Deseret peak /ridgeline

Johnpaulj

Hi All, I have gone up to run Deseret Peak loop multiple times and always want to continue on past the link up at the fork to come down and attempt traversing the ridge line. I am having trouble locating other trails or access roads I may be able to link up to to stash a bike or get picked up further north. Has anyone ever attempted this or heard about it?

regehr

I haven't, but are you talking about following the ridge north from the loop, or south?

regehr

I am hoping to go north from the loop and link up to a road or trail at the northern end of the ridgeline.
Cool. It looks pretty straightforward to come out at N Willow Canyon. Pushing all the way to Timpie Valley might be a really long day. I think there's plenty of road access to make this work out.

Johnpaulj

Cool. It looks pretty straightforward to come out at N Willow Canyon. Pushing all the way to Timpie Valley might be a really long day. I think there's plenty of road access to make this work out.
Great, thank's!. I was also looking at west canyon Trail head. Do you know if there is intelligible trail to the ridgline from N Willow Canyon? Also where is Timpie? I am good to cover even over 50K on foot if needed to a stashed bike or car.

regehr

Great, thank's!. I was also looking at west canyon Trail head. Do you know if there is intelligible trail to the ridgline from N Willow Canyon? Also where is Timpie? I am good to cover even over 50K on foot if needed to a stashed bike or car.

Timpie is the valley way up at the N end of the Stansbury range, it has a network of roads and tracks, you could for example stash a bike at the location in the attached kmz file. This is 15 miles from Des peak as the crow flies so it would be a long day for sure, but definitely doable.

N willow has a decent trail network. There's a trail dropping off the ridge from the 8250' saddle that is a ways north of N and S Willow peaks. I don't know anything about it (just looking on google earth) but it looks super easy.

Attachments

• timpie.kmz
    746 bytes · Views: 10

Johnpaulj

Timpie is the valley way up at the N end of the Stansbury range, it has a network of roads and tracks, you could for example stash a bike at the location in the attached kmz file. This is 15 miles from Des peak as the crow flies so it would be a long day for sure, but definitely doable.

N willow has a decent trail network. There's a trail dropping off the ridge from the 8250' saddle that is a ways north of N and S Willow peaks. I don't know anything about it (just looking on google earth) but it looks super easy.
WOW! This is great info! I really appreciate it, I have wanted to do this stretch for 2 years and always look longingly north just as I make my way down the fork back to loop campground.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
regehr Deseret Peak West Twin Couloir Hiking & Camping 14
Udink Deseret Peak Hiking & Camping 11
Udink Invite Deseret Peak, Sunday 6/24/2018 Meet Up (Members Only) 10
Perry Deseret Peak - October 15, 2017 Hiking & Camping 9
regehr Deseret Peak conditions Trip Planning 2
regehr Deseret Peak Hiking & Camping 10
uintahiker Deseret Peak: Fall of 2011 Hiking & Camping 3
LarryBoy Critique the Route: Deseret Hiking Route Trip Planning 11
mike_offerman Deseret and Nebo conditions Trip Planning 3
la_alpinista Thoughts on potential off trail routes in Cloud Peak Wilderness CPW Trip Planning 0
scatman Lone Peak - July 14, 2021 Hiking & Camping 28
Bob Yellowstone - Electric Peak visit Backpacking 2
scatman Lewiston Peak - May 15, 2021 Hiking & Camping 7
LarryBoy Looping the Highline: Gilbert Peak Edition Backpacking 13
scatman Peak 6551 - Lakeside Mountains - April 17, 2021 Hiking & Camping 7
napatony13 Trinity Alps-Grizzly Peak Trail Hiking & Camping 0
scatman Lookout Peak - January 16, 2021 Hiking & Camping 10
scatman Frary Peak - December 5, 2020 Hiking & Camping 10
scatman Church Fork Peak - November 28, 2020 Hiking & Camping 2
scatman Grandeur Peak, The West Slope Approach - October 31, 2020 Hiking & Camping 7
scatman Naomi Peak - September 5, 2020 Hiking & Camping 2
andyjaggy Deep Creek Lakes and Windriver Peak Trip Planning 6
Curt Visiting (Part of) the Lake District of Cloud Peak Wilderness Backpacking 15
misSOULa Into the Winds: Titcomb Basin and Gannett Peak Attempt Backpacking 6
scatman Grandview Peak - July 24, 2020 Hiking & Camping 11
scatman Millvue Peak - July 3, 2020 Hiking & Camping 2
Mike K Kings Peak Via Garfield Basin Backpacking 18
DrNed Water Sources McKee Draw to Leidy Peak Trip Planning 12
scatman Ensign Peak to Grandview Peak Attempt Hiking & Camping 10
ram Colchuck Peak 7/10-12/2019 Backpacking 3
Udink Kimble and Turner Peak Hiking & Camping 9
J Death Valley Natl Pk Ibex Peak, Jubliee Mtn, Virgin Springs summits Dec. 2, 2019 Hiking & Camping 0
scatman Tabby's Peak, Cedar Mountains - November 19, 2019 Hiking & Camping 10
Yvonne Hiking Avalanche Peak, Yellowstone Hiking & Camping 4
Curt Lost Twin Lakes, Cloud Peak Wilderness, Wyoming Backpacking 16
scatman Grebe Lake, Headwaters of Lava Creek and Observation Peak, Yellowstone National Park - September 13, 2019 Backpacking 7
chandlerwest Great Basin National Park - Wheeler Peak Hiking & Camping 13
fossana Delano Peak the even longer way (Tushar Mountains, UT) Hiking & Camping 14
NorthwestWanderer Uncle visits Washington (Ptarmigan Ridge, Slate Peak & Wing Lake) Backpacking 4
fossana Delano Peak the long way (Tushar Mountains, UT) Hiking & Camping 14
peakbagger1971 Wilson Peak and Mt Powell Trip Planning 3
Ehouston24 Uintas Loop (Red Castle/Kings Peak) Trip Planning 14
TeamJenkins17 Peak Refuel Gear 19
NorthwestWanderer 6 Day backpacking trip in Glacier Peak Wilderness (3 days of off trail route) Backpacking 9
NorthwestWanderer Poet Ridge - Glacier Peak Wilderness Hiking & Camping 3
Perry Any Thoughts on the New Peak Design Travel Tripod? Photography 5
Perry Looking at new trail runners: Altra Lone Peak or Hoka Stinson ATR? Gear 22
SteveR Still Winter- Little Crowfoot Peak Winter Sports 4
Hawk Utah : Lone Peak : This Weekend? Trip Planning 11
fossana Peak 5146, aka Broken Arrow (Arrow Canyon Wilderness, NV) Hiking & Camping 1