Echo Canyon

Typically in the summer I stay away from Zion for hiking (both because of the heat and the people). This year has been an exception and I have spent lots of time in Zion. Fortunately even with the 11,000 people on a busy day there are places in the park where people are seldom seen. Last Tuesday my brother and a long lost buddy of mine (he has been researching in Croatia for his dissertation) hiked ECHO CANYON from the bottom (non technical).
IMG_9026.jpg

IMG_9030.jpg
IMG_9034.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised at how much we could actually hike this canyon. I would say we were about an hour in the slot. Because this was pre this weeks rain, the canyon was pretty dry. At the deepest there were short pools up to our waist. At the backcountry desk they suggested a farmer john but it was totally unnecessary and I am glad we didnt bring them. There was a fair amount of non-technical canyoneering required but nothing that someone with a partner and some basic skills couldnt overcome.
IMG_9014.jpg

IMG_9035.jpg

IMG_9037.jpg

IMG_9053.jpg

IMG_9054.jpg

IMG_9060.jpg

IMG_9064.jpg

IMG_9065.jpg

Eventually we reached the echo chamber which barred further exploration. On the way back we found the east rim trail, scrambled up to it and hike out on the east rim trail.

IMG_9039.jpg

Like I mentioned this was pre rain so the conditions could be and probably are completely different. With more water in the canyon I could totally see a wet suit being mandatory and considering how slick the rock/canyon was without water with it the canyon could be quite the beast!

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

intuitive cat

Jurassic Dust in my Bones
i've wondered about this canyon since my first time doing the Observation Point trail. felt its call.
looks sweet but like one would have to carefully pick their timeframe or go with more gear/wetsuit, as you said.
added to my list...
thanks for the report!

I agree this year up until this week it had been so dry there was very little water, now though after this week, I would guess it would just about be mandatory to have a wetsuit.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
IntrepidXJ Echo Canyon Hiking & Camping 2
Howells Outdoors Echo Canyon Canyoneering 5
SirDonB Echo Lake via the Overlook Mt Trail Hiking & Camping 0
ram A Snowy Echo Canyoneering 15
Bridgette Car Camping Echo or Pyramid? Trip Planning 3
Nick Echo, Joan & Gem Lakes - Uintas Backpacking 10
Dave Echo Park, May 24-25 2014 Hiking & Camping 6
OwenM Hiking Horse Canyon? Trip Planning 2
TrailScot Lake Powell and the 'return' of Glen Canyon General Discussion 1
scatman Foothill Follies Part 2 - Black Mountain Ridge and City Creek Canyon Loop - November 11, 2021 Hiking & Camping 6
TrailScot Step Canyon access to Grand Gulch, Cedar Mesa Trip Planning 7
chandlerwest Bryce Canyon - Under The Rim Trail Hiking & Camping 0
RyanP Coyote Gulch to Halls Creek via Steven's Canyon and the Baker Route (car/key swap) Meet Up (Members Only) 5
Jazerrad Parunweap Canyon / The Barracks (Utah) Trip Planning 4
stretch Grand Canyon Loop: Thunder River -> Tapeats -> Kanab -> Sowats Backpacking 10
B In Government Trail and out Water Canyon Trip Planning 3
balzaccom Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne Backpacking 2
X Poison Spring Canyon / Black Jump Fall 2021 Trip Planning 2
kansas Good map of Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument? Trip Planning 3
balzaccom Buckeye Canyon thunderstorms Backpacking 0
balzaccom Kings Canyon NP Day Hikes Hiking & Camping 3
J Death Valley Natl. Pk: Funeral Pk, Slit Canyon, and Big Dune. Dec 21-22, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
LarryBoy Skin Rash in Canyon Country General Discussion 11
swmalone Bryce Canyon Family Trip Hiking & Camping 10
J Grand Canyon NP Backpack Pt. 2 Deer Cyn explore-->Esplanade-->Indian Hollow Tr. April 18-23, 2021 Backpacking 8
J Grand Canyon NP Backpack Pt. 1 Thunder River Tr.-->Esplanade-->Tapeats-->Deer. April 18-23, 2021 Backpacking 13
Laura V. Four Days in Salt Creek Canyon, April 2021 Backpacking 31
NorthwestWanderer 4 Days Backpacking Capitol Reef : Spring Canyon & Various side canyons Backpacking 5
F Stevens Canyon/southern escalate water availability. Trip Planning 16
Juicifer Labyrinth Canyon in April Questions Trip Planning 2
Nick Running the Grand Canyon in a Tule Raft General Discussion 2
Udink Mount Belknap and Bullion Canyon Hiking & Camping 3
norwegianxplorer Mt Whitney Virtual Hike via Horseshoe Meadows & Mt Langley, Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park Backpacking 1
Laura V. Bears in Salt Creek Canyon, Canyonlands Trip Planning 76
Reef&Ruins Hell'n Moriah Canyon Trip Planning 5
D Grand Canyon Ideas Trip Planning 9
RyanP Maze questions---Sweet Alice Canyon, etc Trip Planning 22
gnwatts Doing fine in Labyrinth Canyon, 9-17-20 On The Water 8
BJett Honeymoon Backpacking - An Intro to Canyon Country Backpacking 14
W 9 Days Solo Escalante Loop in October (water advice) - Stevens Canyon, Baker Route over Waterpocket fold, Halls Narrows to Moody Canyons Trip Planning 11
B Dark Canyon - Young's to Lean-to Traverse Trip Planning 3
M Dark Canyon Complex Water Data Trip Planning 4
Dhuff3243 Constrychnine canyon Trip Planning 0
Outdoors24 Floating Labyrinth Canyon On The Water 7
C Paria Canyon water source - August 2020 Trip Planning 2
balzaccom Fun in Mokelumne Canyon Backpacking 1
norwegianxplorer Big SEKI loop, Sequoia Kings Canyon Backpacking 1
norwegianxplorer Bear Standoff and Bluff Charge in Kings Canyon yesterday June 30th Backpacking 16
zionsky Jan's Canyon Trip Planning 2
Bob Grand Canyon North Rim wildfire Trip Planning 4