Album Earth Shadow

slc_dan

Desert Rat-Weekend Warrior
This Album is dedicated to that natural phenomena we call "Earth Shadow." It looks so lovely in the colder seasons when the angle of the sun is low on the horizon.

Wiki explains: "Earth Shadows, or Earth Shadow are names for the shadow that the Earth itself casts on its atmosphere. This shadow is often visible from the surface of the Earth, as a dark band in the sky near the horizon. This atmospheric phenomenon can sometimes be seen twice a day, around the times of sunset and sunrise."

One from the roost this past weekend.

Roost Sunset
by slc_dan, on Flickr

Last edited:
IMG_0282.JPG

IMG_3002.JPG

Alpenglow is light reflecting off water particles in the air from what I understand. Check out that Wikipedia link above. I usually only see earth shadow in areas where there is a huge view with nothing too big blocking the horizon.

Alpenglow is light reflecting off water particles in the air from what I understand. Check out that Wikipedia link above. I usually only see earth shadow in areas where there is a huge view with nothing too big blocking the horizon.

Since it seems to me that they look exactly the same and are both only at dawn/dusk.....I'm not sure I could differentiate.

While I am new on the thought of Earth Shadow/BofV, I think they are relatively the same concept, and the distinguishable difference between the two is what the filtered light is hitting. Alpenglow will hit mountains, trees, objects while The Band of Venus will be in the sky. Earth's Shadow is the grey band that seems to follow, which doesn't light anything up so I suppose is truly different

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpenglow

"Note: at the bottom it says 'See Also, Band of Venus."

Note the picture below. The BofV and Earth Shadow is above the mountains which sorta alpenglowed a bit before this picture was taken.
11-11 Sunset-19.jpg

Earlier
11-11 Sunset-14.jpg

Or I don't understand either phenomenon. All I really need to know is "PRETTY."

Last edited:
They don't look the same at all to me. Alpenglow reflects and lights up the earth. Earth Shadow casts a shadow into the atmosphere.