Desert Canyon/Water Shoes?

Mikjik86

I am planning more trips to Canyon Country this year and usually wear Chacos, and if necessary socks to prevent blisters.

I am looking to pick up some waterproof/trail runner/hiking shoes that are comfortable in water/sand and dry quickly.

What is your favorite choice for this terrain?

Also sorry if there are multiple relevant posts I did not find.

my favorite choice is regular trail runners, I don't think waterproof footgear is usually a great tradeoff in the desert. when I get to water I either get my shoes wet (they seem to dry pretty quickly if you take off socks first), go barefoot, or switch into these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F4PK96U/?tag=backcountrypo-20
btw these things make good camp shoes, even in nasty weather if combined with neoprene socks

Agree. I'd get a lightweight pair of trail runners. If you are planning to spend a lot of time in camp, you can always bring a pair of Crocs so you can walk around camp without having to keep your wet shoes on.

For longer wet canyon hikes I have a pair of trail runner-like Merrell water shoes, but for multi-day stuff or terrain with a combo of water, sand and slickrock I use straight up trail runners. Either way look for shoes with sticky soles and a protective toe box. +1 to neoprene socks in the colder months.

I only use waterproof shoes/boots if there's significant snow.

I'm trying Astrals right now. They were recommended by some of the outfitter guides by Zion. They are really lightweight and sticky. They are actually a boating shoe.

I find something quick drying much more favorable to waterproof in a canyon situation. La Sportiva Wildcat is my shoe of choice the past few seasons.

Definitely quick-drying rather than waterproof. Waterproof can sometimes be too hot, depending on brand and time of year you go. I've been on an Ahnu Sugarpine Air Mesh kick in recent years. Love them. I also have their waterproof boots, which are great in the winter.

i'd go with some light weight trail running shoes too and toss in a pair of flip flops for camp.

I've loved the sole stickiness, support, and durability of the Scarpa Crux and Zen. For feel on friction the lighter Crux and with a multiday pack I love the firmer midsole of the Zen. Once the snow is gone they're great in the alpine, too.

These are not waterproof but check out SKinners: https://skinners.cc/ I bought them on Kickstarter a few years ago and they are great.

I recently used them while Kayak Camping along Catalina Island. They were great to have on while kayaking and jumping in and out of the kayak because it was a really rocky coast.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Pahranagat, Desert NWR, and Arrow Canyon Range to start Nov. 2021 Desert time Hiking & Camping 6
stevecochranephotography Desert Winter Run Off - Big Dominguez Canyon Hiking & Camping 2
regehr desert plants that indicate former inhabitation General Discussion 15
S Desert Hiking Footwear Gear 22
Ugly Winter Desert Wanderings 2021-2022 Backpacking 12
SteveR Delaying Winter-A November Desert Trip. Hiking & Camping 6
WasatchWill A Trip to the Desert to Escape the Summer Heat Backpacking 9
J More fine and aesthetic desert summits scrambles Dec. 1-3, 2020 Hiking & Camping 2
J Footlose and unfocused in the Mojave and Sonoran Desert Dec. 8-10, 2020 Hiking & Camping 2
J On to towers of the Sonoran Desert with friends; Nov 21-30, 2020 Hiking & Camping 6
J N. Mojave Desert Rambles and Scrambles (start of 40 desert days) Nov. 14-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 4
stretch Idaho Centennial Trail to Oregon Desert Trail Backpacking 23
Stephanie B Our Intro to the Red Desert, September 14 - 16, 2020 Hiking & Camping 4
andyjaggy Bikepacking West Desert Trip Planning 16
SteveR Desert Roadtrip 2019 Hiking & Camping 4
TrektheWorld Salt Creek - Needles or other options in the Utah desert Trip Planning 4
Jackson Walking Along a Nice Creek in the Desert Backpacking 28
regehr touring bike for the desert? Gear 9
canadug Spring Break in the Mojave Desert Hiking & Camping 4
J Desert mylar General Discussion 14
JDWalters Access to Escalante River/Lake Powell near Cathedral in the Desert Trip Planning 7
DrNed Ideas For 1 Night Backpacking In Utah Desert? Trip Planning 10
Titans 3 week Arizona road trip: Tucson Desert Rain & Hiking SAGUARO NP Hiking & Camping 1
blueeyes West Desert Bikepacking Everything Else 13
IntrepidXJ Desert or Mountains? General Discussion 43
westy Anywhere, Mojave Desert Hiking & Camping 3
Wanderlust073 Winter in the desert Gear 16
TrektheWorld Meetup in the desert Thanksgiving week? Meet Up (Members Only) 1
SteveR Desert Roadtrip 2017 Hiking & Camping 13
Perry West Utah Desert Hiking Opportunities? Trip Planning 7
Perry New to Desert Hiking... Any Advice? General Discussion 8
SteveR Canucks in the desert-an October Utah trip Hiking & Camping 8
BryanG Anza-Borrego Desert Part - 2 Hiking & Camping 0
BryanG Anza-Borrego Desert Part - 1 Hiking & Camping 4
Scott Chandler A Return to Desert: Little Wild Horse Hiking & Camping 7
Vegan.Hiker Desert noobs visit Zion and the North Rim Hiking & Camping 28
Nick Desert Magazine 1963: Lake Powell General Discussion 10
Hurakan Dogs In The Desert. General Discussion 11
Bob Cathedral of the Desert Canyoneering 1
Kullaberg63 Clark Mountain - a remote California desert peak. Hiking & Camping 6
Bob Cathedral of the Desert, Clear Creek - Top Access Resource Discussions 5
hatchcanyon Cathedral in the Desert On The Water 17
Christian A Desert that's as sculptured as the Colorado Plateau General Discussion 2
Nick Cathedral in the Desert On The Water 18
Dave Anza Borrego Desert, October 2013 Off Road 10
Nick Invite New Years Eve in the desert Meet Up (Members Only) 40
gloo The Desert Rat General Discussion 0
Dave Lower South Desert, Capitol Reef Trip Planning 0
Momoegy White Desert, EGYPT "Stars time lapse" Hiking & Camping 13
Dave Cathedral Valley - Middle Desert Wash Trip Planning 11