to turn back and eventually made it. The hike back the next morning didn't take as long, about 4.5 hours to do the same 4 miles.

While I do not regret my gear selection nor my pack choice, I have revamped the gear, ditched a few things, and put a few kits on a diet for next time.

For anyone interested, I can do another post about the pack and gear I took at future date that is TBD.

Attachments

• 100_6514.JPG
    100_6514.JPG
    659.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_6519.JPG
    100_6519.JPG
    577.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210522_193815.jpg
    20210522_193815.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 1
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
ram A Snowy Echo Canyoneering 15
Bridgette Car Camping Echo or Pyramid? Trip Planning 3
Nick Echo, Joan & Gem Lakes - Uintas Backpacking 10
Dave Echo Park, May 24-25 2014 Hiking & Camping 6
IntrepidXJ Echo Canyon Hiking & Camping 2
Howells Outdoors Echo Canyon Canyoneering 5
Seldom Seen Anderson Echo Canyon Hiking & Camping 4
kwc Short jaunt to Broomstick Lake, southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
Janice Mirror Lake Highway - Crowds? Recommendation? Trip Planning 2
Chuck the Mauler Sierra North Lake / South Lake "loop" questions Trip Planning 10
Duketogo13 Questions about packrafting the Escalante/Lake Powell in September. Need help! Trip Planning 5
priz1234 Pine River, Lake Creek, Flint Creek Loop San Juan. 7/3-7/5 Backpacking 6
Georgia Yankee Apostle Islands, Lake Superior, June 2021 On The Water 4
JuddOutdoors Hike To Grass Lake //Desolation Wilderness //Lake Tahoe Basin Hiking & Camping 0
Tim Valentine Market Lake Idaho: Birds Photography 3
RyanP North Fork Bull Lake Creek Trip Planning 35
S Packrafting Escalante - FiftyMile Creek and low water level Lake Powell Trip Planning 8
Dustynails0 Beartooth lake to East rosebud traverse Trip Planning 6
kwc Winter Hike into Broomstick Lake 1/13/21 Hiking & Camping 2
kwc Jockeybush Lake in the Winter Hiking & Camping 8
D Coyote Gulch to Lake Powell Trip Planning 8
Tomaswmitchell Cuberant Lake hike, Bigfoot tracks? Video Hiking & Camping 2
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Heart Lake -- September 14-17 2020 Backpacking 32
norwegianxplorer Summiting Mount Whitney from Guitar Lake, 6 Days backpacking the Sierra before the Creek Fire closed everything down. Backpacking 5
Perry Teal Lake Lollipop Over Night Trip Backpacking 21
kwc Murphy Lake, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
Titans Pharaoh Lake Wilderness- some much needed Vitamin W Hiking & Camping 5
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Lost River Range in Idaho : Bear Creek Lake & Upper Basin Backpacking 7
Jammer Sequoia: Upper Kern and Lake South America Backpacking 12
Born to Hike 85 miles on the Uinta Highline Trail including Crater Lake and a Dinosaur: July 26 - Aug 1, 2020 Backpacking 33
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Okanogan National Forest : Copper Glance Lake & failed attempt at No Dice Lake Backpacking 2
Curt Visiting (Part of) the Lake District of Cloud Peak Wilderness Backpacking 15
scatman Bourbon Lake, Uintas - July 11, 2020 Hiking & Camping 4
NorthwestWanderer Overnight Backpack to Louis Lake, Lake Chelan-Sawtooth Wilderness Backpacking 4
U Favorite sites in Glacier in North Fork, Lake McDonald or Cole/Nyack? Looking at mid july Trip Planning 2
Perry Last Minute Over Nighter to Packard Lake Backpacking 13
Born to Hike Early June 3-day jaunt on the Uinta Highline Trail: Naturalist Basin, Pinto Lake, Margo Lake Backpacking 8
Matt Van Natta HELP: Wind River Range, Baker Lake to Green River Lakes Trip Planning 6
U Just picked up a permit for Shelf Lake 2 nights in Mid/Late July. Any ideas for a day hike/summit from there? Trip Planning 0
Perry 5.7 mag Earthquake in Salt Lake City Area - Check in Here to Let Us Know You're Okay General Discussion 44
WasatchWill A Night at Notch Lake Backpacking 10
Yvonne Day Hike to Cache Lake, Yellowstone NP, August 2019 Hiking & Camping 6
J Lake Mead Natl Recreation Area North Shore scramble fun. Nov. 28-30, 2019 Hiking & Camping 5
hikeer Beartooths - Island Lake to the Beaten Path Backpacking 21
BJett The Grotto of Grayson Lake. Kentucky. On The Water 7
P Ribbon Lake, Yellowstone Backpacking 6
P Heart Lake, Yellowstone Backpacking 13
westy Lake Mead NRA Hiking & Camping 0
Born to Hike Mountain Solitude: Reconnaissance Lake, High Uintas, early Sept 2019 Backpacking 9
P Goose Lake weekend Backpacking 10