Desolation Trail Work

balzaccom

Now that I am an official part of the volunteer team for the Desolation Wilderness, I am supposed to spend a few days actually doing something there--as if I needed a reason to spend more time in the mountains!

So I spent that last two days hiking up to Maud and Gertrude Lakes, cleaning up the trails as I want. I made sure that campsites were regulation size, shape and location, and even spent a little time chatting with hikers at the trailhead, just making myself available to them if they had questions or concerns.
Of course, I did get to spend two days out on some of the most beautiful trails in the Sierra...

file.jpg

And I hiked some great trails, met some great people, and even watched a Search and Rescue operation...from the trailhead.

And did I mention it was beautiful?

file.jpg

In all, it was good fun. I spent a few hours chatting with hikers at the Twin Lakes Trailhead,, where I met and talked with more than a hundred hikers. I moved more rocks and branches than I could count, and was thoroughly impressed with the visitors to Desolation Wilderness, who left very little except some footprints.

As usual, here's the link to all the photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/sUMpzAgjVzyRdi9E7

And a link to the full trip report on our blog: https://www.backpackthesierra.com/post/desolation-trail-work

LarryBoy

Hiker Trash
I was just in the Desolation, though on a different trail. Was that why there were choppers flying overhead? Thought it was just bozos not respecting the wilderness halo.

balzaccom

Here's an update: I spent another two days in Desolation Wilderness, taking out a few more campfire rings, knocking down some more camp furniture, picking up some more trash, and generally trying to Leave Less Trace than there was before.

If you're interested in exactly what that means, there are more details (and more photos) here; https://www.backpackthesierra.com/post/volunteer-trail-work

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 3 - 'Desolation Valley' to Halls Lake Backpacking 15
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 2 - Cirque of the Towers to 'Desolation Valley' Backpacking 28
JuddOutdoors Hike To Grass Lake //Desolation Wilderness //Lake Tahoe Basin Hiking & Camping 0
seekinglost Desolation Canyon, Utah... Any info? Trip Planning 24
Outdoors24 Desolation Canyon Fee Proposal General Discussion 1
neiloro Invite Desolation Canyon River/Rafting Trip - July 3-8 Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Ugly Mill D - Fresh White Milkshake Covered Desolation Winter Sports 15
Nick Desolation On The Water 11
George_Washington_Hayduke 8 Days in Desolation Canyon On The Water 2
balzaccom Desolation Wilderness: Grouse, Hemlock, Smith, Twin and Island Lakes Backpacking 2
Ounce Desolation Canyon 2015 On The Water 8
klank Desolation Wilderness - Summer Solstice 2014 Backpacking 5
Nurrgle Desolation Canyon General Discussion 1
JBG Water Beta 2022 - Highline Trail Trip Planning 6
kwc Backpacking on the Northville Placid Trail (NPT) Backpacking 13
4 Centennial Trail SD information Trip Planning 1
The Trout Whisperer I took on Hotter than H£#§ !!! Hotwater Trail in Texas… Hiking & Camping 19
seekinglost Introducing the Mojave-Sonoran Trail: A NEW 625-mile Winter Thru-Hiking Route Trip Reports 4
balzaccom Help on the trail--literally General Discussion 7
Mikjik86 4 Days Backpacking Grand Teton Wilderness/Teton Crest Trail - Wyoming, July, 2021 Backpacking 0
priz1234 John Muir Trail 2021 Backpacking 8
seekinglost 1000 Mile Nevada Thru Hike on the Basin and Range Trail Trip Reports 14
chandlerwest Bryce Canyon - Under The Rim Trail Hiking & Camping 0
scatman North Pitchstone Trail, Headwaters of Ouzel Creek, Bechler River and Mr. Bubbles(?) - Yellowstone National Park - September 13, 2021 Backpacking 36
TractorDoc Off Trail to Yellowstone's Aster Lake and Upper Witch Creek -- September 13, 2021 Hiking & Camping 13
B In Government Trail and out Water Canyon Trip Planning 3
Janice Winds - Bears Ears Trail? Trip Planning 3
la_alpinista Thoughts on potential off trail routes in Cloud Peak Wilderness CPW Trip Planning 1
Noun Sequitur Jemez River, Las Conchas Trail and Beyond Hiking & Camping 1
futurafree Colorado off-trail ideas? Trip Planning 8
Mountain Wanderer Hiking the Idaho Centennial Trail in the Great Burn Backpacking 0
Noun Sequitur Magdalena Mountains, Mesa Trail Loop Hiking & Camping 3
Bob Morris North Inlet Trail Trip Planning 3
J Uinta Highline Trail Shuttle Trip Planning 0
JBG Water on the Highline Trail - 2021 Trip Planning 2
C Coyote Gulch via Chimney rock trail Trip Planning 0
SirDonB Echo Lake via the Overlook Mt Trail Hiking & Camping 0
kwc A futile attempt at The Long Trail Vermont Backpacking 4
R Mt. Timpanogas trail conditions Trip Planning 3
J Off-Trail Routes in Montana or ID Trip Planning 10
fiber Off-trail backpacking partners Meet Up (Members Only) 7
kwc Chilkoot Trail trip report (an oldie but a goodie) Backpacking 1
Yvonne Sky Rim Trail, Yellowstone, August 6, 2020 Hiking & Camping 15
BackpackingtheSierras Republic Pass Trail North Absaroka into Yellowstone Cache Creek and Lamar River Trip Planning 1
napatony13 Trinity Alps-Grizzly Peak Trail Hiking & Camping 0
G Zion trail report please Trip Planning 6
R Boulder Mail Trail to Death Hollow Trip Planning 1
A Teton Crest Trail Trip Planning 3
stretch Idaho Centennial Trail to Oregon Desert Trail Backpacking 23
IntrepidXJ Diane’s Birthday Ride on the White Rim Trail Everything Else 3