Death Valley road closures post flooding

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Trip Reports
Thread starter #1
For those heading to Death Valley in the near future, there was major flash flooding this week and now there are many road closures:

In a typical March, the Furnace Creek rain gauge in Death Valley records 0.3 inches of rainfall. In a 24-hour span running from Tuesday to Wednesday, the same gauge measured 0.84 inches. In the surrounding mountains, the National Weather Service estimates 1 to 1.5 inches fell.
source: SF Gate/NWS

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Miya

Because I am able.
Trip Reports
Oh darn! I had just decided on my way home that I would go to Death Valley on the 17th...
Well I will just make sure to check conditions before I go.
Thanks for sharing!

Trip Reports
  • Mosaic Canyon Road: CLOSED until 6/30/19 due to road construction.
  • Westside Road: CLOSED due to storm damage
  • Big Pine / Death Valley Road: CLOSED
  • Titus Canyon Road: CLOSED due to storm damage

• South Pass and North Pass into Saline Valley: CLOSED due to recent storms.
  • Eureka Valley Road: CLOSED
  • Cottonwood-Marble Road: CLOSED due to storm damage
  • Mustard Canyon: CLOSED due to storm damage
  • 20 Mule Team Canyon Road: CLOSED due to storm damage
  • Salt Creek Road: CLOSED due to storm damage
  • Natural Bridge Road: CLOSED, no access due to Badwater Road closure
  • Devils Golf Course: CLOSED, no access due to Badwater Road closure
Wow, that's alot of access. With a bit of planning and walking a little extra walking from pavement still lots to do there. There's a great way to extend the Cottonwood Marble Loop by one day with a nice descent of N Fk Lemoigne Cany, beginning and ending from Emigrant Campground at the hwy for example. Much to do off of Hwy 178 and Scotty's Castle Road (paved portion along the Grapevines). I got used to it owning a Honda Civic.