DSLR's...recommendations...

BJett

I'm in the market for a new DSLR. I'm having trouble deciding whether to jump in a spend the $$$ for a full frame or stick with DX. My photography is pretty much all outdoors, landscapes...not much action or sports stuff, I generally use my GoPro for that. Video isn't a big deal as far as my choice of camera, but it would be nice to have quality 1080p/60fps if I want to mix it in with GoPro footage.
Hiking and backpacking is when I shoot 95% of my pics, so weight/packability would be a factor.

I'm not into photography to sell my images, although that would be nice someday. I know to get the most out of a full frame camera, you have to have a really good lens...the $ is adding up quick. I've been looking at the Nikon D7100 as far as lower end, and Canon 6D for full frame.

Thoughts, opinions, recommendations from you rock star photographers out there?

The 6D takes awesome photos and if it had been out when I bought my 5DMkIII I might have bought that instead. There's no reason to spring for a 5DMkIII if weight is a concern (it is quite heavy). The 24-105 is a great lens and I find I use that 85% of the time.

Thanks! I was wondering about that "kit" lens with the 6D, sometimes they can be pretty low quality. I've seen shots from both of you, and they are quite stunning...so 2 votes for 6D. This kind of stuff is what credit cards are made for, right? :)

Lens quality is a much more important concern than body quality, IMO. That said, the 6D has impressed me in my (limited) use so far.

Since you're considering Nikon and Canon offerings, I'd recommend looking at the lenses you'd someday like to own and basing your decision mostly around that.

Thanks! I was wondering about that "kit" lens with the 6D, sometimes they can be pretty low quality. I've seen shots from both of you, and they are quite stunning...so 2 votes for 6D. This kind of stuff is what credit cards are made for, right? :)

Thanks, glad you are enjoying the shots! My shots were taken with a 5D MkIII and I believe Randy's are mostly with a 6D, so you can compare how each shoots and IMO see there's really no difference in optical quality between the two. Don't worry about the kit lens if it's the 24-105mm. That's an L lens, it's one of the most versatile lenses out there and the quality is top notch.

I really love my t2i, but next camera purchase and I'll be getting the 6d. I'm really glad the 6d doesn't have a touch screen, and is mostly no frills. I really just want the full frame sensor.

Another vote for the Canon 6D here. I picked mine up earlier this year after using an XSi and then a 60D. The 24-105 lens is fantastic and doesn't deserve the word 'kit' associated with it. Low light and high ISO performance is second to none and the price is fantastic. Add in a nice ultrawide and you're set!

There appears to be a theme here...
Its in my Amazon Cart. Just waiting to hit "Proceed to Checkout". Well, if I can't afford to get anyone else a Christmas gift this year, at least I'll be able to take really nice pictures of the family get-togethers...:)

That's all the camera I can get for now, I've got some kayaking gear to update so I don't freeze my butt off this winter. Might start looking into more lenses later in the spring, hopefully right before my next trip to the desert. Need to stop chipping away at my vacay time!

There appears to be a theme here...
Its in my Amazon Cart. Just waiting to hit "Proceed to Checkout". Well, if I can't afford to get anyone else a Christmas gift this year, at least I'll be able to take really nice pictures of the family get-togethers...:)

I ordered my 5DMkIII through B&H photo, and not only was the price reduced, but it came with a camera case, spare battery and card. Plus they had a deal going with Bill Me Later and you could pay it off with no interest in 6 months, so that's what I did. Don't know if they still have that deal but B&H is definitely worth checking out if you haven't already.

I have the 6D and use it for videography and just learning some landscape photography and love it! It's been great, and it is a lot lighter and a little smaller than the Mark III however that camera is amazing!! You will be so happy with the 6D. Full Frame, ISO is much better than the Mark II, and I've heard good things about the 24-105 too. I have the 24-70 and an old school 17-40 and love them with that camera.