Dayhike to Gothic Basin & Foggy Pass

Had a great day hike to Gothic Basin & Foggy Pass. 12 Mile RT 3400ft Elevation gain with a netgain of 3700ft.

This place would be great for an overnight-er during the middle of the week due to the crowds. However coming down back to the trail head from the basin with a full pack would kinda suck on the knees. Very rocky. Not to mention there is a high chance your vehicle will be broken into overnight. Granite Falls, the nearby town, doesn't have the best reputation and there have been tons of break ins on the Mountain Loop Highway. Would absolutely recommend for a day hike though.

Once i got to Foggy Lake I did some off trail scrambling up to Foggy Pass. Which was kind of a boring let down but there looked to be a cool flat spot for 1 tent and a good angle of attack for Gothic Peak. It looks like you can easily descend from Foggy and ascend Headlee near Vesper Peak but I wouldn't sacrifice the slog personally. The mountains in that direction aren't the most inspiring compared to the ones off of highway 20 or 2. Still was kind of worth it for the workout and to look into the heartless steep forests where that lady went missing last year.
wc3Y26l.jpg

Some cascades on the way up.
ckne7Z5.jpg

It gets "steep" after this waterfall.
Otb0Nvr.jpg

mjmB6tX.jpg

xDItPu5.jpg

Almost to Gothic Basin
kN11oL0.jpg

Made it into Gothic Basin! Time to drop down to those tarns then climb right.
DWvjRaj.jpg

W97aTKb.jpg
ghfuWL8.jpg
WZlHEge.jpg
IcToExs.jpg
T8UORTn.jpg

Cool little ladder falls.
OqAp6ko.jpg
6ORaW0r.jpg

ytFx21H.jpg
JEpRsd4.jpg

Del Campo Peak
aVAiALY.jpg

DxKxuVz.jpg

gYUaXxA.jpg

Foggy Lake
Z1qqo7h.jpg

Gothic Peak

BCdz4gG.jpg

Other side of the lake. Headed off trail to Foggy Pass. Skree scramble underwayyy
qad6yIT.jpg

Almost to the top.
F2uXDh9.jpg

MADE IT!
tQPP0Mn.jpg

....3/10 pay off :( View leaves a lot to be desired. But yeah, down in that valley is where the lady last year went missing.
ULB01Et.jpg

At least the view right below Gothic peak was cool.

Headed back down I almost dropped my GPS off a cliff. That would have made me sad.

Why is everything so beautiful out of California? Is everyone editing their photos to look like this or places like this are real...? Lol So beautiful and clear!
I know of some high break-in THs and the rangers just advise me to empty out my car and leave the windows open before hiking... *forehead slap*.
Thanks for sharing!!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
SteveR Big Spring-Elephant Canyon dayhike. With free bonus vacation pix! Hiking & Camping 13
J Mount Nutt Wilderness Cave Spring Area dayhike Nov 26, 2019 Hiking & Camping 0
J Havasu Wilderness and NWR, AZ. Nov 27, 2019 dayhike exploration Hiking & Camping 0
N Turpin Meadows Dayhike Oct 1st? Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Jackson A Family Dayhike in the GYE Hiking & Camping 3
danger02ward Druid Arch/Chesler Park Dayhike Hiking & Camping 5
Tarp Boy Looking for Shuttle service for Uintas Granddaddy basin trip Trip Planning 0
S Titcomb Basin week itinerary options? Trip Planning 11
DrNed Naturalist Basin: Blue Lake to Shaler Lake? Trip Planning 12
BobFink Yellowstone South Entrance to Fox Creek via Basin Creek Cutoff - Labor Day 2022 Trip Reports 4
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
P Shoshone Geyser Basin, Yellowstonne 2022, 2nd half Backpacking 4
P Shoshone Geyser Basin, Yellowstone, 2022 Backpacking 6
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 6 - Titcomb Basin to Beaver Park Backpacking 9
M Kannah Creek Basin loop, Grand Junction CO Backpacking 6
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 5 - Camp Lake to Titcomb Basin Backpacking 15
seekinglost 1000 Mile Nevada Thru Hike on the Basin and Range Trail Trip Reports 14
TeamJenkins17 Looking for info on Clark Creek drainage/Pierpont Pass into Hidden Basin in the Washakie Wilderness Trip Planning 5
Perry Henry's Fork Basin - Camp Site Suggestions Trip Planning 3
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Idaho's Cecil D. Andrus-White Clouds Wilderness : O'Calkens Lake & Bighorn Basin Backpacking 2
Mountain Wanderer Four Lakes Basin in the Southern Cabinet Mountains - Montana Backpacking 12
OldBill Short Bear Basin exploration, Wind Rivers Trip Planning 7
JuddOutdoors Hike To Grass Lake //Desolation Wilderness //Lake Tahoe Basin Hiking & Camping 0
travel2walk trip report: Wind River Range – Ross Lakes, Bear Basin, Grasshopper Glacier, & Dinwoody Creek loop, Aug-Sep 2020 Trip Reports 41
Jeremy C Early season run to Horseshoe Basin Hiking & Camping 7
WasatchWill Naturalist Basin to Middle Basin? Almost... Backpacking 6
Tim Valentine Shoshone Geyser Basin Paddle Trip 2010 On The Water 10
Mountain Wanderer High Uintas Wilderness - Granddaddy Basin Backpacking 4
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Lost River Range in Idaho : Bear Creek Lake & Upper Basin Backpacking 7
Cait Hell's Kitchen Basin - Old Pack Trail post Box Fire Trip Reports 3
WoodyBR549 Wild Basin Trip Planning 2
misSOULa Into the Winds: Titcomb Basin and Gannett Peak Attempt Backpacking 6
Mike K Kings Peak Via Garfield Basin Backpacking 18
Born to Hike Early June 3-day jaunt on the Uinta Highline Trail: Naturalist Basin, Pinto Lake, Margo Lake Backpacking 8
Jackson Naturalist Basin - September 2019 Backpacking 14
Yvonne Backpacking the Winds: From Elkhart TH to Titcomb Basin, July 2018 Backpacking 20
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the John Muir Wilderness : Humphreys Basin Backpacking 3
chandlerwest Monument Basin - Canyonlands NP - Not enough hours in a day. Hiking & Camping 6
Stephanie B First Foray into Beef Basin Hiking & Camping 3
chandlerwest Great Basin National Park - Wheeler Peak Hiking & Camping 13
McKee80 TR: Bear Lakes Basin Pine Creek TH 09-05/11-19 Backpacking 14
balzaccom Sabrina Basin exploration Backpacking 1
bdunn02 Stough Creek Basin via Twin Lakes Backpacking 7
Parma Idaho's White Cloud Mountains - Boulder Chain Lakes - Chamberlain Basin Backpacking 8
Perry Exploring above Cataract Basin - One of the Best Seats in the House Hiking & Camping 1
TrektheWorld Booth Lake Basin - Gore Range, Colorado Backpacking 7
NorthwestWanderer Yellow Aster Butte & Tomyhoi Lakes Basin, WA Hiking & Camping 11