Eagle Rock Loop Trail in Arkansas

On my first foray back into backpacking I failed miserably.

Or at least failed if your only measurement is completing the trail. I did however learn a lot.

1. Don't pick the hardest trail in Arkansas to get back into things.
2. Know your limitations. My brain said I was still 20, and I got this! My body however said... you're a damn 45yr old fool!
3. Don't think you can still carry a 50+ pound pack.

I know that my food bag was just a hair on the heavy side. I was packing for 7 days, and had read that two pounds a day was about right. My food bag ended up weighing in at 15 pounds 7 ounces.

I knew my camera gear was heavy, but didn't know how much until I got home and started weighing things. As a professional photographer, I can't go with just some point and shoot. I've also started recording my trips for my youtube channel. My DSLR, Tripod, and video camera came in at 9.87 pounds. 5.31 pounds of that was tripod.

Now that, I can possibly do something about providing I can find a lighter weight tripod that meets my needs... which are kinda particular. Now I just have to figure out how to reduce some of the other weight.

2018-06_EagleRockLoopTrail-0056-KBP-watermarked.jpg

That's a nice shot! Keep em coming! Glad you got out there even if it didn't end like you wanted. What trail were you on?

That's a nice shot! Keep em coming! Glad you got out there even if it didn't end like you wanted. What trail were you on?

Thanks, I was on the Eagle Rock Loop trail in southwest Arkansas. I have more images on my site. Can I post a link or is it against the rules to promote your stuff? I also have video of the trip up on youtube.

Thanks, I was on the Eagle Rock Loop trail in southwest Arkansas. I have more images on my site. Can I post a link or is it against the rules to promote your stuff? I also have video of the trip up on youtube.
Definitely ok to post a link, esp since you're contributing here as well. And you can embed a YouTube video right into the page here :)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Dan Adkison Eagle Rock Loop, Ouachita National Forest Backpacking 6
Stephanie B Eagle Rock Shelter (Delta County, CO) Hiking & Camping 2
O Eagle Cap from China Cap to Meadow Mountain Backpacking 3
TrektheWorld Crater Lake and Lone Eagle Peak Backpacking 1
NorthwestWanderer 6 Day Eagle Cap Wilderness Odyssey | Cross Country Travel | The Highlight Highway Loop Backpacking 6
Mountain Wanderer First trip in to the Eagle Cap Wilderness Backpacking 10
NorthwestWanderer Eagle Cap Wilderness, Oregon (July 1 - July 3) Backpacking 5
IntrepidXJ Lone Eagle Cirque Backpacking 2
hatchcanyon San Rafael Swell: South Fork Eagle Canyon Off Road 2
Lisa Eagle Cap Wilderness, September 2014 Backpacking 17
Blake Merrell Canyoneering in Heaven.... eh, I mean Eagle Creek! Canyoneering 7
steve Gear Review Sea Eagle Fast Track 385 Inflatable Kayak Review Gear Reviews 44
hatchcanyon Fly with the Eagle Everything Else 16
TrailScot Hole-in-the-Rock Road - Escalante General Discussion 11
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - 5 Day Backpacking Adventure from Chimney Rock to Burro Wash - October 2023 Backpacking 10
Jackson Little Rock Creek Backpacking 5
2eez4life Suggestions: Uintas Backpacking with some rock climbing routes Trip Planning 0
kwc Another Southern Adirondacks hike - Clockmill Pond and Rock Lake Hiking & Camping 0
R Pony Express Trail, Black Rock to Simpson Springs Hiking & Camping 3
XID_AZ Willow Gulch from Hole in the Rock Trip Planning 4
fossana Yellow Rock, Pollock Arch, Hackberry Canyon loop (GSENM) Hiking & Camping 10
F Who has been here? Ruin off Hole-in-the-Rock road General Discussion 4
napatony13 UNUSUAL ROCK ART STYLES Off Road 4
scatman Beartooth Wilderness - Flat Rock Lake Lollipop Loop - July 26, 2021 Backpacking 56
C Coyote Gulch via Chimney rock trail Trip Planning 0
napatony13 BISHOP BACKROADS ROCK ART Off Road 2
napatony13 SUCCESSFUL SLEUTHING-Nevada Rock Art Off Road 6
Henk Moab rock art vandalized General Discussion 1
J Bunch O' N. San Rafael Swell summit scrambles April 10-12, 2021 (now w/rock art) Hiking & Camping 3
J Dayhiking Moab's awesome geography, couple hikes to summits and rock art April 8-9, 2021 Hiking & Camping 0
scatman Castle Rock - April 3, 2021 Hiking & Camping 13
norwegianxplorer Preikestolen, Pulpit Rock, Hiking Norways most Iconic and spectacular Landmark & views, Lysefjord, Norway Hiking & Camping 1
Stephanie B Fishing (for Trout) and Hunting (for Rock Art) In and Near Capitol Reef National Park Hiking & Camping 7
T Status of Traffic - Hole in the rock road - Escalante - September? Trip Planning 2
fossana Wire Pass fire (impacting House Rock Rd/Buckskin Gulch) Trip Planning 3
Stephanie B Searchin' for Ruins and Rock Art in San Juan County, UT Hiking & Camping 6
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Pasayten Wilderness : Harts Pass, PCT, Windy Pass, Buffalo Pass, Foggy Pass, Jim Pass, Hulman Pass & Rock Pass Meadows Backpacking 3
NorthwestWanderer Waterfall Hikes & the death of my legendary Chevy Cobalt...in a rock slide. Hiking & Camping 8
Rockskipper Hiker seriously injured by rock at Fisher Towers General Discussion 12
Stephanie B Sand Island and Sand Dune Rock Art Hiking & Camping 1
b.stark Crack In Rock - Fall 2016 Backpacking 6
J Red Rock(s) Canyon Natl.Conservation Area Hikes and Scrambles Nov. 15 and 16, 2017 Hiking & Camping 0
L Red Castle Lakes / Wilson Peak OR Rock Creek Basin Trip Planning 4
BJett Shining Rock Wilderness Backpacking 10
Strawsome What is your favorite hike in the Escalante/Hole in the rock road area? General Discussion 6
Jimmy Hole in the Rock Car Camping Trip Planning 0
powderglut Toadstools and Hoodoos in the White Rock Valley Hiking & Camping 8
IntrepidXJ Album Hoodoos, Spires and other Rock Formations Photography 73
SKLund Spilling the Beans on Rock Art General Discussion 15
Rockskipper As ice thaws, rock avalanches on Southeast Alaska mountains are getting bigger General Discussion 0