Dirty Devil South

argh that exit from Rock Canyon is spicy!!
every now and again I think about doing this route, but maybe not.

also his exit from Happy C to Big Ridge is somewhat spicy, though I may not have discovered the easiest route. does not get much traffic.

We thru-hiked the complete Allen Dirty Devil South route back in 2000. It was an excellent trip and the basic loop provided several opportunities for some additonal day-hike spurs that we added. The section on top of The Block is one of the finest pieces of southern Utah hiking there is. If anyone has specific questions about this route, please don't hesitate to contact us.

James and Amy

I've been wanting to get to Happy Canyon for a while. Don't have super rope skills so probably the Black Jump is the approach for me. Although that off camber road....

I've been wanting to get to Happy Canyon for a while. Don't have super rope skills so probably the Black Jump is the approach for me. Although that off camber road....
I didn't find it too bad, and I'm a pretty conservative driver

We thru-hiked the complete Allen Dirty Devil South route back in 2000. It was an excellent trip and the basic loop provided several opportunities for some additonal day-hike spurs that we added. The section on top of The Block is one of the finest pieces of southern Utah hiking there is. If anyone has specific questions about this route, please don't hesitate to contact us.

James and Amy
I’m looking to do this route in April. I attempted with my wife in 2020. The climb out of Hatch Canyon was too much exposure for my partner. I’m not sure I was on the correct route. Any advice for that section?

Attachments

• IMG_4832.png
    IMG_4832.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 13

James and Amy

Jason,
It has been a number of years since we did this, so my memory could be faulty. Your published track shows you tried to leave Hatch in the correct area per Steve Allen's route. We climbed out in the same general area but perhaps not on the exact route that your tried. We used Steve's route description, and, as expected, found it to be useful and accurate. As to difficulty, we had a short rope with us and perhaps I belayed my wife and/or used it to haul packs, but am not certain. I do know that in remote regions, I have never pushed my then less than average rock climbing skills to their limit. Anyway, a safe retreat is a lot better than being recovered by a rescue team so you made the right choice not to proceed. If you do go back, a day hike up Fiddler Cove Canyon to its final pour-off was quite excellent and we thought well worth the time.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Stephanie B Dirty Devil River Impassible at Poison Springs Canyon Off Road 0
Nick Dirty Devil Miner's Route Trip Planning 0
regehr accessing the Dirty Devil from Sam's Mesa Trip Planning 7
regehr Dirty Devil Packrafting in March General Discussion 4
K I am hoping to do a 6-8 day packrafting trip on the Dirty Devil in early April. Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
T Dirty Devil Backback ideas Trip Planning 2
Ross Dirty Devil and Happy Canyon Hiking & Camping 14
Kullaberg63 Lower Dirty Devil Backpacking 7
George_Washington_Hayduke Dirty Devil "Bikepackrafting" Loop - November 2016 On The Water 2
George_Washington_Hayduke Dirty Devil Bikerafting Canyoneeering Loop: S. Fork Robbers Roost to No Mans Canyon On The Water 0
westy Wonderful weather along the Dirty Devil Hiking & Camping 0
o2bav8 Dirty Devil River - Slot Canyons Hiking & Camping 7
deanhill Dirty Hayduke. A packraft loop on the Dirty Devil. On The Water 2
D Invite Dirty Devil - Burr to Poison Spring Packraft March 12-13 Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Kullaberg63 Angel to Burr. Dirty Devil packraft/backpack Backpacking 11
steve Invite Dirty Devil Packrafting/Float Trip April 11 Meet Up (Members Only) 14
mattvogt7 Packrafting the Dirty Devil, March 2014 On The Water 12
regehr Dirty Devil up to nearly 10,000 CFS General Discussion 4
Mike K Floating the Dirty Devil Trip Planning 12
Nick Backpacking The Dirty Devil Trip Planning 37
RyanP Sawyer Squeeze questions: how to pre-filter, and recommended dirty-water bag? Gear 30
Dave Dip in the Dirty On The Water 9
gloo canon err 01 - lens contact dirty Photography 4
Nethos Devil's Path, Catskills, September 5-7 2020 Backpacking 3
blueeyes Devil's Garden, Moab Hiking & Camping 5
D John Muir Trail: Devil's Postpile to Horseshoe Meadow Backpacking 7
Scott Chandler Devil's Garden Hiking & Camping 2
natylka Sunset Devil's Castle Hike-July 2014 Hiking & Camping 0
Kullaberg63 Devil's Slide to Horsethief Canyon; a northern Maze district packraft loop Backpacking 9
Udink Devil's Garden Hiking & Camping 16
Artemus The Devil and a Flash Flood Backpacking 20
IntrepidXJ Devil's Kitchen to Peekaboo Hiking & Camping 3
IntrepidXJ Cyclone Canyon & The Devil's Pocket Hiking & Camping 3
Kullaberg63 Suggestions for Escalante east of river, south of Choprock Trip Planning 4
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
J South Crandall Creek and the Hoodoos Wyoming and Yellowstone? Trip Planning 3
RockyMntCol Trip Planning Younts Peak / South Fork Yellowstone Trip Planning 12
F Thorofare/South Boundary/Wolverine Creek Trip Planning 2
balzaccom South America Everything Else 1
BobFink Yellowstone South Entrance to Fox Creek via Basin Creek Cutoff - Labor Day 2022 Trip Reports 4
scatman South Ridge of City Creek Canyon - January 28, 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
SteveR Coyote Buttes South- New Daily Permit Process Trip Planning 8
wsp_scott Big South Fork Bikepacking Backpacking 1
S Driving to poverty flats (South Coyote Buttes) on AWD Trip Planning 11
P Yellowstone--Heart Lake to South Entrance Backpacking 13
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains South Meadow Creek Off Road 1
BJett Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area Packraft/Backpack Loop (TN) Backpacking 6
balzaccom South by Southwest from Napa Hiking & Camping 4
Janice Vermillion Cliffs Trip - Part 2 - White Pocket & Coyote Buttes South Hiking & Camping 7
Janice The Wave - and SO MUCH MORE! (Coyote Buttes North, South, White Pocket, Buckskin, Condors, Bighorns...) - Part 1 Hiking & Camping 14