Deer Canyon, Cedar Mesa

gnwatts

Last weekend my friend Mike and I decided to skip town and explore a small side canyon just to the south of the Main fork of Deer Canyon, which empties into Grand Gulch down from the Government trail.

I had used the main fork of Deer Canyon as an exit route 10 years ago, as a friend and I had accessed Grand Gulch via the Government trail to explore down canyon past Collins Spring, but we got caught in a rain storm for a day and a half, and never reached Collins Spring as the river was rising (we got pretty tired and cold crossing the stream every 15 minutes). So we exited at Deer Canyon and made our way back to our car at the Government trailhead, completing a pretty cool accidental loop hike.

So anyway, this time I decided to do this little canyon with a car camp, as we are out of shape and wanted something mellow. We drove past the last turn off to Government trail on Slickhorn Road, maybe a mile, and car camped. The weather was cloudy and gloomy that first night, cleared in the middle of the night then clouded up again at sunrise. We started our day hike after a leisurely breakfast, working our way down a small side canyon at the head of our intended route.

A view of our camp site, with the small side canyon just beyond:

I0000CXvHSG1HKsY.jpg

A few views from a wake up hike before breakfast (Slickhorn Road is visible extending to the horizon, looking east):

I0000hdkIwkIgL.I.jpg

I0000Q4ZIuTikrSw.jpg

Our route skirted the little side canyon to the left, then down into the main canyon:

I00008kRslCmmqQM.jpg

We soon found this small ruin, an easy walk up from the bottom of the canyon. We found many pot shards, many of them undisturbed just laying about, although these appeared to have been uncovered but not placed, so we were very careful as to where we walked:

I00008KVvxMYlKXc.jpg

I0000jsLtUKPwfJ8.jpg

I00006k3JiynkJKQ.jpg

We then started hiking on the shelf above the canyon bottom, really enjoying the rock formations:

I000080WdKkYssPg.jpg

I00008kPEsWWNNyk.jpg

The highlight of the trip was discovering some pot shards high up on a shelf, just laying about, undisturbed for the last 800 years or so. They certainly did not appear to be placed there or on display (the largest piece to the right was about 4" across):

I0000cA.EY0h5ddI.jpg

I0000UCioaWmqiaU.jpg

We continued down for a few leisurely hours, the walking easy with no obstacles, until we reached the pour off into the main fork of Deer Canyon, the one I had ventured up a decade ago.

This was a fun little hike (maybe 6 miles round trip), and I believe it can be extended into the main canyon below by exiting before the pour off to the right LDC (but I am not sure about this). We wanted to day hike into the Hat Flat area to the south of our car camp the next day, but it started to rain. For another day.....

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
J Grand Canyon NP Backpack Pt. 2 Deer Cyn explore-->Esplanade-->Indian Hollow Tr. April 18-23, 2021 Backpacking 10
J Grand Canyon NP Backpack Pt. 1 Thunder River Tr.-->Esplanade-->Tapeats-->Deer. April 18-23, 2021 Backpacking 13
fossana Deer Creek out-and-back (Grand Canyon NP) Hiking & Camping 5
cmgz Grand Canyon-Bill Hall Trail to Thunder River and Deer Creek Backpacking 6
TIMP Grand Canyon Bill Hall Trailhead to Deer Creek Falls and Thunder Spring General Discussion 3
TrektheWorld Red Deer Lake & Beyond Backpacking 10
B Thorofare loop from Deer Creek Trip Planning 20
NorthwestWanderer Washington - 4x4 to Bear Lake & Little Deer Pass Off Road 0
Ugly Snowy Dawn Traverse on Deer Ridge Hiking & Camping 6
S Deer Creek into the Thorofare Trip Planning 6
Eugene Monument Point to Thunder River and Deer Creek Backpacking 9
J Dayhikes GSENM, Cap Reef, Behind the Rocks: Deer Cr, Tanks, Sheets Gulch, Moab Rim Apr. 4 to 8, 2018 Hiking & Camping 0
Jackson Question about Deer Creek Trip Planning 2
Mr. Me Deer Creek to Dry Creek Trail #43 Everything Else 3
natylka Bald Mountain at Deer Park-July 2014 Hiking & Camping 0
Howells Outdoors XC Ski at Southern Utah's Deer Valley Winter Sports 3
Nick Deer Creek Ice-Off On The Water 12
Howells Outdoors Cross-country Ski at Deer Valley Hiking & Camping 8
J Reflection Canyon Trip Planning 3
fossana Found: prescription glasses near the top of the Flipoff Canyon approach General Discussion 5
Spud Salt Creek Canyon question Trip Planning 11
B Buckskin gulch/Pariah canyon Carpool Trip Planning 0
TractorDoc Paintbrush Canyon / Cascade Canyon Loop -- Grand Teton NP September 11, 2023 Hiking & Camping 9
Kullaberg63 15 day canyon route Backpacking 13
Titans Tricked in the canyon! Hiking & Camping 5
TrailScot Dayhiking the Under-the-Rim Trail - Bryce Canyon NP - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
M Mee/Knowles Canyon Loop, Grand Junction Colorado Backpacking 4
OldBill Short hike at the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania Hiking & Camping 1
S Paria Canyon- Whitehouse to Lees Ferry, Oct 18 to 21, 2023 Trip Reports 0
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
A Bowdie Canyon Trip Planning 10
TheMountainRabbit Silas Canyon (Popo Agie Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 3
J Paria Canyon - One Day Trail Trip Planning 10
Bob The New Grand Canyon Trip Planning 1
WhozWutz Invite Horse Canyon Needles Meet Up (Members Only) 1
BJett Part 3 - Tour de Canyon Country. Lower Escalante Loop Hiking & Camping 0
BJett Part 2 - Tour de Canyon Country. Swell Times Hiking & Camping 0
BJett Part 1 - Tour de Canyon Country. Cedar Mesa. Hiking & Camping 8
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek via Woodruff Canyon, April 2023 Backpacking 9
F Grand Canyon hermits rest to granite rapids to bright angel Trip Planning 10
gnwatts Stillwater Canyon On The Water 11
shredhiker Kings Canyon July 2022 Kearsarge, Rae, & Sixty Lakes Backpacking 8
J Info needed: Bown's Canyon, Long Canyon Trip Planning 8
Gretchen Millward Cheesebox Canyon, Oct. 2022 Backpacking 14