Dehydrated smoked salmon

Nick

-
Trying something new today for food on my upcoming trip. Store bought smoked salmon dried out in my food dehydrator. Anyone ever tried it? It's been in for about 2 hours and so far so good. Couldn't find a lot of info online because of all the mixed results from smoking OR dehydrating but what I did find was very positive.

A few different kinds...

IMG_2796.jpg

IMG_2795.jpg

hmmm looks good, but scary..

It's WAY good! The really thin pieces are done now. Definitely on the flavorful side of things but very good.:) Looking forward to seeing how the batch that was thicker and more slab-like turns out.

That looks way good. I think after this last trip to the Winds I am convinced on backpacking without a stove. I might have to try this next time I bring home some kokanee.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Some lessons learned... from Costco, I got a package of the Kirkland smoked salmon, two packs joined together for about $18, 12 oz a piece. That stuff is way too salty after drying and the thickness varied a lot. Good but not great. Meanwhile, the pack I bought that was a 12 oz for around $8 that had three different flavors, imported from Norway, was damn good. I'll have to snap a pic when I go to get more but I think it had a regular, dill and pepper or something like that. They're the pieces you see with a black edge. They were more uniformly slices and are much better dried out. And they're cheaper than the Kirkland stuff. Woot! I'm going to dry out more of that for my next trip and now that I see how easy it is I think I'll try drying some regular salmon marinated in a brine. Really good stuff for those of us on the no-stove and/or no-gluten plan.

My first thought would be SALTY. I see you found that out we have been on a paleo-ish plan for over a year and everything is salty to the taste now. I bet when you make your own brine and cure it will be great.

My first thought would be SALTY. I see you found that out we have been on a paleo-ish plan for over a year and everything is salty to the taste now. I bet when you make your own brine and cure it will be great.

Yeah, super salty on the Kirkland brand but still pretty tasty if you mix it up with something else, in my case I either had a beer or a glass of wine in hand (it's Sunday!). Good to hear I'm not the only one on the paleo-ish lifestyle. :)

Yeah we ventured down the road of paleo . I might have to give up beer and just have whiskey next. I have looked at some of the smoked meats and the salt is crazy. Last night we made nicoise salad with the whole foods albacore wild tuna with no added salt it was great. the life-style is good but you have pick your battles with it.

Yeah we ventured down the road of paleo . I might have to give up beer and just have whiskey next. I have looked at some of the smoked meats and the salt is crazy. Last night we made nicoise salad with the whole foods albacore wild tuna with no added salt it was great. the life-style is good but you have pick your battles with it.

I've found that regular old lager beer doesn't bother me much. Wheat bears and hefeweisen on the other hand are bad news. Whiskey is always good. :D

Trying something new today for food on my upcoming trip. Store bought smoked salmon dried out in my food dehydrator. Anyone ever tried it? It's been in for about 2 hours and so far so good. Couldn't find a lot of info online because of all the mixed results from smoking OR dehydrating but what I did find was very positive.

A few different kinds...

View attachment 3947

View attachment 3946

How long did you dehydrate your smoked salmon for? I'm thinking about using some smoked salmon I have in the fridge!

A few different kinds...

View attachment 3947

View attachment 3946
Was it crunchy like a chip or a jerky like texture?