Do campfires make people insane?

uintafly

So what's the deal with campers thinking a fire is an excuse to disturb everyone within a quarter mile until 1:00 in the morning? Earlier this spring I finally had to yell at a group in Moab at about 1:30 AM to stfu after they restarted the Led Zeppelin tunes. No trees, surrounded by cliffs and tons of other campers and these guys decide it's time to party deep into the night. Fast forward to this weekend and I am backpacking in the Uintas and a group of 10 or so middle age people decide to camp about 50 yards from us. Not really a big deal, until they decided to scream all night long, including a shitty rendition of the Star Spangled Banner just after midnight. Luckily my 7 year old could sleep through Armageddon, or I would have had to been the cranky old man again. Don't get me wrong, I can throw back some beers and have a good time with the best of them, but there's a time and place. I really don't get the whole, "screw all these other people in tents, I wanna party" attitude that some have. That's the end of the rant, now get off my lawn! :)

lol you know... I think if I didn't want to cause a scene on this forum... I could write a dissertation on campfires and their negative effects... There is just something about them that infuriates me.

It's not the campfire, it's the booze. I like a rowdy night around the fire more than most but I make a point not to camp next to people if we're going to be loud drunks. That said, people are everywhere now and not everyone likes to go to be quiet at 10 on the few nights they might get to sleep outside each year. Tough situation.

I concur...it's the alcohol consumed and there's something about campfires that equals drinking. These people are likely just as loud at home and piss their neighbors off too; it's all about concern ans consideration for fellow man...and these kinds of people don't care no matter where they are. I've dealt with them too

I concur...it's the alcohol consumed and there's something about campfires that equals drinking. These people are likely just as loud at home and piss their neighbors off too; it's all about concern ans consideration for fellow man...and these kinds of people don't care no matter where they are. I've dealt with them too

Yeah, some people are just assholes, but there's a big difference for most people about being at home in normal, every day life vs. finally cutting loose and getting together around a fire, or a lantern, or even a rock. It's not the f'ing campfire people. If you were in that group of friends having a good time, you'd probably be louder than normal too. Fun is inherently loud. Sometimes it gets too loud and it's disrespectful to neighbors. It's a grey line.

I try not to make noise if there's anyone nearby to be irritated (skeet shooters excepted, as they once woke me up out by Dalton Wells skeet shooting near my camp in the middle of the night by flashlight. I think they might've been drinking a little.)

Then there were the two guys with the Beagle who bayed by the campfire while they were actually being pretty quiet. It's a great way to meet people, I guess, bring your naughty little Beagle along. (We had a great talk, actually, as I had to go see if the dog was OK.)

Last edited:
I have definitely been that guy; campfire, booze, and way too loud way too late into the night. And for that I apologize.
When camping with old Army buddies now we try to get further out and away from other people because we know it's going to be loud.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
We now prefer a moderate fire and quiet conversation, but have enjoyed many evenings with friends where things have become a bit loud. It works both ways- if anticipating that things will go into party mode, be respectful and choose an isolated location where you know that no-one will be within range (or- a known party zone!). And- if seeking the sound of crickets only -it would best to be pro-active and avoid the more busy areas.
Now, generators :mad:. Don't get me started on that......

We now prefer a moderate fire and quiet conversation, but have enjoyed many evenings with friends where things have become a bit loud. It works both ways- if anticipating that things will go into party mode, be respectful and choose an isolated location where you know that no-one will be within range (or- a known party zone!). And- if seeking the sound of crickets only -it would best to be pro-active and avoid the more busy areas.
Now, generators :mad:. Don't get me started on that......

We once camped near a guy in the Swell and he had one of those open frame generators cranking away about 24/7. Luckily we were in an RV too so it wasn't quite so bad.

I am probably just being punished by karma for all the times I kept people up in my teens and twenties. But now I'm a cranky guy in his mid thirties who wants a good night sleep. :moses:

Years ago we car camped near a lake. We got there late afternoon with nobody else there, big sprawling campground. In he evening we went down to the lake. Fish were rising out there and I cast a bubble/fly rig out to them, two casts got us two trout. We went back to camp to cook them and found our tent surrounded by a big troop of boy scouts, the rest of the campground totally vacant. I got a fire going, cooked the trout and settled back. As it grew pitch dark the scouts started up a cacophony of noise that was to last until near dawn, an RV pulled up right next to the whole mess and started their generator.

I get up early so the next morning as I made breakfast up to packing up there was a lot of clanging of pots and pans in my camp, loud slamming truck doors and very loud questions called to girlfriend which finally brought asshat scoutmaster out of his tent. He stared at me giving the evil eye so I stepped three paces towards him saying not one thing and stared him down and then went back to my own cacophony of early morning noise. It cuts both ways.

That was the last time we ever stayed in a campground preferring the more remotes wilds and the solitude of those environs. A couple years later, massive forest fires in the high mountains caused so much erosion that the lake was totally filled in and destroyed, never to be a lake again. But we went right on adventuring and cooking our more peaceful dinners under silent stars, reading late night literature, the literature junkies we are and doing our own thing in our own way. The End

Years ago we car camped near a lake. We got there late afternoon with nobody else there, big sprawling campground. In he evening we went down to the lake. Fish were rising out there and I cast a bubble/fly rig out to them, two casts got us two trout. We went back to camp to cook them and found our tent surrounded by a big troop of boy scouts, the rest of the campground totally vacant. I got a fire going, cooked the trout and settled back. As it grew pitch dark the scouts started up a cacophony of noise that was to last until near dawn, an RV pulled up right next to the whole mess and started their generator.

I get up early so the next morning as I made breakfast up to packing up there was a lot of clanging of pots and pans in my camp, loud slamming truck doors and very loud questions called to girlfriend which finally brought asshat scoutmaster out of his tent. He stared at me giving the evil eye so I stepped three paces towards him saying not one thing and stared him down and then went back to my own cacophony of early morning noise. It cuts both ways.

That was the last time we ever stayed in a campground preferring the more remotes wilds and the solitude of those environs. A couple years later, massive forest fires in the high mountains caused so much erosion that the lake was totally filled in and destroyed, never to be a lake again. But we went right on adventuring and cooking our more peaceful dinners under silent stars, reading late night literature, the literature junkies we are and doing our own thing in our own way. The End

I had something similar to that happen outside of Zion on BLM land. Parked in a wide open camping area....thousands of acres...woke up to find 3 vehicles parked directly outside of my door. I wasn't happy. So I cranked up the LeDoux and Brooks and banged my doors and called for the dogs and let my dogs bug them at breakfast. I just felt like it was extremely rude since they were literally parked on my doors step. Passive-agressive? Absolutey!!!

Sometimes my car's security alarm goes off early in the morning after campers keep me up. Try as I might, I just can't get it to stop. I make sure to yell "Sorry" really loud over and over while banging on the hood. :stomp:

But mostly I camp where there's nobody around, works great for me.

Last edited:
I think it is a combination of things. I would agree some may not think about it, but others I believe just do not respect other people enough... maybe I am a cynic but seems there are too many with lack of respect for fellow man.

I make an effort to get further out or further off the beaten path to almost ensure I will not have these kind of "neighbors". Though I do know that if I camp in larger, more popular, easier to reach areas, or ones more prone to car camping or campground style places, I need to expect at least one of these types of fellow campers. Does not mean I do not get irked when I am trying to sleep and they are still going past midnight, but I also cannot be too mad since I opted to stay there. Though I am an early riser so just means I will probably be one very noisy breakfast maker :cool:.

Campfires have this allure that gets people to let loose and get way too drunk. I've seen it. I know how easy it is to tie one on and let loose when you are in the wilderness. I've been there before in the past. But there are a few rules I currently live by when fire and booze is going to be involved on any trip car camping or backpacking. If you want to party, camp away from people. Don't pull up to a group site, have a nightclub at camp, and expect the neighbors to be happy with you in the morning. When backpacking, If I have a lake all to myself, its party time! But when there are other people there, I may stay up late, but I keep the noise down out of respect for other folks. I have also had really inconsiderate and rude campers put up camp right next to me after doing a long hike to get to my spot. I certainly am not an asshole, but if you are going to put up camp right next to my camp, you better be prepared for a whiskey tornado by the fire!

The people who really burn my nerves are the after dark shooters who think its a great time at 1 AM to do some target practice after they have gotten too drunk for their own good. I am all for guns rights, but that is rude and inconsiderate to fire a gun at 1 AM where an entire basin can hear it. Put the gun away and go sleep it off. No one thinks you are cool for firing your weapon at a beer can after midnight.

The people who really burn my nerves are the after dark shooters who think its a great time at 1 AM to do some target practice after they have gotten too drunk for their own good. I am all for guns rights, but that is rude and inconsiderate to fire a gun at 1 AM where an entire basin can hear it. Put the gun away and go sleep it off. No one thinks you are cool for firing your weapon at a beer can after midnight.

Not to mention extremely dangerous. If alcohol is involved the guns aren't touched.