Dry Freak shirts

Deadeye008

Hambone
Anyone used one of these. I found out about them through a local fly fishing shop. The owner of the shop swears by them. I just might have to pick one up. Haven't been able to find much about the company online. The owner of the fly shop said the designer is a wind surfer.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/DRYFREAK

https://mickeyfinnsflybox.com/shop/product.php?productid=6&cat=3&page=1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ETB23W/?tag=backcountrypo-20

There are a couple Youtube videos on them that show how well they work under a running faucett but I can't access Youtube from my work computer to post them.

i don't get it. none of those links say anything about the shirt. what is it? a waterproof shirt?

interesting. the obvious question is - where does my sweat go? for a shirt, i'm far more interested in wearing something that wicks away my own moisture, and dries quickly. if it repels water that well, it can't be all that breathable.

seems counterproductive, or am i missing something?

interesting. the obvious question is - where does my sweat go? for a shirt, i'm far more interested in wearing something that wicks away my own moisture, and dries quickly. if it repels water that well, it can't be all that breathable.

seems counterproductive, or am i missing something?

There are plenty of fabrics that repel water and still breath well(gor-tex, eVent, etc.) Whether this fabric wicks away sweat though, I am not sure. Like I said in my first post. The designer of the shirt is a wind surfer and he wanted a shirt that would stay dry when going from starting in the water to being up on the board. Fly fishers like them because they can stick their sleeves in the water or get splashed on and the water just rolls off the fabric. Guess I'll have to pick one up and see how well it wicks sweat.

Here are a couple of "reviews" from their Facebook page.

"My name is Mickey Navidomskis and I work in my Dad’s Fly Fishing shop; Mickey Finns’ Fly Box, in Kaysville, Utah. While on the water I would never be without one of my many Dry Freak shirts (and my favorite Ute hat). Dry Freak breaths so we...
ll it keeps me cool and shaded from the sun. The shirt has a soft feeling fabric so I can wear it all day, but best of all, it keeps me dry and warm whenever I get in the water! From Florida to Alaska, from Canada to my home in Utah, I am never without my Dry Freak shirts. Dry Freak makes the perfect Fly Fishing shirt. -mickey"

"I'm a photojournalist on assignment in NYC covering Air Force Week and I wanted to travel light, really light! Temp was in the 60s today, with a light breeze and I needed to stay dry in the constant rain. My team mates thought - was crazy...
- just wearing a shirt. So put my photo vest on and out we went. Immediately, water beaded and rolled off my sleeves. Only where the vest pressed on my body did a slight amount of moisture get in. I figure the vest was interfering with the weave of the fabric. Once I was in a subway or under a overhang the whole shirt pulled the any dampness off me and dried out in minutes - amazing!!!
Thanks-Dry Freak!!!"

There are plenty of fabrics that repel water and still breath well(gor-tex, eVent, etc.)
actually - no, those fabrics don't breathe well, certainly not as well as a proper baselayer. they breathe as well as a waterproof layer can, but nothing close to a proper baselayer or windshirt. ever tried climbing a pass with a goretex shell on? it's completely miserable. and i would never consider wearing those fabrics against my skin. that's the point of a baselayer. my guess is the dryfreak shirts only work well when there is little to no significant exertion. if i'm working hard enough to be sweating - that shirt doesn't seem like it would do the job. i greatly prefer a baselayer/windshirt combination that is more versatile, and more effective (like one with a hood), or a proper rainshell. if it's raining, i want full protection. if it's not, i want a setup that will wick away sweat from my skin, dry quickly, and keep me comfortable.

btw, a good windshirt weighs 3-4 ounces, is way more breathable than any WPB fabric...

probably makes sense for flyfishing - low physical exertion, and in the water regularly. i have my doubts for hiking/backpacking.

actually - no, those fabrics don't breathe well, certainly not as well as a proper baselayer. they breathe as well as a waterproof layer can, but nothing close to a proper baselayer or windshirt. ever tried climbing a pass with a goretex shell on? it's completely miserable. and i would never consider wearing those fabrics against my skin. that's the point of a baselayer. my guess is the dryfreak shirts only work well when there is little to no significant exertion. if i'm working hard enough to be sweating - that shirt doesn't seem like it would do the job. i greatly prefer a baselayer/windshirt combination that is more versatile, and more effective (like one with a hood), or a proper rainshell. if it's raining, i want full protection. if it's not, i want a setup that will wick away sweat from my skin, dry quickly, and keep me comfortable.

btw, a good windshirt weighs 3-4 ounces, is way more breathable than any WPB fabric...

probably makes sense for flyfishing - low physical exertion, and in the water regularly. i have my doubts for hiking/backpacking.

I guess "well" is a relative term. Anyway, I'll let you know what I think after I've had some time to try it out. It would be nice with a hood though.