Eastern Uinta Solo Trip Advice Request

Ryan Lambert

Hello everyone,

I am going to try something new this year, instead of planning a group backpacking trip I am going to go solo. I have been watching Perry Taylor's excellent youtube series "Looping the Highline" and have decided to use that as a jumping off point for my own trip. I am looking at a seven day trip (mid to late August) at a relaxed pace with daily mileage in the 7-10 mile range. I am thinking of starting at the Spirit Lake TH, heading west to Island Lake, over Divide Pass, then to Fox Lake and over Fox Queant Pass, then on to Chepeta Lake and Whiterocks Lake. From that point I am considering three alternative routes back to Spirit Lake: (A) trail 019 to Weyman Park then trail 017 to Spirit Lake; (B) Trail 018-1 near Deadman Lake to its junction with Trail 017; or (C) staying on the Highline to the junction with Trail 012 then to Trail 021 and Trail 017 back to Spirit Lake. If that doesn't make sense, here is a caltopo map of the route. For reference, option (A) is the route that Perry did in Episode 1 of his Looping the Highline series.

I am looking for advice on each of the options. I.e. how do they compare, any advantages or disadvantages to one over the other two?

Thanks,

Ryan

I cannot say for myself, but you may want to tag The man himself, @Perry to make sure he sees.
He does excellent stuff.

Hello Ryan. I’m glad my videos were of help to you. :) Today is going to be a crazy day at work, but I'll try to get you some beta this afternoon.

Last edited:
Hello Ryan. I’m glad my videos were of help to you. :) Today is going to be a crazy day at work, but I'll try to get you some beta this afternoon.
It’s going to be a bit yet. Crazy project at work is keeping me away. Be patient and I will get you a reply soon

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Tim Valentine Eastern Sierra Backpack 2023 Backpacking 16
Tim Valentine Big Pine Creek Eastern Sierra Backpacking 10
texasbb Howdy from Eastern Washington Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
fossana Eastern Sun Canyon to the Narrows (Zion NP) Canyoneering 4
chandlerwest Continuing Adventures in Eastern Zion National Park Hiking & Camping 31
JDWalters Guess the Spot: Eastern US Edition General Discussion 515
Titans Pharaoh Lake Wilderness - Brilliant Fall Foliage, Pond and Lake Reflections- Adirondacks, North Eastern US Hiking & Camping 20
mikejones3 Northfork to Second Lake Eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains Backpacking 5
K In Search of Snow in the Eastern Sierra Backpacking 3
balzaccom Buckeye Creek, Eastern Sierra on the 4th of July Backpacking 0
JoshuaDyal Far eastern Uintas Trip Planning 4
Michael Outside the US ° A trip to the Wetterstein Mountain - Eastern Alps Everything Else 13
klank South Lake to North Lake - Eastern Sierras Backpacking 9
Joey Yellowstone's Lamar River, Hoodoo Basin, and Eastern Boundary Loop Backpacking 24
Laura Eastern Sierra Getaway Backpacking 11
Laura Rock Creek Cabins-Eastern Sierra Romantic Getaway! Everything Else 4
Nick Potter Lake, Eastern Uintas Backpacking 0
M Backpacking 50 miles in the Uinta Mountains for 5 days with ~50 pound pack Backpacking 4
regehr uinta snow? Trip Planning 6
J Uinta Highline Trail Shuttle Trip Planning 0
Parma Uinta Highline Trail Website General Discussion 1
Born to Hike 85 miles on the Uinta Highline Trail including Crater Lake and a Dinosaur: July 26 - Aug 1, 2020 Backpacking 35
S Uinta Highline Trail shuttle options? Trip Planning 5
Born to Hike Early June 3-day jaunt on the Uinta Highline Trail: Naturalist Basin, Pinto Lake, Margo Lake Backpacking 8
Perry In Search of a Prime Uinta Vista Trip Reports 8
Dave High Uinta sheep grazing EIS General Discussion 2
sydissoocool Looking for a backpacking buddy for Uinta Highline Trail Noobs: Introduce yourself! 6
Stickerbumper Uinta Discovery Trail 2018 Backpacking 17
jdfut66 Uinta Loop suggestion Trip Planning 3
Parma Highline: A feature documentary on the Uinta Highline Trail General Discussion 21
DuneElliot Trip Report: Backpacking the Uinta Highline Trail, July 2018 Backpacking 6
jar155 Murdock Basin, Uinta Mountains 7.28.2018 Hiking & Camping 2
uintafly Kid Uinta backpacking trip Trip Planning 7
K Uinta Highline Trail, July 4-8 2018 Backpacking 6
jar155 North Erickson Lake, Uinta Mountains (off trail approach) Backpacking 9
jdfut66 Uinta trip - Priord to Dead horse Loop Trip Planning 9
Perry Uinta Highline trail - East to West - Mission Accomplished! Backpacking 24
Nick 19 Highest Uinta Peaks in 33 Hours General Discussion 13
Luke High elevation uinta campgrounds/lakes General Discussion 9
Perry Suggestions for 3-day/2-night Uinta's Route Trip Planning 10
Amanda Mitchell Vernal, Utah Uinta Highline Trail shuttle offer Noobs: Introduce yourself! 9
westy Uinta waterfalls Trip Planning 5
DaveW Uinta Highline - Chepeta Lake to Hayden Pass Backpacking 6
Perry Uinta Highline Trail Part II Planning Trip Planning 67
Perry Uinta Highline Trail - East to West Backpacking 21
jtarheel1 Uinta Trip in Mid October? Trip Planning 34
andyjaggy Missing Uinta Man Found General Discussion 0
Devin Ashby Ostler Peak - Amethyst Basin - High Uinta Wilderness Backpacking 0
Perry Uinta Highline Trail: Food and Bears. General Discussion 39
Devin Ashby Packard Lake - Uinta Mountains Backpacking 6